Get Up To 30% Off Regatta Waterproof Jackets

What Bike?

JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
27 Jul 2011 11:02AM

Quote:wearing pants/underpants

Suppose the solution is not to wear any ! !
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 11:15AM
One of them. Wink
whipspeed 17 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 11:19AM
Most don't wear any under their cycling shorts Wink the other saddle solution to try is one of the saddles with a gap running down the middle or an Adamo saddle, which a few racing people I know have tried.
jimthistle73 17 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 11:50AM
Yup - a good pair of padded cycling shorts, coupled with a Charge Spoon saddle will see you right (no pants are the way forward...).

And also, just wanted to second what Munro said back on page one - a cyclocross (CX) bike sounds ideal for you. You can do some pretty demanding offroad stuff on them - I've seen guys at Glentress flying down the black run on them, but they're also going to be a lot faster on road / towpaths etc. They're basically beefed up road bikes with the added advantage of dic brake compatibility (better stopping power ).

A mate of mine has the Genesis Croix-de-Fer which is excellently reviewed and certainly within your budget if you can find a second hand one.
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 12:15PM
I've also heard banana skins are a good way to prevent chafing! Not for me though, I'm allergic to bananas. Grin
CaptivePhotons 18 1.7k 2 England
27 Jul 2011 9:52PM
I think I've now settled on this one: Lapierre Speed 300

I have to make a decision so please don't try to put me off Tongue
28 Jul 2011 9:07AM
Don't forget to try before you buy. Make sure it is comfortable, for instance I find the top tube of most bikes too long for me and get back ache.
fraser 17 631 14 Scotland
28 Jul 2011 9:52AM

Quote:I think I've now settled on this one: Lapierre Speed 300

I have to make a decision so please don't try to put me off Tongue

Don't want to put you off but that looks like a single speed. You do not want a single speed bike - pure cycling but hard work.
mohikan22 17 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2011 10:03AM
He is WRONG ! it IS NOT A SINGLE SPEED it has intenral gears in the rear hub (8speed)
as a retired bike tech/pro repairer we see these things Grin
Matt.
mohikan22 17 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2011 10:05AM
and to add ( i wasnt being snappish at Fraser, it meant to just be a statement to the contrary) its a very good bike for "round the town and a little country trail ways". halfords sell similar ones in their carrera range calle the subway 8 i believe
fraser 17 631 14 Scotland
28 Jul 2011 11:30AM
I stand corrected, especially when I'm shouted at.Tongue

It's hardly bleeding obvious from the website. It makes no mention of gears that I can see, it has a single chainring and a 20 tooth sprocket, and it looks like a single speed in the photograph. There is a mention of a shifter in the spec, but it's the only thing that suggests it has gears.
28 Jul 2011 12:08PM
Just to add another to the mix. I've got the ladies version of this bike It weighs in at a lot less than most of the bikes, has a good range of gears & carbon forks. I've taken it on the road and off road round a local track and it performs really well.
jimthistle73 17 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2011 3:43PM
Should do the job nicely, and the Alfine hub will save on lots of maintenance.... But it is a bit fugly - whipspeed's link is much prettier!
28 Jul 2011 3:44PM
Lighter & a few more gears for going uphill too Smile
cambirder 17 7.2k England
28 Jul 2011 4:40PM

Quote:& a few more gears

More is not always better, and it is difficult to compare hub gears with derailleur gears which always have a batch of duplicate gears which is why the 14 speed hub geared bike I have just ordered gives me just as many gears as the 27 speed derailleur geared bike I'm currently using without the hassle of doubling changing every time I need to select a different chain ring. A hub gear also lets you select any gear when you are stationary which is a handy feature.

P.S. I know you have already pushed the budget but if you can stretch to the Speed 400 it comes with the newer, lighter and superior 11 speed Alfine.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.