Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

What DSLR's to avoid for a first timer.

Adam_H 13 62 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2008 7:08PM
Iím thinking about getting my first DSLR camera shortly, Iíve had lots of fun with the 3 little cameras that I have got. Just thought the time was right to move up a level (or is it the wife is really giving in at last LOL).
I just wanted to know if there was anything that I should beware of on the market. I have very limited knowledge with these types of cameras so I kinda hoped that if anyone has had any probs etc out there, then maybe they would let me know so as it gives me a little idea as to what to avoid.

Any Help on this matter will be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance, Adam..
paulm1963 13 20 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2008 7:27PM
Adam

Although I, like yourself am a relative novice, managed to convince the wife I needed to move up earlier this year, I bought my first DSLR in Feb this year.

I also, like yourself, sought advice from all and sundry, whose opinion I valued in all things photographic.

At the end of the day, for me it came down to three main things.

The first was cost - How much was I prepared to spend! (V important in most cases) and what lenses/accessories are easily available.

Second - What was comfortable to hold/operate (Sounds daft but i think there is a difference over several manufacturers).

Third - On playing with it in the shop what display/camera info was easiest for me to understand.

On looking at your gallery it would appear that you already have a good understanding of how (with some great results)!

The best bit is walking into Jessops, getting the assistant all excited, 'cos they think you're gonna spend a small fortune then walk out empty handed half an hour later! (wicked but fun).

I'm sure that you may get hits from other members, giving you some detailed technical info, but in the short term I hope you find my contribution useful.

Regards

Paul

(by the way i got a Canon 400D, wanted the 40D, but couldn't justify the expense at the time)
da_nige 17 1.2k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2008 7:49PM
If you are totally new to DSLRs I'd stay clear of the Canon 1D3 and 1Ds3, same goes for the Nikon D3.

If I was starting again I'd look at the Canon 40D (or 50D if you can wait til October - I would) or the Nikon D90 (again newly announced)

Alternatively the Canon 450D or Nikon D60 if you dont want to spend as much.

The 40D/50D/D90 will give you a more robust camera with a bigger feature set theat you can develop into.

There are Pentax/Olympus/Sony etc options but I dont know as much about them and at the moment Canon and Nikon are leading the market.

Neil
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
3 Sep 2008 7:50PM
Size differs greatly amongst the various models and makes.

Make sure you are comfortable with the one you choose.
jas
tomcat 16 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2008 7:53PM

Quote:I'd stay clear of the Canon 1D3

Bloody hell!!!

Just bought one!!
3 Sep 2008 7:54PM

Quote:Size differs greatly amongst the various models and makes.

Make sure you comfortable with the one you choose.
jas

Are we definitely talking about cameras here?
da_nige 17 1.2k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2008 7:56PM
Yeah but it aint your first DSLR Adrian (nice kit list btw)

I wanna Mark 3 but my Mark 2n is doing the job nicely at the moment. Might add a 50D to complement it early next year.
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
3 Sep 2008 7:57PM

Quote:Are we definitely talking about cameras here?

The choice is yours! Grin
3 Sep 2008 8:08PM

Quote:The choice is yours! Smile

defintely bloody hell
photography27 17 130
3 Sep 2008 8:09PM
i found cost and knowing the manufacturer was important to me, also having big hands was another factor, a small camera would be to cumbersome, so after alot of thought i went for the sony a200, cost was excellent, manufacturer i knew and respected from ps2 ps3 psp and so on.
to be honest and in my view all entrylevel dslrs all have the same layout and produce near equal images.
the way it fitted in my hands had a big part to play with me, so my advice would be to have a play with them all and see what feels comfy in your hand.
hope this helps
mik
3 Sep 2008 8:30PM

Quote:my advice would be to have a play with them all and see what feels comfy in your hand.

I refer to previous quotes
steve_p 16 1.2k England
3 Sep 2008 8:52PM

Quote:The best bit is walking into Jessops, getting the assistant all excited, 'cos they think you're gonna spend a small fortune then walk out empty handed half an hour later! (wicked but fun).

Fortunately people like you are in the minority, at my branch 95% of the people who come in dont waste your time by amusing themselves. We are not on commission -although sales obviously contribute to our targets. We would rather spend our time with people who genuinely are interested in what advice or assistance we can offer !!
Artois 15 405 1 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2008 8:57PM
It is so important that a camera feels right in your hands. I spent ages deliberating which camera should I buy. The deciding factor for me was how easily I could hold the camera and simultaneously manipulate the controls, go play with a few and see what handles best for you.

Stella
steve_p 16 1.2k England
3 Sep 2008 9:05PM
Adam,
Seriously if you are starting out on the DSLR route, there is not such a thing as a poor one.
Obviously the " Big Two Canon and Nikon" offer a wider range of lenses and accessories, but other makers such as Sony, Pentax and Olympus offer good value equipment.
Go into your local shop and see which feels most comfortable for you.
I happen to have gone with Canon but that was what seemed right for me.
As my previous post there are a huge amount of "clever clogs" in photography.
Years ago I was almost insulted in my local camera club because I had a Pentax Me super, rather than Canon or Nikon but I still won awards! Didnt go down too well!!
Steve
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2008 9:33PM
Agree with all the above. However, also consider remember that you are likely to be buying into a system and not just a camera. The point of SLR's is their flexibility and the ability to switch lenses etc, so make sure you have a quick think about what your buying into.

Rgds,

Adam

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.