50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

What Filters??

neil75 11 25 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2011 11:50AM
Hi All. Was just looking for a bit of advice, Im looking to purchase a set of ND Grad Filters and was wandering if anyone had any advice on Brand. Lee are probably ruled out on cost so I was looking at Cokin either P series or Z Pro. Anyone used these? Are they any good ? Ive heard things about colour cast is this true?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Neil
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2011 11:53AM
Hi Neil

Cokin ND grads can produce a slight magenta cast, but if you are shooting in raw that can be corrected during the raw processing.

I don't use filters much any more, but I always used Cokin as I couldn't justify the cost of Lee.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
23 Mar 2011 11:56AM

Quote: if you are shooting in raw that can be corrected during the raw processing.

Not easy, Ian, as you have partly affected and partly not.
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2011 12:02PM
Good point Cole, never thought of that. Mind you I can't say I ever noticed any problems.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2011 12:03PM
Which camera/lenses do you use?
This may have a baring upon which filters you need.
neil75 11 25 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2011 12:15PM
I use a canon 450d with the kit lens but will also be buying a sigma 10-20 quite soon hopefully.
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 130 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2011 12:22PM
Used the same rationale for buying cokin for years - went from P to x-pro. In the end it was the quality of the holder that made take the plunge and buy Lee. I wish I had saved more the first time around as they really are the best I have used.

If budget is really an issue consider mixing and matching. i.e. a lee holder and z-pro filters. Also don't rule out hitech (search under format filters). Some users recommend them - whilst I know they do 100mm fit resin filters, having never used any of their grads I can't comment on the quality. I have heard it said that the hitech holder is better than the cokin...

Adam
23 Mar 2011 12:24PM

Quote:Used the same rationale for buying cokin for years - went from P to x-pro. In the end it was the quality of the holder that made take the plunge and buy Lee. I wish I had saved more the first time around as they really are the best I have used.

Same here, wasted money.
John_Frid 15 514 57 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2011 12:38PM
I use Cokin Z Pro filters and have been generally happy. However, more and more I am using exposure blending in post production rather than use filters and that seems to work best of all, although it can add to the time spent in post production.
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
23 Mar 2011 1:52PM
Cokin P have a magenta cast

but Z-Pro seem to be pretty neutral - which is nice
randomrubble 16 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2011 2:58PM
I have hard and soft grads. One set is Lee, the other Cokin (Z-Pro) can't remember which is which. Mix & match using a Lee holder and Lee W/A adapter. I haven't seen a noticable issue with colour casts from either. I seem to recall it's regarded as more of an issue if you stack the Cokins which I rarely do, though it can be useful ocassionally.
mcgannc 12 389 3 England
23 Mar 2011 3:59PM
I'm certainly not impressed with the Cokin P's...on top of the strong magenta cast, I also end up getting a reflection of the lens in the shot (when stacked). Seems the z-pro's are more reliable so may give them a go!
23 Mar 2011 4:24PM

Quote:I also end up getting a reflection of the lens/filter in the shot

yeap, I got that as well with ZPro and XPro.
23 Mar 2011 6:41PM
I bought the Cokin Z-Pro holder with Kood Grads. The Koods are much cheaper than Lee etc and I do recognise the quality will be less but they seem good enough quality for my purposes and I haven't noted a colour cast. I got mine from Premier Ink.
mcgannc 12 389 3 England
23 Mar 2011 10:06PM

Quote:I also end up getting a reflection of the lens/filter in the shot
yeap, I got that as well with ZPro and XPro.

Is that just when stacking Cole? Or is it just in certain conditions?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.