Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

What do people like to see?

G6DDS 11 231 Scotland
4 Oct 2010 7:38PM
Upload to the critique gallery and you will feel much better.
I don't see the point in clicking or commenting madly on other peoples work or becoming more active in the forums just to get noticed. Surely it's better to have your picture noticed from unbiased eyes.
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
4 Oct 2010 8:37PM

Quote:I don't see the point in clicking or commenting madly on other peoples work or becoming more active in the forums just to get noticed.

There is no point so far as I can see either.

There was quite a long thread on here not long ago in which the click cliques got some stick from quite a few members, mostly complaining that votes were being made worthless and getting an image in the RC gallery meant nothing.
All of which is arguably true but since then it seems to me that the cliquers to have become less active so perhaps people are starting to realise that that's not such an obvious way to go.

Jester.
tepot 16 4.4k United Kingdom
5 Oct 2010 6:05AM
Maybe EPZ should do a poll on this subject, who wants votes, who wants comments and who wants both?

Terry.
Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
5 Oct 2010 12:25PM
I always despair a bit that it seems so polarised on these forums....you need to "put yourself about" and interact, granted, but the problem I see then is that some assume that inevitably leads to click-cliquing. I think anyone worriued about low scores should in the first cas ebe advised to interact with other members, because after all it's an interactive website. it's where you take it from there that's the problem, but there is not an inevitable progression towards reciprocal back-slapping.

I love Pete's pub analogy and I'll try it here.

You're new in town, you're allowed out to the local once a week Wink

So do you..

a) sit in the corner clutching your pint, go home wondering how unfriendly people are or whether it's something to do with yourself, or...
.b) sit at the bar, have a smile and a word for anyone that passes, strike up a few chats, and gradually over the weeks get to know a small group of people who you come to befriend, or...
c) go in the first night, put yourself about like the life and soul of the party, buy drinks for everyone, laugh at everyone's jokes. You'll get a good few clingers on, especially as long as you keep buying the drinks, but when the chips are down and the drink stops flowing you might find your new friends all a bit fickle and superficial.

Personally I'd go for B. Translating on to here - look in the gallery, vist the pics and then the portfolios of some people you like the work of, comment in a friendly and constructive manner on the pics you like, and vote on them if you like them, but never be tempted to vote (click ) on something just because it's your friends and he/she clicked on yours.

That way you get a regular number of people visaiting your PF because they like the work you do (which is maybe similar to your own). Nowt wrong with that.

Quote:Maybe EPZ should do a poll on this subject, who wants votes, who wants comments and who wants both?

first maybe a poll on whether we want any more polls Wink
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
5 Oct 2010 12:32PM

Quote:Maybe EPZ should do a poll on this subject, who wants votes, who wants comments and who wants both?

Terry.

I think they've done this a couple of time Terry, and it's always been an overwhelming vote in favour of the status quo

Yes - EPZ is a 3-chord site Wink
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.2k 58 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2010 2:34PM

Quote:Is it timing of when I post things? is it having a big friends group on this site
Yes and its luck and volume and origionality. Your right to look for comments as a good indicator of real quality, and the critique gallery is the place to start - but we are all just like you busy with life and trying to be better togs. so time to comment is limited.
Cliques do grow in time, and its just a way or sorting out what to spend time looking at, i personally use favourites where i know someone or often seem to find exciting new ideas i want to try out etc.

In terms of uniqueness here's my Spider and my ladybirds. i think there are lots. I think my spiders did well as i think they were some of the 1st uploaded this season.
Another fav vote category is flowers - often seem to do well. Glamour too.

So 1st of a season, big in frame so thumbnail catches eye, lots of categories when uploading, lots of comments on others so some comment back.

But stuff votes, upload for your own personal record of cool stuff you like.

Now off to see if i can make what Ade said work for me Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.