Get An Extra 20% Off Regatta New Season Arrivals

What Bike?

bangalicious 13 1.3k 5 England
26 Jul 2011 9:41AM
Are you buying a bike through the cycle to work scheme? If so, have a chat with the bike supplier and discuss whats best for you.
I joined the C2W in March this year, went to my local Evans (MK) and had a good 20 minute conversation about all the different options of bikes. I went down the Hybird route, purely because my 12 mile journey to work is 50% tarmac track or road and 50% gravel tow path. Handles is very well and is pretty quick on the tarmac. For info, I have a Trek T10.
I think for you, a road bike would be better suited if you are avoiding tracks etc.

Dont forget, you will need to spend decent money on accesories. Usually about 10% of the bikes value on a decent approved lock. And also dont forget lights, puncture repair kit, computer etc. Helmet is your choice, i like to use one as part of my journey is thorugh a wooded area and stops my head getting scratched! I spent a good 150 on accessories.
dcash29 15 2.4k England
26 Jul 2011 10:28AM
You could look at one of THESE

and add the full mudguards/cycle pannier. Weight 14kg

edit... dont forget a Gel seat cover
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2011 10:40AM
If you end up with a mountain bike make sure you put hybrid tyres on. I have these Continentals on mine and the difference is amazing.

You can get commuter bikes these days, which I suppose are a hybrid. Strength of a mountain bike but lighter.

Have fun

Ian
cambirder 17 7.2k England
26 Jul 2011 11:25AM

Quote:edit... dont forget a Gel seat cover

No! definitely forget gel seats or covers, they are OK for very short rides but are a pain for longer ones. You can't beat a Brooks leather job (once broken in that is)
26 Jul 2011 11:46AM
I wouldn't bother with a gel cover but my experience of gel saddles is a happy one, even after 200+ miles in 3 days
bangalicious 13 1.3k 5 England
26 Jul 2011 12:19PM

No! definitely forget gel seats or covers, they are OK for very short rides but are a pain for longer ones. You can't beat a Brooks leather job (once broken in that is)

Quote:I wouldn't bother with a gel cover but my experience of gel saddles is a happy one, even after 200+ miles in 3 days

+ 1! Dont bother wasting the money on the them, get a decent leather seat.
dcash29 15 2.4k England
26 Jul 2011 5:16PM

No! definitely forget gel seats or covers

fair enough, although i cycled quite a lot of miles while in France and had no problem
27 Jul 2011 8:55AM
Me neither, not sure what the problem is supposed to be with gel saddles. I wouldn't go for a cover as I would expect them not to fit properly and therefore be less than comfortable, but I have had gel saddles for over 20 years and never had a problem.
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
27 Jul 2011 9:15AM
My gel 'Sofa Saddle' was OK over my 6 years of Silver Cycling.Smile
nickp 16 491 Scotland
27 Jul 2011 9:29AM
Well there's gel and there's gel. Saddles are obviously a very personal thing and success with one depends on the configuration of your sit bones, the amount and type of clothing you wear, the amount of well fitting padding you wear, how flabby you are in the upper thigh region, how long you spend in the saddle, the geometry of the bike etc etc. What works for one person may not work as well for someone else. The usual mistake people make when picking up cycling after a long break is to get a saddle that is too big but that feels immediately comfortable. After a very few miles they begin to see the error of their ways.

Me I don't get on with soft saddles at all, or sprung ones, or wide ones. I prefer narrower hardish saddles for most of the types of riding I do and get on very nicely with a Sella Italia (Flite I think), but that's not a recommendation.

Maybe the best bet would be to go to a local bike shop (LBS) who can advise on the different models of bike available, and if they are any good may operate a saddle loan service where you can try out a range of saddles on a sale or return basis, which is what my LBS did for me albeit with strict instructions not to scratch the saddle! Wouldn't it be great if you could try out cameras like that?! "I'd like to try a different camera please - this one chafes like crazy!"
27 Jul 2011 9:38AM

Quote:"I'd like to try a different camera please - this one chafes like crazy!"

Grief!!! Where do you stash your camera gear, then? Smile
whipspeed 17 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 9:52AM

Quote:Me I don't get on with soft saddles at all, or sprung ones, or wide ones. I prefer narrower hardish saddles for most of the types of riding I do and get on very nicely with a Sella Italia (Flite I think), but that's not a recommendation.

That's the one hubby has always used on training and race bikes. Don't think they make them any more so he has a stock of old worn in ones.
nickp 16 491 Scotland
27 Jul 2011 9:57AM

Quote:"I'd like to try a different camera please - this one chafes like crazy!"

Grief!!! Where do you stash your camera gear, then? Smile

Brings tears to the eyes ....
27 Jul 2011 9:58AM
Narrow saddles were OK when I was young. In my dotage I found that the narrow saddles were a pain in the proverbial. Each bump was agony.Sad

Hence the sofa saddle.Smile
27 Jul 2011 10:27AM
I would say the most common mistake people make when taking up cycling is actually not the saddle but wearing pants/underpants with too many seams. It is normally the seams which chafe rather than the saddle.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.