Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

What do you class as digital imaging?

BOB S 18 2.6k
20 Nov 2002 5:58PM
If you copy an old LP onto a CD you have a copy of the Original recording in digital form - not a digital original, it will sound the same as the LP original when interpreted back via the D/A converter in a CD player. I agree that the file is a digital file but only a digital conversion of the original analogue information.
As Matt says in his last response the original image does not change it is just in a different form that happens to be digital.
photoid5 18 154
20 Nov 2002 6:03PM
so ...what?
BOB S 18 2.6k
20 Nov 2002 6:10PM
Sorry, only trying to put my take on Matts original question.
In the end if the file is digital or the slide is Velvia the image is what we are interested in so keep em coming (Dont send prints in though !)
BOB
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
20 Nov 2002 10:18PM
BOB, in my LP / CD analogy I didn't say I had a digital ORIGINAL. It really doesn't matter what it sounds like either, the fact is it IS digital.
Of course the original image does not change. However, I think your last line answers the question very well, as you quote "it is just in a different form that happens to be digital".

If an image is in a form that is digital, it is surely a "digital image". QED.
The image on disk is a "digital image" and the print is not.

I manage a team of software engineers who develop a whole range of digital imaging software. We provide digital photo kiosks, RIP software, online albums, internet printing, image asset management and databasing, mainlab scanning and printing solutions etc.
In our mainlab system for instance, once films are processed they are then scanned by a high speed scanner. At this point they effectively become digital images. We can then move these images around DIGITALLY, put them on CDs and finally print them.

So would the print still be thought of as a traditional print ? It has been digitised and the ONLY print is from a digital file, yet it is from a film and may or may not have been manipulated (depending on the software).
BOB S 18 2.6k
20 Nov 2002 10:45PM
Brian
For the first line in my take on your LP/CD analogy read :
"If you copy an old LP onto a CD you end up with a copy of the Original recording in digital form......
You are missing the point of Matts original question - read it again and his response up the page a bit.
20 Nov 2002 11:39PM
Bob, not missing the point, just disagreeing with it. If you scan an IMAGE your original IMAGE is still be a traditional print but the digital version is a DIGITAL IMAGE.
I understand Matts point, that although they are different formats, it is the same IMAGE, but I have to say that if it is an image in digital format it is most definitely a "digital image" and I am fully prepared to make this thread longer than the "Lovely... I hate it" thread in defence of my argument Smile
BOB S 18 2.6k
21 Nov 2002 1:05AM
Yes it is a digital FILE but in Matts terms not a digital IMAGE
bppowell 19 2.2k 2 England
21 Nov 2002 2:37PM
If I take an image using a digital camera, download to my PC, manipulate in an image editing package then print that image on to photographic paper, is the printed image a digital image or a photograph.

Barry
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
21 Nov 2002 3:42PM
That's thrown a spanner in the works Barry!
21 Nov 2002 3:46PM
BOB, ok it may not be a digital IMAGE when it's sitting on the disk doing nothing, but it most certainly is when you are viewing it on a screen.
BOB S 18 2.6k
21 Nov 2002 4:06PM
Barry - The printed picture is an analogue interpretation of a digitally captured original, not one from a film original as in Matts original question, so this is irrelevant in the vain of Matts question.
Brian - we need to define a Digital Image, for me this is one that originates in a digital form as opposed to an image converted to a digital form from an analogue original, this is I think (MATT ?)the crux of what Matt is asking in his original question.
For me the digital conversion is just a means to end end to display a film original on a PC and dose not change the IMAGE to a digital IMAGE.
21 Nov 2002 4:30PM
Bob, yes I understand perfectly well what you are saying. I'm just disagreeing (as I warned you I would 6 messages ago).

If I send a JPG to ePHOTOzine, what they get is a DIGITAL IMAGE. It makes absolutely no difference to them whether it was scanned from film, from a print, or captured digitally. The IMAGE you are looking at is digital.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
21 Nov 2002 4:36PM
Ding! Ding! Round 5!
Plums are nice
photoid5 18 154
21 Nov 2002 4:51PM
I still dont see what difference it makes.the history of photography shows that technological advances are part of the progress.We have color film and automatic autofocus cameras havent we?now that digital images are possible are we about to become reactionary?Iam excluding pure computer art here which to me is something else again.In the same way that I choose a camera for its format and a film for its properties I would choose digital if I thought that it would help me to get the best results.
21 Nov 2002 5:02PM
Leanne, it's not important at all, we are just arguing over a point of view. It kills a bit of time.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.