Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Weekly IL Black and White Challenge - ending 8pm Wednesday 6th January 2021 - Hidden Self Portraits

EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2020 9:43AM
New challenge and kind of continuing the theme started by Somnath, last night (just in case the honour of starting a new theme befell me I decided to go into the Black and White Challenge themes that were started by Alison (IL) the theory being that the coming weeks theme could be based on the very first challenge that she started.

The first one she started was "Flowers/Plants" though after reading through the thread I ended up looking at previous topics and came across THIS thread for the old Monday Night Challenge. In my infinite wisdom I thought it would be interesting just in case.

For those who may have joined ephotozine post MNC the concept was similar to both the Black and White and Macro challenges but this took place on Mondays and the photos had to be taken and uploaded within one hour. In this case the judge posted a photo and entrants uploaded their entries as variants (though I think this later changed to uploads in a thread).

With the photo I linked to for some reason the entries in the variants no longer seem to work but the main photo serves as an example.

So for the coming week it is your task to take a selfie where your face is for some reason hidden. (See I am nice to you all!! Grin).

The all important rules:

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. YOUR IMAGE MUST BE TAKEN AFTER THE THEME IS ANNOUNCED.
3. The image must be uploaded in a comment in this thread by 8pm (UK time) on the following Wednesday.
4. Images must be B&W (or sepia toned).
5. Only one upload per member
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week's challenge and the judge’s decision is final.
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week.

For new participants - please be aware that should you win, you will need to set a new challenge and judge it after 'closing time' the following Wednesday.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
2 Jan 2021 1:05PM
Working at my desk. The mirror is there so that I can see the TV without having to keep turning around.

84915_1609592726.jpg
EXIF

petebfrance 9 3.0k France
4 Jan 2021 1:49PM
184684_1609768118.jpg
EXIF

Well Disguised

Apologies - the time is set wrongly on my camera (I've adjusted it now). Date is OK.
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.3k 9 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2021 8:35AM
a bit of a desperate effort I afraid....

253884_1609835730.jpg
EXIF
saltireblue Plus
10 11.8k 75 Norway
5 Jan 2021 11:35AM
128530_1609846494.jpg
EXIF

No layer masks were used in the making of this image...just layers of masks...
clicknimagine Plus
11 798 104 India
5 Jan 2021 4:46PM
At the end of the day...

116922_1609865106.jpg
EXIF
philstan 4 556 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2021 10:39AM
299484_1609929560.jpg
EXIF

Gender unsure
bluesandtwos 11 519 1 England
6 Jan 2021 11:27AM
113886_1609932285.jpg
EXIF

Once upon a Time...
314095_1609935429.jpg
EXIF

All done by mirrors...
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2021 5:39PM
A little over two and a half hours to go.
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2021 8:07PM
Okay, time is up.

I have to quickly give a six week old a bath and then will be back to make a decision. Smile
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
6 Jan 2021 8:09PM

Quote:Okay, time is up.

I have to quickly give a six week old a bath and then will be back to make a decision. Smile

Aw, so cute. Any more pics Eddie? Smile
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2021 8:50PM

Quote:
Quote:Okay, time is up.

Aw, so cute. Any more pics Eddie? Smile

28689_1609966169.jpg
EXIF

My 9 year old Louis giving Max a kiss.

Into judging now. Had got caught up in the mayhem on Capitol Hill.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
6 Jan 2021 8:54PM
So sweeeeet. Smile

The stuff on Capitol Hill is abominable. It's the stuff of a tin pot dictatorship, not the most powerful nation on Earth.
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2021 9:38PM
So back again and maybe Donald Trump will be hiding his face after the latest shenanigans in Washington but now onto the show. As per usual a brief few words on each entry.

Chris - Nice office space. a corner where you can definitely go to reflect upon things.
Pete - That's not a selfie of you in Washington, U.S.A. is it?Smile No, taken before this evening. A good face covering for protection and also some nice movement as well.
Dave (aka Dave Ryder) - Ah an infinity effect. I'm wondering if I should be judging the main photo or the one inside that.... or the one inside that...... or........
Malc - How many face coverings are required by law in Norway to go to the local off licence and buy some Scotch Whisky? It's a nice variant on your last Black and White Challenge photo as well. Smile
Somnath - Another take on a photo within a photo within a....Smile and very interesting. I spent a while studying it. My first thought in the initial few seconds was it looked like a superhero mask. Well I soon realised it wasn't but still you do upload some super photos.
Phil - Another nice idea and it must have taken some patience to match up the photo in the tablet to your hidden portrait.
Dave (aka bluesandtwos) - Nice plus a little insight into your previous line of work. Nice addition of the little character on top of the frame as well. It reminds me of a character in a children's T.V. show I used to watch when I was the age of my eldest.
Andrew - Another nice idea and some good placement of the mirrors. Also nice use of the small square mirror for partially hiding and revealing your portrait.

Okay, decision time and it is a difficult one. A great turnout and at least we have proved that some of your are not vampires. Grin

Today I have to declare that the winner is..............Dave (Dave Ryder), I did like the use of the camera and flip screen and illusion of the photo within a photo......and so on. Smile

So well done to Dave and many thanks everyone for taking part this week.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.