Use the code EXCIRE-EP to save 15% on Excire Foto Software

Weekly IL Macro Challenge ending 8pm, Sunday 16th January 2022 - Underneath

Dave's musings about Stingray last time made me think about under the water ... but that might be too tricky for the macro challenge so I have simplified it to just "Underneath". It could be underwater if you have the right gear, but otherwise it could be something you find underneath something else, or just the underneath of an object (as in my example).

The Rules:

1.The challenge is just for fun.
2. YOUR IMAGE MUST BE TAKEN AFTER THE THEME IS ANNOUNCED.
3. The image must be uploaded in a comment in this thread by 8pm (UK time) on the following Sunday
4. Only one upload per member
5. The person who hosts is the judge for that week's challenge and the judge’s decision is final
6. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week
7. Photos in the thread, no links.
8. For new participants - if you win, you will have to set and judge the next week's challenge.

314095_1641841120.jpg
EXIF
saltireblue Plus
11 12.6k 79 Norway
10 Jan 2022 7:08PM
Bottoms up, then!Tongue
Carabosse 18 41.9k 270 England
10 Jan 2022 7:24PM
Ooh, er! 🍑😁
EddieAC 17 3.3k 2 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2022 9:50PM
A photo of the wife this time then........

.....I'll get my coat. Smile
Carabosse 18 41.9k 270 England
12 Jan 2022 2:44PM
Underneath a scale model car.

9207_1641998648.jpg
EXIF
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.9k 13 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2022 7:02PM
A Lego Tie Fighter from underneath

253884_1642100548.jpg
EXIF
15 Jan 2022 10:35PM
Tomorrow is nearly here (isn't that always the way?)

So time to turn over those stones, look under those old socks, or whatever else you need to do to find something for this week's theme Smile
saltireblue Plus
11 12.6k 79 Norway
16 Jan 2022 10:48AM
I'm on top of things, Andrew, just have to turn them upside-down.Wink
saltireblue Plus
11 12.6k 79 Norway
16 Jan 2022 2:08PM
The underneath, aka sole, of one of my studded winter boots, which i use when clearing snow from the drive with the snowblower, and for my (almost) daily walks around the neighbourhood. Absolutely priceless when there's snow and ice everywhere.

Laowa 65mm macro lens @ f/16. 8 images stacked.
128530_1642342094.jpg
EXIF
16 Jan 2022 7:17PM
28689_1642360315.jpg
EXIF

Snails pace

I was a bit sluggish as usual in getting up and running for this week's challenge but made it in the end.

My intended subject was a tub of pins and clips which has dividers but while setting up I found this little guy on our bedroom wall. He had come in through an open window. I placed him on a baby sock so he stayed put as arranged and didn't roll. Then after the image was taken he was placed outside onto a fallen leaf. Smile
saltireblue Plus
11 12.6k 79 Norway
16 Jan 2022 7:21PM

Quote:
Snails pace

I was a bit sluggish as usual in getting up and running for this week's challenge but made it in the end.

My intended subject was a tub of pins and clips which has dividers but while setting up I found this little guy on our bedroom wall. He had come in through an open window. I placed him on a baby sock so he stayed put as arranged and didn't roll. Then after the image was taken he was placed outside onto a fallen leaf. Smile

What you like - you and David Attenborough!
OK, time's up.

Interesting that CB and Dave both went for a grey/red juxtaposition, very effective colour mix in both cases. On a technical note I am very impressed with the ISO6400 performance of your Olympus, Dave. I had a mark 1 (probably wasn't given that designation at the time) but moved to Fuji for the larger sensor because I couldn't get decent low light performance from the Olympus. Things have clearly moved on.

Malc, your almost monochrome image has some great textures and has a bit of an alien city look - very interesting.

And finally, I have to be impressed that Eddie captured a wild snail and managed to keep it still long enough to photograph. Great stuff and your reward for such intrepidness is that you get to take on the baton for next week, in the face of stiff competition. Maybe there's a series to plan for: we've had Blue Planet and Green Planet is on now, so perhaps "Slime Planet" next?

Thanks all for taking part and over to Eddie.
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.9k 13 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2022 8:42PM

Quote: On a technical note I am very impressed with the ISO6400 performance of your Olympus,

Using a raw file and DxO Photolab 5 UltraPrime noise removal adds a lot to the end result.

Well done Eddie, slow but sure wins the race, even at a snails pace.

Also thanks for a top challenge.... sorry bottom challenge.
16 Jan 2022 9:04PM
Many thanks Andrew and also for this week's fun. Smile

Now I guess I shall have to come out of my shell and find a theme for next week. Wink
saltireblue Plus
11 12.6k 79 Norway
16 Jan 2022 9:47PM
Thanks, Andrew for letting usget to the bottom of things, especially Eddie who rose to the top, much against the direction if the theme.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.