WEX Part Exchange - Warning

23 Jul 2014 6:59PM
I had a similar experience with WEX. I put in the details of my camera for a part exchange and got a reasonable quote back via email, pending inspection. When WEX contacted me after the inspection the revised quote was half the original and they said there was fungus on the mirror. I was surprised at this as I had just had it cleaned at my local dealer as I intended to sell.
The man on the phone said it would need to be cleaned by a technician, luckily I had read this post previously and as a precaution on my part told them to return the camera.
After getting it back I took it back to my local dealer and told him about the fungus on the mirror, he checked and said it was completely clean.

Iím not making an accusation, just thought this might help the more naive, sellers like myself be more aware of the processes and pitfalls.
I have bought a lot from WEX, over the years and always found them excellent, I hope their standards continue.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dcash29 13 2.3k England
23 Jul 2014 7:34PM
Maybe the staff at WEX need to clean the fungus off their inspection goggles Wink
steve_p 14 1.2k England
24 Jul 2014 6:14AM
I have sold several items to MPB, they have always paid the price they quoted. Would that be because I have always been totally honest in my own interpretation of the condition of my stuff to sell?
crerand7 4 2 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2014 3:56PM
This is my first post and I regret it being a negative one.
After sending two lenses to Wex part exchange I came across this topic, and became a tad worried, although the two lenses I sent had been checked thoroughly by me for any faults . A few days later a member of staff from Wex phoned me to discuss the lenses.
One was fine and as described and got the amount offered by them. The other was rated a notch below as new due to some minor marks ? Fair enough, as it was only £10 less than offered. And then the dreaded ` fungus on the lens` quote was unleashed. ` Our inspectors have found fungus on the lens. We can arrange for this to be sent off for cleaning and the amount would be deducted from their offer !!
Knowing this to be untrue I immediately requested the return of the lenses to me. On hearing this the Wex staff member offered to speak to her manager. 10 minutes later she called back to apologise for their mistake - the manager had examined the lens and found the `fungus` to be light dust only ! They were very sorry for the mistake ! To think that if I had given the go ahead for the ` cleaning` it would have been at my expense and for no good reason.
As this `problem` seems to have occurred previously to others, it begs the question as to the ability, if any, of the Wex equipment checkers.
My own personal opinion is that this branch of the normally ok Wex firm is not as above board as it should be , and I would never again seek to use its p/x services. PART EXCHANGER BEWARE !
This was the first time I had used the Wex part exchange, as for reasons it suited this time. Wex could learn much from the photographic firm MBP Photography,whom I have had several superb part exchange transactions with in the past, and whose professionalism and integrity are the benchmark that Wex should be aiming to reach.
dcash29 13 2.3k England
24 Dec 2014 9:08PM
I wonder if this is an age related issue for the item. To save any future returns and loss of revenue once the lens is sold on?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.