Don't Miss Out On Great WEX Offers - Find Out More

What can CS do that Elements can't?

slimtim 16 191
3 Jul 2007 5:18PM
How much simplified is PS Elements to PS CS2/3? I need to get a copy of one or the other at some point but don't know if it is really worth spending the extra 500 on the full bells and whistles version.

My view is that elements must be heavily cut down to justify the price difference so would it be very restricting in what I could achieve?

Thanks in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
3 Jul 2007 6:14PM
There are some major differences in the programs overall capability.

But in all honesty you will not go wrong with say Elements 5, As a starter, It has all the basic functions, Handles RAW, uses PS/CS Plugins, does layers, Many people find Elements quite adequate for most purposes.

If you feel you are outgrowing Elements, Then might be the time to consider CS2/3.

Smile
riprap007 15 1.6k 37 England
3 Jul 2007 6:14PM
I own and use both Elements 5 and CS2; the biggest differences are (for me) that you can work in 16bit in CS, you have actions, and lots of pre-press functionality... in terms of basic and more advanced photo-retouching, well 80% of my work is achied in Elements, don't find it too cut down at all, and there are a good variety of workarounds to acheive the same or similar effects in Elements as you can in CS. The reason I have both is due to working with printers regularly, if not I'd be content with Elements, (especially since V5 where it accepts ACR 4.1 - inlike CS2)
stuwhitt 15 1.4k United Kingdom
3 Jul 2007 8:13PM

Quote:What can CS do that Elements can't?

Empty your wallet Wink
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2007 10:17PM
Straighten a horizon with less fuss.
mrcal 15 1.0k
3 Jul 2007 10:22PM

Quote:Straighten a horizon with less fuss.

I wouldn't have said there's a lot of difference in usability, just the technique. PS: Measure tool, drag across the horizon, Image, Rotate, Arbitrary.
PSE: View, Grid, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-T, drag mouse. % actions in each. PS is a better program I'm just not convinced that, for most people, that it's 500 better.
SuziBlue 17 16.2k 10 Scotland
3 Jul 2007 10:57PM
I was speaking to someone recently whose view was that using CS2/3 is very worthwhile if you shoot in RAW. You have far more control over the finished image.

If you're like me and still shoot in jpeg then Elements is perfectly adequate. In fact I still use the very basic version of Elements - i.e. the first one - and it has given me everything I've needed for what I use it for.

That said, I'm being coaxed from my jpeg lifestyle and being shown the delights of the RAW shoot - it's a slippery slope .. Wink and old habits die hard.

Plus Stuwhitt's advice is pretty apposite, too Wink
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2007 10:59PM
I find that as I use C1 I need less and less from photoshop and elements provides all I need.
riprap007 15 1.6k 37 England
4 Jul 2007 8:52AM
CS2 is worse than PSE5 for RAW! also PSE5 has a good straighten tool even easier to use than CS# just drag a line over the angle and it straightens it.
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2007 10:32AM

Quote:PSE: View, Grid, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-T, drag mouse. % actions in each

Exactly - a right pain compaired to CS2, mind you it's the only thing I can find that CS2 is better for.
I'm not into manipulation so CS2 is a bit wasted on me anyway.
30 Jul 2007 12:07PM
I also mainly use PS 5 but for enhancing the colors in the sky or people i use CS2 because i can get a better result there

Rune
Tandberg 16 1.2k 2 England
30 Jul 2007 3:36PM
It can empty your wallet Wink
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
30 Jul 2007 4:17PM
Well, CS3 has a whole bunch of things that may or may not be useful to you:

1. Adjustment layers
2. Layer masks
3. Proper curves
4. Ability to save clipping paths
5. Smart layers (i.e. bitmap layers which work like adjustment layers)
6. Selective colour
7. B+W adjustment layer for easier handling of mono conversions
8. Channel mixer (likewise)
9. Channels so you can separate out colour infomation.
10. Soft proofing

and a whole bunch of other stuff....

The main thing about the full version is that it soon becomes tiresome translating all the PS tutorials out there to work with Elements functionality. Most PS tutorials assume at least CS2.
tepot 15 4.4k United Kingdom
30 Jul 2007 5:27PM
i only upgraded to CS2 so i could follow tutorials more easily, capture1 le and elements 2 was more than capable for my image processing.
elowes 15 2.8k United Kingdom
30 Jul 2007 6:00PM
Elements is good, CS is better but the very much vast majority won't need CS because they won't pay for it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.