What are your ND and ND GRAD Filter recommendations?

cosmic_spunk 11 15 Switzerland
2 Jan 2009 8:18PM
After some sound advice from my fellow forum members and some lengthy research trying to decide the right filter setup for my 16-35 and 5DMKII, I have ordered the Cokin X Pro along with a Universal holder.... now I need to get filters custom made [170mm x 130mm] for this setup.

I wanted to know what are your recommendations wrt the filters. I have in mind the following:

ND
4 Stop Lee

ND GRAD

2.5 Stop Soft Lee
3 Stop Hard Lee
3 Stop Daryl Benson [Singh-Ray] Reverse ND Grad

This should set me back by about 500 USD.... I hope these filters are like lenses, which can last me atleast for 5 years +

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
2 Jan 2009 8:22PM
A 2 stop soft grad is my best friend, followed by my 3 - 1 stop 121F or 'blended' as Lee call it. Smile
Tooth 15 5.8k 227 Ireland
2 Jan 2009 10:22PM
it depends what you want them for. Is the 4 stop Nd for slowing down shutter times for blurred water etc?

As for the grads, it's a matter of taste on here, and some tend to use 4 or more stops as the norm for a "moody" kind of shot. However, I get by with a 1-stop and a 2-stop Lee. - used together they give 3 stops and i've never wanted more than that.

Stephen
ade_mcfade 15 15.2k 216 England
2 Jan 2009 10:49PM
depends also on the time of day you shoot, if you've got 5 stops on at noon on a bright day, the sky can look almost black compared to the land.

same setup at sunset, it can look bob on

same set up on a moody day, you get a really daunting effect.

I'd get a 2 and 3 stop ND grad and not bother with an ND. You should be able to fully cover your lens with the dark end of your ND grads and use those as ND's
Maddie 14 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2009 10:52PM
lol i thought dark and dreary was the in thing on epz lately Wink
2 Jan 2009 10:54PM
dark and moody is the new.... errr.... dark and moody on EPZ Wink
Maddie 14 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2009 11:09PM
moody thats the word i missed Wink
Tooth 15 5.8k 227 Ireland
3 Jan 2009 12:13AM
The pictures or the people? Wink Smile (present company excluded....) Smile
3 Jan 2009 12:37AM
...both I think Wink
3 Jan 2009 1:07AM

Quote:It depends what you want them for. Is the 4 stop Nd for slowing down shutter times for blurred water etc?

As for the grads, it's a matter of taste on here, and some tend to use 4 or more stops as the norm for a "moody" kind of shot. However, I get by with a 1-stop and a 2-stop Lee. - used together they give 3 stops and i've never wanted more than that.

Stephen

Stephen, I was looking to be able to capture pictures similar to these..... and as you mentioned, to slow the flow of water.

ND Pic 1
ND Pic 2
ND Pic 3

I prefer to capture images close to how I view them, so I think I can live without a 3 stop ND Grad, so I think I will be considering the 1 and 2 stop ND Grads for now from Lee...

Does anybody have any experience with the Reverse Singh Rays?
flyingseale 12 400 3 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2009 8:14PM

Quote:I prefer to capture images close to how I view them, so I think I can live without a 3 stop ND Grad, so I think I will be considering the 1 and 2 stop ND Grads for now from Lee...

Just my opinion, but looking at the second and third images you linked don't think you'll ever use the 1-stop grad. I've got 2-stop hard, 3-stop hard and 3-stop soft. If I had a 1-stop grad it would only ever be used with a 3 to make 4. The 2 on it's own would not be enough for most evening shots.

Mike
flyingseale 12 400 3 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2009 8:34PM

Quote:Does anybody have any experience with the Reverse Singh Rays?

No. But it seems like an excellent piece of kit. If you can afford it go for it, but you might want to speak to Lee first to see if they can make you an equivalent for less than $200 which was the cost of the Singh Ray last time I looked.

Mike
discreetphoton Plus
15 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2009 9:04PM
And the first image looks like a flashgun job, not an ND
BigCol 18 1.8k 1 Scotland
3 Jan 2009 9:30PM

Quote:I hope these filters are like lenses, which can last me at least for 5 years +

If you go for Lee filters they'll re-dye the filters at any time in the future when they eventually fade.
I've had mine for over 10 years and had them re-dyed, for free, a while ago. Lee's after sale service is second to none, in my opinion.
I've also used the Hitech, although only in the 75mm size back in my OM days when a 75mm filter was more than adequate!
My current filter kit consists of a complete set of 5 soft ND grad's (1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 & 3 stops), 3 hard ND grad's (1, 2 & 3 stops) and a set of polyester ND's (all Lee) I also have a set of warm up filters hanging around from my MF days.
Of those I rarely use the 1 stop grad's, mostly to double up with other filters and these days the warm-ups are pretty much redundant!
5 Jan 2009 9:09AM

Quote:
I'd get a 2 and 3 stop ND grad and not bother with an ND. You should be able to fully cover your lens with the dark end of your ND grads and use those as ND's

Thanks ade... never thought of that !!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.