Weekly Macro Challenge - Discussion

Attention!

This topic is locked.

SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
10 Jun 2020 10:46PM

Quote:
Quote: With "us regulars" then we trust each other.

Yes, using a photo that was taken prior to the theme being posted is actually detrimental to the person who has taken that photo as it completely removes their opportunity of creativity.

With regard to exif I'm sure it will not be too difficult for Rick and the team to get that info displayed just underneath each photo in the thread or to create some code that does not allow photos to be posted if they were taken prior to the thread being created.

Good to see someone taking it seriously. Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
10 Jun 2020 11:01PM

Quote:Good to see someone taking it seriously.

Not too sure exactly what you are saying here, Chris. Don't you trust the people who enter the challenges on a regular basis?
11 Jun 2020 8:22AM

Quote:Just out of curiosity, What will happen to the current galleries for the Black & White and Macro challenges? I assume they will be archived somewhere or just left where they are so we can browse through occasionally.
The plan is to completely remove groups altogether, analytics shows that other than current activity around the weekly challenges, all the historic uploads aren't viewed at all. Having said that I appreciate they have value, but I have to balance whether it's worth rebuilding something that may not be used. The solution might be access to the files on request, not sure yet.

Quote:With regard to exif I'm sure it will not be too difficult for Rick and the team to get that info displayed just underneath each photo in the thread...
It's something I've been thinking about, since it would be beneficial for all photos uploaded to the Forums, now it's been raised I'll add it to the upgrades list. Although it's worth pointing out that it's easy to change the date taken EXIF record, so not a guaranteed measure of when it was actually taken.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
11 Jun 2020 9:56AM
Over in the b&w challenge, Phil has kindly amended the rules so that they are more appropriate to the new format we are using. I think those new rules can be adopted here in the macro challenge, so I suggest that from now on the rules are:

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. Your image must be taken after the theme is announced.
3. The image must be uploaded in a comment in this thread by 8pm (UK time) on the following Wednesday
4. Images only in this thread - discussion in the 'Weekly Macro Challenge - Discussion' thread
5. Only one upload per member
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week's challenge and the judge’s decision is final
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week

I have amended the rules in the current challenge.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
11 Jun 2020 9:59AM

Quote:
Quote:Good to see someone taking it seriously.

Not too sure exactly what you are saying here, Chris. Don't you trust the people who enter the challenges on a regular basis?

Not too sure exactly. Wink
(Joke alert. Duh!)
SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
11 Jun 2020 10:01AM

Quote:With regard to exif I'm sure it will not be too difficult for Rick and the team to get that info displayed just underneath each photo in the thread...

It's something I've been thinking about, since it would be beneficial for all photos uploaded to the Forums, now it's been raised I'll add it to the upgrades list. Although it's worth pointing out that it's easy to change the date taken EXIF record, so not a guaranteed measure of when it was actually taken.

I've just clicked on an image uploaded to the macro challenge and it takes me to the full size pic with all the info, as usual. Seems good enough to me.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
11 Jun 2020 11:11AM

Quote:

I've just clicked on an image uploaded to the macro challenge and it takes me to the full size pic with all the info, as usual. Seems good enough to me.

That only applies if the image has been loaded from a pf. Images loaded directly from your device into the topic will still show up large when clicked, but will lack all the information associated with images from pf's.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
11 Jun 2020 11:23AM
Ah, all is clear.
EddieAC Plus
15 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2020 3:30PM
Maybe the solution here is to write a batch routine that will analyse the past threads for the challenges and import the relevant photos for the dates into the threads. It could also show the title and usernames for each photo.

Then I guess the threads could be transferred to the relevant section.

There are around 3,549 Black and White Challenge photos and 4,018 Macro Challenge photos so it would be a hefty task to do so by hand.
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.4k 7 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2020 5:31PM
I've been fond of adding a banker shot and then perhaps removing and replacing if I get a better one. Possible in group uploads.

However, in a discussion thread a comment cannot be edited (or removed) after a short period of time.

We should remember - upload only when happy.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
12 Jun 2020 5:50PM

Quote:I've been fond of adding a banker shot and then perhaps removing and replacing if I get a better one. Possible in group uploads.

However, in a discussion thread a comment cannot be edited (or removed) after a short period of time.

We should remember - upload only when happy.

Tip me the wink when you upload a new/improved/better image and I'll dispose of the older/inferior/worse one.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
13 Jun 2020 2:40PM
Just a reminder to those judging each week...clicking on an image will either open large in a new tab, or take you to the pf image where you can click again to see the large view...a recent change to make judging images easier...applies to all images uploaded in the forums.
EddieAC Plus
15 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2020 7:16PM
I will just add that when I uploaded my image I didn't add any exif info but it was taken

13th June 2020
f/16
1 sec
ISO 200
saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
14 Jun 2020 8:34PM
Just so everyone is clear on this...images only in the topic that is created each week. This so the one judging doesn't have to wade through random comments to see all the images. This will make it as easier for the judge to, well, judge.Wink
All comments, including the judges decision, and any other banter to be in the discussion thread.Smile
SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
14 Jun 2020 8:45PM
Well it didn't say anything about the results in the instructions.
Anyway, Phil, it's you.