Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

What do you think of Foliopic

WstepheN 8 24 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2015 8:09PM
I have just been looking at Foliopic, what others have done with it and uploading some of my earliest pictures. 'Create a Stylish Website' is says on the homepage, I have to say that I am no Judge of style when it comes to websites, when I had created my own website (now gone) several years ago I invited members of ephotozine to comment on what they thought of it, It was roundly slated as being old-fashioned and lacking modern style, and yet I completely fail to see how Foliopic is better!?

My Foliopic is here

My former intention was to sell the best of my 30 years worth of pictures as Fine Art Prints, with nil result. I wonder if any of the current users who have chosen the advanced or professional options have had any success at selling their pictures?
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2015 8:17PM
I use my foliopic site as a "show room" from which I sell face to face rather than on-line.

Works well for me in this form but sorry, I can't help re: direct selling from folipic
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2015 10:32PM
We don't get many sales through Images of Essex but we do get quite a lot of people contacting us through the contact form for commissions, camera club talks,etc.

I think its pretty unlikely that people will just surf in to buy a picture to be honest.
3 Feb 2015 10:58PM

Quote:We don't get many sales through Images of Essex but we do get quite a lot of people contacting us through the contact form for commissions, camera club talks,etc.

I think its pretty unlikely that people will just surf in to buy a picture to be honest.

With my original website I got nil sales so I guess that is fairly typical.

In terms of photography websites, I have been having a look at some others - and surprise surprise - they are all remarkably similar to foliopic, seems almost a case of the blind leading the blind! where's the innovation or is that too risky? or does one have to cater to what is expected and anything outside of that being just ignored?

So how on earth would one make even a partial living from taking photographs? Or do the photography websites hide the reality that hardly anyone actually makes any income at all from taking photographs?
4 Feb 2015 7:21AM

Quote:So how on earth would one make even a partial living from taking photographs

I make sufficient money to cover my costs of producing my mounted and framed prints, pay HMRC and have up to 1k left to buy new gear each year by selling face to face with the public through craft fairs and gallery exhibitions, plus a bit of 1:1 tuition, the odd commission (pet photography, a bit of product photography and the like)

Its hard work for not much return and I can only really do it as a hobby now that I'm retired. It certainly wouldn't pay for my time and travel on top of everything else

As I said, my website is my "shop window" where I can put up a gallery of images for a potential customer to look through, keep in contact with past customers so that they can see what is new and so on. It has also resulted in people contacting me out of the blue asking for a specific type of image or to commission some work - but no sales

(It is possible to make a living via the web, I have an artist friend who works from home and she does the bulk of her sales via her website, with a world-wide clientele and another friend Kris Dutson does very well through his Southern Scenic Photography but he had to work extremely hard though a variety of avenues (including the exhibition and craft fair circuit) to get established and well known )

I'm sure there are many on EPZ who are making a living in this way, hopefully some of them will be able to help you out with some guidance Smile
arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2015 7:28AM
Having a website is only somewhere to showcase what you do.
The general design has evolved into what we use today, with small differences and nuances to enable indivuduals to creat their own look.
Once you have this much, you have your foot on the bottom rung of the ladder.

Optimizing the website so it will be seen by search engines will get some exposure.
Regular online marketing using social networking, interesting content and regular page updates and news will get you more exposure.

Without the marketing, noone will know the website exists.
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2015 9:04AM

Quote:Regular online marketing using social networking, interesting content and regular page updates and news will get you more exposure.

Without the marketing, noone will know the website exists.

Probably the most important tip to remember. No one will go to your website if they don't know it exists. Ensure you constantly promote your site. You can make money using foliopic, but you have to get the traffic and the right visitors there. I've seen some foliopic site where people upload shots from photo shoots, wedding shoots, and allow the customer to order prints through foliopic.
4 Feb 2015 9:54AM

Quote:weeding shoots

That's a genre I must try David, just about my pace these days Grin
4 Feb 2015 10:14PM
Many thanks for the comments, I shall have to have a careful think about how I shall used Foliopic, I won't be attempting to sell my pictures through a web site again - and regarding my old website, I spent a huge amount of time on SEO, it is not that difficult to get loads of people looking at a website but mostly people just look, I used to have pages of useful photographic information as well which got people to the website but that was all.

I have a different type of website/blog here now, I have no expectations of it, it is just there!
4 Feb 2015 11:02PM
I reckon some quality macro work on the watch parts would be a good idea Stephen - then cross link between website and blog, with added copy.
The complete making of a watch, in stages, would make very interesting images and story line, and entered as regular updates to both website and blog, would attract some interest I'm sure.
All the best with it!
5 Feb 2015 6:28PM

Quote:I reckon some quality macro work on the watch parts would be a good idea Stephen - then cross link between website and blog, with added copy.
The complete making of a watch, in stages, would make very interesting images and story line, and entered as regular updates to both website and blog, would attract some interest I'm sure.
All the best with it!

In this respect you are right and is what I have in mind, things are moving very slowly at the moment as I have been rebuilding the wheel cutting engine and there is the escapement making to sort out! It will make an interesting story eventually - to the extent that I am writing a book in parallel - If you are interested in watches that is?
6 Feb 2015 7:00AM
Watches are not specifically a big interest of mine, however, consistently well produced macro engineering images are appealing and also a great niche to use for a website.
Fogey Plus
8 98 13 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2015 3:06PM
Well I have to confess, I will be leaving foliopic in 14 days time.

As a means to show your photos, Foliopic is OK. What gets me is the pricing for some very basic features. Want to upload a slideshow? An upgrade is the only way to go - so to do what I want to do I will be paying 139 per year.

I've now moved to Serif's Webplus X8. with a one off payment for the software with some great technical support. I now have a website to my design where I can do everything that Foliopic offers and a lot more

I have the freedom to create blogs, articles, slideshows, videos, galleries, a shop to sell my photographs, (if I so wish), - in fact I can do anything I like - all for the cost of a host at some 40 per year.

To re-iterate, Foliopic as alright - just too expensive.
12 Feb 2015 10:09PM

Quote:Well I have to confess, I will be leaving foliopic in 14 days time.

I've now moved to Serif's Webplus X8. with a one off payment for the software with some great technical support. I now have a website to my design where I can do everything that Foliopic offers and a lot more

I have the freedom to create blogs, articles, slideshows, videos, galleries, a shop to sell my photographs, (if I so wish), - in fact I can do anything I like - all for the cost of a host at some 40 per year.

To re-iterate, Foliopic as alright - just too expensive.

Serif Webplus X6 was what I had used for my former website which I had going for a number of years, also with an earlier Webplus, all of the time and effort that I put into it and all of the SEO all of which gave a nil result - my objective had been to sell the best of my 30 plus years of photography as fine art prints but nobody was interested - quite frankly it was a complete waste of time and my efforts would have been better spent doing something else!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.