What batteries do you use?

joshwa Plus
9 909 1 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2020 11:08AM
Do you use AA batteries, if so, do you use rechargeable batteries, such as eneloop?
I tend to try and get/use rechargeable batteries, but can never find them (or the charger) when I need them.
When you buy spare lithium batteries, do you stick with the manufacturers or buy third party (Duracell, or others?)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken Plus
17 5.0k 4 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2020 11:20AM
I don't use AA batteries . Several months ago I lost my manufacturers battery for my Panasonic compact and purchased a third part one and the results are just as good. In fact, I've purchased a couple more from the same supplier and am well pleased.
saltireblue Plus
9 10.2k 52 Norway
14 Feb 2020 11:26AM
I use only eneloops. If I buy something that comes with batteries, as soon as they need replacing I put eneloops in the gadget.
Jasper87 Plus
10 2.4k 158 England
14 Feb 2020 11:52AM
Whatever is on offer in Sainsburys! Grin
pink Plus
16 6.3k 8 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2020 12:44PM
I use eneloops for AA and AAA, I use 3rd party batteries as spares for my main camera battery as I refuse to pay £60 for a genuine Canon one, 3rd party batteries I find last about half the genuine ones, but at about 1/6th of the price that's fine with me.
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 621 England
14 Feb 2020 3:08PM
Eneloops in AA size for flashguns.
Third party Li ion batteries for my cameras in addition to the OEM ones that came with them.
I have a few alkaline AA and AAA just in case.
Dave_Canon Plus
13 1.6k United Kingdom
14 Feb 2020 5:30PM
For my DSLR camera I use the Li Ion which came with the camera plus a spare which is also a genuine Canon. I do this because for my previous camera I bought a reputable 3rd party battery which only held barely half the charge but also got worse and probably about 1/4 the life. I do not wish to carry excess weight nor want to be let down on a shoot. I rarely need the back up battery but usually when I am using live view.

Dave
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
14 Feb 2020 7:38PM

Quote:For my DSLR camera I use the Li Ion which came with the camera plus a spare which is also a genuine Canon. I do this because for my previous camera I bought a reputable 3rd party battery which only held barely half the charge but also got worse and probably about 1/4 the life.
Dave

The OP seems to be asking about AA batteries (presumably for flashguns) rather than Li-ion for many camera.
Like you I made the mistake of getting independent brand (Duracell) batteries with realising they had only 60% of the capacity of Nikon. In actual use they loose charge much quicker than Nikon - and do not work in more recent bodies so I ended up wasting £50 (for 2) by giving them away Sad
If I had got a Nikon for similar money it would still be in my kit bag.

On to AA alkaline are a long way from green. Ni-cads loose capacity at about 2.5% a day making them close to useless if you do not use a flash gun for 2 months. I use NiMh rechargeable which cost about 60% more for each battery with advantages of still having 75% of their charge after 12 months and being re-chargeable at least 100 times.

Keeping the charger and any unused NiMh in a specific place in the same drawer does not take much self-discipline.
14 Feb 2020 7:46PM
Yup...Eneloops for me too...and an Ansmann recharger which I believe..”empties” them first and recharges them, with a built in fan to keep them cool during this process. No problems encountered..
Jestertheclown 11 8.1k 252 England
14 Feb 2020 8:48PM
Amazon , although I've never seen any that colour, which are reputedly rebranded Eneloops.
They certainly offer excellent performance.

For my DSLRs, my spares are aftermarket jobbies, mostly by Ex-Pro. I've got types for three different cameras and they all perform and last at least as well and as long as the genuine (and ridiculously overpriced) Nikon ones that came with the cameras.
EddieAC 15 2.6k 2 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2020 10:13PM
I have several rechargeable AA Duracell batteries for use with my flashguns.

I have spare third party batteries for my Nikon D70 which works totally fine.

I bought a third party battery grip for my Nikon D200 and this came with a spare battery (Hahnel) which worked fine at first until the camera began freezing when taking a photo, the mirror would go up and the first curtain would fire but then nothing. The camera would also not turn off, the top LCD screen would stay on and the battery would show as empty even if it had just been charged. Removing the battery reset the shutter but the problem remained when using both the third party battery and the Nikon branded one. I thought it might have been a camera fault at first but when trying again after a few days the camera worked totally fine with the Nikon battery. I put the cause down to a poor third party battery causing havoc with the cameras electronics which caused the symptoms even when the Nikon branded one was inserted. I've never used the Hahnel battery again and the problem has never occurred since. I think a few days with no battery inserted cleared the camera's electronics.

I am looking at spare batteries for my D7000 though as I still only have the Nikon one for that. Reviews on Amaz0n look okay so I may give some a go as I would like to have a go at star trails and a bit more power would be nice. Smile
16 Feb 2020 9:15AM

Quote:.and an Ansmann recharger which I believe..”empties” them first and recharges them, with a built in fan to keep them cool during this process. No problems encountered..

Ansmann make a range of chargers - and charge relatively slowly.
The one I have has programs for top up only, disgorge and recharge - and discharge and re-charge several times to renew a battery that is not performing. This last option typically takes around 2 days.
16 Feb 2020 9:20AM

Quote:
For my DSLRs, my spares are aftermarket jobbies, mostly by Ex-Pro. I've got types for three different cameras and they all perform and last at least as well and as long as the genuine (and ridiculously overpriced) Nikon ones that came with the cameras.

Most independent batteries (based on web feedback) work with current cameras, but often stop working with new body introductions.

The Energizer I had were marked as having only 60% of the Nikon battery capacity.

I got 2 official Nikon latest batteries for Nikon Z7 for £37.80 each - which I consider reasonable; especially having regard to the numerous web reports with other brand batteries.
Jestertheclown 11 8.1k 252 England
16 Feb 2020 9:51AM

Quote:
I am looking at spare batteries for my D7000 though as I still only have the Nikon one for that. Reviews on Amaz0n look okay so I may give some a go as I would like to have a go at star trails and a bit more power would be nice. Smile

I used ExPro batteries in mine.

As I've said, they were (and still are in my D7200) at least as good as the Nikon ones that I've got.
thewilliam2 2 1.4k
16 Feb 2020 10:01AM
I don't trust reviews because they're easily bought.

Camera batteries fron Delkin or Duracell have been as good as the originals. I wouldn't buy from Amazzon because it's basically a market-place. Can we be certain that all their traders are straight? I'd rather use a supplier like MyMemory or 7 day shop.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.