Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

What do you want??

ljesmith 17 1.1k United Kingdom
17 May 2005 3:31AM
Fair point, just throwing ideas around.
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
17 May 2005 3:36AM
To be honest Luke, whilst I am pleased to have an EC and would love another, there are a number of photographers on here whom I respect and when I get a favourable comment from one of them it feels just as good as an EC although not as visible.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 May 2005 3:38AM
Heck.....I've just looked at the PJ category in the EC pages and the third one along is one of mine that I posted almost ONE year ago.

So it it a poor supported category or just a poor category?

(devils advocat head on...slightly)
Boyd 17 11.2k 11 Wales
17 May 2005 3:38AM
Thanks Ian

;o)
17 May 2005 3:40AM
No problem Boyd.

Wink
croberts 17 2.2k 8 Ireland
17 May 2005 3:43AM
looking at the EC's , quite a few in the portraits/people category could well have been classed as photo journalism.

Maybe its just how members label their pics?
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
17 May 2005 3:45AM
My god - I remember that being posted Keith, think it was about the time I joined EPZ!

I've tried a few like it in Birstall (great for dumped mattresses etc) but never got owt quite like it!

Good thread though, off to Leeds this afternoon so will give the old PJ and street candids a go! No promises of anything good mind!

Probably end up with Crown point Bridge again!
17 May 2005 3:45AM
The trouble with EC's is that they are a representation of one persons opinion at that moment in time, if you happen to catch Pete in the right mood you are doing well, but it might not be the best benchmark to judge your photography by.
17 May 2005 3:47AM
Agreed.
conrad 16 10.9k 116
17 May 2005 3:55AM

Quote:it might not be the best benchmark to judge your photography by

Whether it be positively or negatively. And that, for many people, would at least be some consolation...

Conrad
ZenTog 19 7.9k 1 England
17 May 2005 4:14AM
sometimes brill pictures get no clicks or coments,

sometimes awefull cheesy pictures get lots of the above

sometimes you never get the recognition you deserve till
you are gone

sometimes it makes you think about giving up an taking up painting or chav bashing as a hobby

sometimes it feels all worthwhile

sometime you even win

but whatever Luke keep up the uploads to the gallery they are allwaysworth viewing and the most appreicated on here since Paul Stasicks work on here
ginz04 17 281 20 United Kingdom
20 May 2005 2:43PM
trouble with shooting everyday lives often the only people in terested in viewing them are the subjects themselves. Having taken a quick look at your portfolio they arent bad but in thumnail size they have no impact. One of your best pics is the road but even that as thumbnail lacks impact. ian
21 May 2005 2:19AM
I have absolutely no interest in producing good thumbnails, only good photogrpahs. And I really don't think that my picture of the road is one of my best images.
nickp 16 491 Scotland
21 May 2005 3:02AM
But, for better or worse, the thumbnail is the hook to get people to look at your pictures. I'm with you all the way on creating good photographs rather than just good thumbnails.

Is an image that stands out as a thumbnail always going to look good a bit bigger? I suspect yes.

Is an image with a poor thumbnail going to be poor when enlarged? Not necessarily, but it won't get viewed as often. The latest one in my gallery doesn't do much on screen at all, thumbnail or bigger, but I've spent the morning printing it at 10x8 (best) and 16x12 (better) and it looks far better a bit bigger. (Not brilliant mind but thats another story!)
21 May 2005 3:06AM
Yes, but when taking a shot the last thing I consider is whether it is going to look good as a thumbnail on this site. If that was my aim i would shoot in colour and have blocks of primary colours in the shot. My photography is for me, apart from the stuff i shoot at work, unfortunately at the moment I can't show this, but that won't be for long.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.