Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

What do you class as digital imaging?

Badger 18 4.7k 20 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2002 12:18AM
If a photograph is recorded on a colour transparency or negative film and printed as a slide or onto photography paper this is known as a traditional print. If this same image is then scanned onto a PC to add it to this site, is it then classed as a digital image, even if nothing has been changed?
What are your thoughts on this?
Matt
20 Nov 2002 12:22AM
Sorry forgot to add, my frame of mind is that it is only classed as a digital image if it has been manipulated to alter the original image.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
20 Nov 2002 8:28AM
In my view once the photo has been convereted to pixels it's then digital.
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
20 Nov 2002 9:28AM
Have to agree with Pete. If it's in pixels it's digital, makes no difference what you've done to it.
You need to make a distinction between "digital image", "digitally captured image" and "digitally manipulated image".
BOB S 19 2.6k
20 Nov 2002 10:03AM
For once I have to disagree with Pete, if your view that Pixels equal a digital image then all pictures on the site are digital and this is clearly not the case, this change to Pixels is just a means to getting the image onto the site !
The way we see pictures on the site has no real bearing on how the image was originally captured. Yes I know people are interested in whether the pictures were captured on film or digitally and this is where more information is required and we have this with the detail of the camera/film section.
20 Nov 2002 10:09AM
But Bob, if I have 2 pictures on my PC, one taken on an S1 Pro and one taken on film and scanned in, what is the difference between the two ?
BOB S 19 2.6k
20 Nov 2002 11:08AM
Brian, I have gigabytes of images stored on my PC but I do not consider myself to be a digital photographer and in fact do not yet own a digital camera.
Pictures have been scanned for years to produce a file for reproducion in magazines and the like but only with the advent of digital capture do photographers class themselves as having "gone digital"
The difference between the S1 Pro pic and the film one is the original medium used to capture the image, the scanner is only a tool to get the image onto the PC, yes the file is now digital, but the original image is still analogue.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
20 Nov 2002 11:19AM
In my view, if we are talking about digital photography we are talking about capture. A photo taking on film is traditional film based and a photo taken on a digital camera is digital. But once the photograph is in pixel form it's a digital image (ie constructed of pixels in simplest form 0s and 1s), whether taken from film, created from scratch on a PC or captured on a digital camera.
BOB S 19 2.6k
20 Nov 2002 11:48AM
Pete, I think I almost agree with you, but I think Matts original query is asking a slightly different question (Matt?)in that I think he is asking whether an IMAGE changes to digital just because it is in a digital form and I do not think it does. The digital form is only a requirement to get it into an electronic medium i.e. the internet in this case, we are talking semantics here, yes technically it is digital because it is in a file format, but in reality it is not a digital image per say.
bppowell 19 2.2k 2 England
20 Nov 2002 4:07PM
The original image does not come into it. When you scan an image it goes through a process of digitization, it becomes a series of "0" or "1"; hence it becomes a digital image. This new image is a digital image in every sence of the word.

Barry
BOB S 19 2.6k
20 Nov 2002 4:21PM
Of course the original comes into it - a series of 0's and 1's are of no interest to the eye are they, in the vain of Matts question the original image is all, a film original is only digitised to get it up here for all to see. We can only see a digital file (camera or scanner generated) after the 0's and 1's have been interpreted into an image on the screen.
railton 18 304
20 Nov 2002 5:01PM
Two old ladies perusing the pictures on display in an art shop window.

Pointing to a print one lady is overheard saying "That's only a photograph" and pointing to another print says "And that's a painting"

The 'photograph' was a fine print, titled and bore the descriptive text from a photograph by...... The 'painting' was a fine print and, you guessed, bore text stating a watercolour by ......

The two old ladies moved on muttering something about the English weather, both happy in their ignorance. One had glasses on the other did not. Little did they know the impact said comments would have on the photographer. To deceive or not to deceive that is the question. John Tindall.
20 Nov 2002 5:42PM
Thanks for all your responses. Bob is right about my original question, does an IMAGE changes to digital just because it is in a digital form.
My opinion is it is still a traditional print as it has not been altered, if I scan an image onto my PC and alter it to improve the overall picture then it would be a digital image.
20 Nov 2002 5:46PM
No Matt, if you scan a traditional print into a computer, what you have is a traditional print AND a digital copy of the print. The digital copy IS a digital image. If I make a copy of an old LP onto a CD, it IS a digital music file, even though the original was on vinyl.
photoid5 18 154
20 Nov 2002 5:50PM
why does it matter,really?when you see something great published do you care if it was done on a traditional camera and if so on which format? or digital or whatever? if so I hope only in order to learn about the technique in order to improve your own work and not for "purist reasons"!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.