Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

Weekly IL Macro Challenge ending 8pm Sunday 13th December 2020 - In the bleak midwinter

petebfrance 9 3.0k France
6 Dec 2020 9:33PM
This weeks challenge (suggested by my better half!) is to do with winter. Perhaps the clothing, perhaps the festivals, anything that conjures up the feeling of this coming season. The choice is yours!
Oh, and here's the tune:

The Rules:

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. YOUR IMAGE MUST BE TAKEN AFTER THE THEME IS ANNOUNCED.
3. The image must be uploaded in a comment in this thread by 8pm (UK time) on the following Sunday
4. Only one upload per member
5. The person who hosts is the judge for that week's challenge and the judge’s decision is final
6. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week
7. Photos in the thread, no links.
8. For new participants - if you win, you will have to set and judge the next week's challenge

Good luck!
It's not bleak in Devon: it's lovely and sunny at the moment, albeit a little chilly.
7 Dec 2020 4:34PM
You'll just have to imagine a nice, long, freezing Siberian winter! It's not been so bad here either, tbh., but now raining and cold so it's bleak enough for me.
DaveRyder Plus
6 5.1k 8 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2020 8:45PM
Raided out eldest Grandsons bedroom for an Acorn he picked up one winter many years ago.
It obviously means a lot to him as it's in his treasured collection box....

253884_1607546748.jpg
EXIF
10 Dec 2020 2:01PM
Gentle reminder - well, a sharp nudge with the elbow in the ribs - that as the B&W challenge has been put to bed (for a while at least) it's time to get macroing (except for Dave who's already done his entry - good for you, Dave!)
philstan 4 555 United Kingdom
11 Dec 2020 3:18PM
A wet, grey day and trees with no leaves - hope that's bleak enough.

299484_1607699843.jpg
EXIF
SlowSong Plus
12 9.5k 30 England
12 Dec 2020 11:58AM
84915_1607774267.jpg
EXIF

I tried to find something that wasn't brown. Still a bit of green left on this plant, the name of which I've forgotten. Whatever it is, it looks bleak.
13 Dec 2020 12:12PM
A further reminder.
Please note, my internet connection is 'playing ducks and drakes' - one minute up, the next down - so if I don't turn up to do the judging my apologies and hopefully somebody else will step in....
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 72 Norway
13 Dec 2020 12:41PM

Quote:A further reminder.
Please note, my internet connection is 'playing ducks and drakes' - one minute up, the next down - so if I don't turn up to do the judging my apologies and hopefully somebody else will step in....

I am sure it will be OK if you do the judging as and when you can, Peter...we are used to judges wanting to see a tv programme first, or eat, or put young ones to bed first...so judging at 8pm can sometimes stretch to both 9 and 10... (an hour later for us on CETWink)
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 72 Norway
13 Dec 2020 1:19PM
In the bleak mid-winter here in darkest Norway, it is extremely important for pedestrians to be visible, especially in rural areas where you are forced to walk along the road due to the lack of pavements along the country roads - such is the case in the valley where I live.
Reflective discs, roughly 3 or 4 inches in diameter have been for decades the accepted way to be seen in the dark. They attach to your coat or jacket and hang freely, so they move as you walk and are easily picked up by the headlights of approaching vehicles. Nowadays, they are considered old-fashioned, and flexible hi-vis bands round the arms or areas of hi-vis material in the coat/jacket design are more the in thing.
These are a few decades old and as you can see, are well-used.
128530_1607865574.jpg
EXIF

Santa in the snow.

In the bleak midwinter - Santa came all the way from his traditional Hawaiian home to cheer us up. Grin

314095_1607880656.jpg
EXIF
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2020 6:10PM
28689_1607882892.jpg
EXIF

Bobble Hat

The bobble of a Bobble Hat, an item of headwear that is usually used in cold weather and ideally suited to keeping the braincells warm and working fine.
13 Dec 2020 8:30PM
OK, folks, time for the denoue-er the moment of truth. This is going to be quick because my internet connection is not reliable, but a few (tongue-in-cheek) comments as usual:
DaveRyder - plenty of detail, nice and Christmassy (not sure it's an acorn though)
Philstan - yep, that's bleak. I wasn't sure I wanted them really bleak, tbh, but it matches the title. Nice water drops.
Slowsong (alias Chris) - looks a bit like some of thae salad that we get here, definitely bleak!
Saltireblue (alias Malc, moderator sir) - that's a rather nice tradition, far nicer than hi-vis stuff. I'm a sucker for old-style stuff like that!
Andrew Thompson - what can I say? Well, yes, I love it but not what I'd expect in a grass skirt!
EddieAC - you know, I never thought of you as being a bobble-hat kind of chap, but definitely winterish!

OK, a decision before my connection dies on me. I think, all things being considered, and other delaying tactics, that this week I'll go with Phil's bleak shot, so over to you Phil for next-weeks challenge.
Well done Phil, great water drops on that branch. And thanks Pete for the challenge, it was fun to lay out a snow field of sugar for my santa to enjoy!
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 72 Norway
13 Dec 2020 8:41PM
Well done to Peter on his first stint as a judge for a while - good to see you still have the knack 😎
Well done also to French telecom for keeping the connection long enough for Peter to get the job done.

Well done to the bleakest of the bleak, In this instance, Phil.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.