Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Weekly IL Macro Challenge ending 8pm Sun. 7th Feb. 2021 - Oil & water

saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 72 Norway
1 Feb 2021 8:15AM
I hope that this week's theme is not too technically problematic for you, but in trying to come up with subject matter that hasn't been used, I came up with this idea.

We are talking real macro here, not merely close-up. Others may not agree with me, but I feel there has been more close-up than macro recently, and I think it is time to get back to our roots. Discussion on this welcome. Have we been gradually veering away from true macro?

Anyway, I am including my take on what can be done with a shallow glass bowl supported on 2 piles of books, (providing room for coloured backgrounds), water, oil and a simple light source.

Get inventive with the coloured backgrounds, google the effects of adding a drop of washing-up liquid to the water and try not to spill anything!

The Rules:

The rules:
1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. YOUR IMAGE MUST BE TAKEN AFTER THE THEME IS ANNOUNCED.
3. The image must be uploaded in a comment in this thread by 8pm (UK time) on the following Sunday
4. Only one upload per member
5. The person who hosts is the judge for that week's challenge and the judge’s decision is final
6. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week
7. Photos in the thread, no links.
8. For new participants - if you win, you will have to set and judge the next week's challenge.
9. Do not use the oil & water mixture on your salad afterwards...
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 72 Norway
1 Feb 2021 8:17AM
Galactic - from my first ever session at this genre...
Taken using macro extension tubes attached to 16-80 lens.
128530_1612167411.jpg
EXIF
DaveRyder Plus
6 5.1k 8 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2021 9:08AM
'Oil and Water' - sounds like my 1972 Hillman Hunter when the head gasket went......Blush
bluesandtwos 11 505 1 England
1 Feb 2021 9:52AM

Quote:'Oil and Water' - sounds like my 1972 Hillman Hunter when the head gasket went......Blush

My old Land Rover did just the same! Grin
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2021 11:18AM
I feel this challenge will turn out very slick.
DaveRyder Plus
6 5.1k 8 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2021 12:23PM

Quote:I feel this challenge will turn out very slick.

No that was my tyres...Grin
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2021 2:18PM

Quote:
Quote:I feel this challenge will turn out very slick.

No that was my tyres...Grin

You may be in for a goodyear with this group then. Smile
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 72 Norway
1 Feb 2021 6:47PM
@airfreq

Hi George - thanks for entering, but I had to delete your image as it was taken long before the challenge was announced - see Rule 2 in the OP - welcome back with a new image taken after the opening date.Smile
1 Feb 2021 6:50PM
Ooh! Exciting! I've been wanting to try this for a long time! 😁😁😁

Quote:
Others may not agree with me, but I feel there has been more close-up than macro recently, and I think it is time to get back to our roots. Discussion on this welcome. Have we been gradually veering away from true macro?

Having been away a while I can't really comment on recent trends. And I may be mistaken but I thought it was close up and macro. (??? - genuine question) So I may have inadvertently steered the group away slightly with my last challenge. Apologies if that's the case.

To be honest, I'm happy either way and happy to go with the general consensus. I just love anything that involves being creative with my camera. 😁

saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 72 Norway
1 Feb 2021 6:54PM

Quote:Having been away a while I can't really comment on recent trends. And I may be mistaken but I thought it was close up and macro. (??? - genuine question) So I may have inadvertently steered the group away slightly with my last challenge. Apologies if that's the case.

You are not guilty, Linda, so relax.Smile
Alison and I discussed this a couple of time a couple of years ago, and came to the conclusion that as long as it was taken with a macro set-up - ie macro lens or the macro facility on a lens or with extension tubes on a normal lens, then it would be acceptable. I just get the feeling the challenge in general is going mor ein the direction of close-up than macro recently (not your doing).
Be interesting to hear what others mean...

Edit: just to clarify, when I say recently I mean recent months , not weeks...
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2021 8:02PM
In a macro group that I post to on flickr the main rule is that the whole scene should fit a measurement of 3 inches (or less) on the longest edge of the image. Whether or not an additional rule similar to that would work here could be open for a discussion.
1 Feb 2021 9:34PM
Don’t think you’re wrong Malc, I once submitted a shot (broken up camera bits..) and Alison pm’d me to suggest it was “close up” not “macro”...she was right of course..Wink

I like “macro” so I reckon we should stick with that directive..
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
1 Feb 2021 10:47PM
A macro shot is easy to spot as the depth of field will be very minimal.
Well it is when I try 1:1 magnification Sad
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 72 Norway
2 Feb 2021 7:57AM

Quote:A macro shot is easy to spot as the depth of field will be very minimal.
Well it is when I try 1:1 magnification Sad

We all know what a macro image is, JeffSmile, what I am saying is that not all images submitted are macros but close-ups. Before, there were a lot more images of detail, rather than of the whole subject. Perhaps it has something to do with the chosen themes, making if more difficult to submit an image of just a detailed part of something.
bluesandtwos 11 505 1 England
2 Feb 2021 9:29AM
I had to pm Malc when I started here a couple of weeks ago as I was uncertain where the macro image starts and finishes being 'macro'.

Like Linda above I am happy to go with the flow, but maybe some definition, without being too restrictive Smile, would be helpful to us newer bods here. I have a feeling incorporating 'close up' with 'Macro' leaves more room for manoeuvering but pure Macro more of a challenge, so either way, I'll be happy! Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.