Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Welsh Badger Cull

29 Jul 2009 12:27AM

Quote:Some members level of ignorance is simply astounding

Quote:
It seems very simple to kill everything and problem solved.

Ermm..I'm confused now...seems a contradiction.... so I agree with...

Quote:Just another example of our wonderful countryside management. If you think there's a problem, blame something and kill it!

Oh and....

Quote:None of them seem to accept that they have dug themselves into a big hole, by living on subsidies for years, and enjoying a well paid lifestyle at the expense of the European purse, without actually growing anything of value

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Zatoichi 10 707 United Kingdom
29 Jul 2009 12:46AM

Quote:Quote:Some members level of ignorance is simply astoundingQuote:
It seems very simple to kill everything and problem solved. Ermm..I'm confused now...seems a contradiction.... so I agree with...

Quote:Just another example of our wonderful countryside management. If you think there's a problem, blame something and kill it!Oh and....

Quote:None of them seem to accept that they have dug themselves into a big hole, by living on subsidies for years, and enjoying a well paid lifestyle at the expense of the European purse, without actually growing anything of value

Do you have a point?
geoffash26 15 2.5k United Kingdom
29 Jul 2009 7:38AM

Quote:Quote:Just another example of our wonderful countryside management. If you think there's a problem, blame something and kill it!Good job that isn't applied on epz

Sometimes I think we should Wink
Henchard 14 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
29 Jul 2009 7:40AM

Quote: You have the internet and presumably google? Before you start to patronise perhaps make an educated judgement based on your findings? It seems very simple to kill everything and problem solved. I hope you haven't swine flu.

Patronise? If you mean to treat in a patronising manner; well I'm not the one who called somebody ignorant in the forum. As for the internet it is a very dodgy place to get your information which is why I asked you let us know, in your educated superiority, how many papers you had read about the microbiology, disease transmission and the vectors involved etc. Perhaps you could advise us of your scientific qualifications as well.

I stated up front I didn't have enough knowledge to make a judgement about the subject. As for killing everything to solve problems; I was raising the question about apparent hypocrisy in this respect.
29 Jul 2009 8:08AM

Quote:
John Craven, did an investigation for Country File hat raised a question about modern farming practices leaving cattle less immune to TB and other problems. You would need to watch the program for the full facts.

Let me get this correct the BVA has an expert policy committee, probably composed of (or will at least have access to) academics, practising vets, epidemiologists and microbiologists who have reviewed all the evidence and stated that culling is necessary in their opinion. Whilst John Craven is a journalist whose qualifications include presenting Swap Shop and Saturday Superstore. You're saying that I will get all the facts from the later?
bppowell 18 2.2k 2 England
29 Jul 2009 9:06AM
The BVA were replying to a report by DEFRA, below a short extract from that report,
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Has badger culling reduced TB in cattle?
Although many thousands of badgers have been killed over period of more than 30 years, the incidence of TB in cattle has not decreased. Indeed, over recent years the number of cases has increased. Killing badgers does not therefore appear to have had any effect. Some argue that this is because badgers do not pass TB on to cattle; others argue that too few badgers have been killed and this is why levels of TB in cattle are increasing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Badger pages,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since this page was first prepared, more conclusive information has become available showing that the major source of TB infection in cattle is in fact other cattle, which are responsible for about 80% of TB infection. The source of the remaining 20% appears to be badgers. Killing badgers in areas where cattle have TB has been shown to bring about a slight reduction in cattle TB in the areas where culling takes place - but also an increase in cattle TB around the edges of those areas. The information on this page needs to be updated and this will be done soon. For more information in the meantime, see the Badger Trust website.

Badger Pages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it is not just John Cravan.

Barry
29 Jul 2009 9:39AM

Quote:The BVA were replying to a report by DEFRA, below a short extract from that report,

Not the link I referred to . You are I believe referring to the BVA response to a DEFRA consultation in 2006. I referred to their policy document of 2 weeks ago in particular their view that

Control measures in cattle must be accompanied by simultaneous and coordinated measures in badgers and other wildlife and susceptible farmed species including deer and camelids for the success of any eradication programme.

Failure to tackle wildlife sources of infection has prolonged the presence of the disease in all affected species populations.

In certain circumstances, targeted and managed badger culling is necessary in carefully selected areas where badgers are regarded as a significant contributor to the persistent presence of bTB.
bppowell 18 2.2k 2 England
29 Jul 2009 9:47AM

Quote: badgers and other wildlife

This is missed by a lot of people that it will not be just badgers, I also think we could debate the pros and cons for ever but it will not change what is going to happen.

I do not agree with the cull but only time will tell if it is effective.

Barry
NikLG 14 1.7k England
29 Jul 2009 1:08PM
I am welsh, and since I have recently grown a beard that has quite a bit of grey in it, I will not be going back until this is over.
Not for any political reasons, I just don't fancy being accidentaly culled....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.