Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

What Bike?

whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2011 4:46PM
I need as many as I can get. I am not fit and really, really hate going uphill Smile
JohnParminter 14 1.3k 14 England
28 Jul 2011 4:57PM
[quote it has internal gears in the rear hub (8speed)

A Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub was all I needed when I were a lad.......with twist grip of course.

Anyone remember the good old days of Choppers and Grifters, eee, bikes aren't like they used to be.

Grin

I think your choice looks pretty cool thatbloke.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
28 Jul 2011 5:10PM
Its not how many you have but how low they go Wink

My Dawes Galaxy has a low gear of 22.6 inches which is fine for East Anglia but I often look for a lower gear I don't have on more hilly tours. Highest is about 120 inches which I never use, so I've gone for a 19.6-101 inch range for the new steed.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
28 Jul 2011 5:13PM

Quote:A Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub was all I needed when I were a lad.......with twist grip of course.

Single speed bikes seem to have made a big comeback around here. Provided you get the gearing right should be fine on the flat. Very low maintenance and beautiful clean chain line.
Strobe 13 1.3k United States
28 Jul 2011 10:59PM

Quote:
Single speed bikes seem to have made a big comeback around here.

Single speeds are fantastic, I do quite a bit of mountain biking, I had a full suspension and a hardtail. Four years ago I converted the hardtail into a single speed and found it so much fun and challenging while doing technical trails that I got rid of the full suspension.

I think commuting also suits single speed bikes, providing you don't live in Brecon Beacons , the problem I found is a lot are designed as funky city bikes (courier style, small frame - narrow handle bars).

The bike you choose is obviously dependant on your works outfit and terain. I cycle to to the station, part of the cycle is along a canal with gravel. In my previous job I wore jeans which was not a problem, now I need to wear suits. This became challenging in winter with mud as my commuting bike was a geared mountain bike which has limited mud guards.

I now find that a single speed Dutch style bike is more suitable, single speed - mud guards - chain guard - etc (etc is a basket for my briefcase and the fact that no self respecting hoodie wants to nick a bike with a basket Tongue )

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.