Christmas Prize Draw 2017

What interests you most in photography?

Kris_Dutson 16 8.2k 1 England
24 Dec 2009 12:55PM

Quote:Technique - talking about how you go about getting your shots
Business - talking about making money from photos, what works, what doesn't

Got to if I want to carry on making a living from it.

And then for me, just the pure satisfaction of getting an image I want.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

riprap007 14 1.6k 37 England
24 Dec 2009 1:31PM
for me its the ideas behind and inncorporated within the image, be it about colour line or social commentary. I have had a passing interest in all the aspects that were listed, as they can all contribute to getting across the concepts.
ade_mcfade 14 15.2k 216 England
24 Dec 2009 1:54PM

Quote:the pure satisfaction of getting an image I want

At the end of the day, that's what its all about isn't it?

But its just that bit sweeter when you've done it with a new technique Wink
Kris_Dutson 16 8.2k 1 England
24 Dec 2009 2:01PM

Quote:At the end of the day, that's what its all about isn't it?

Definitely.

Quote:But its just that bit sweeter when you've done it with a new technique

Again, definitely - and I will use whatever technique is available to get the image I want, the way I want it.

And to hell with what the purists think. Wink
trivets12 14 1.3k
24 Dec 2009 7:26PM
Watching the light, whether it is natural or artificial, and seeing the effect it has on the subject, how it enhances it (or not), trying to record that in an image. Sometimes I gets it, and sometimes I doesn't!
Favourite lighting is dark grey thunder clouds with a sudden break through of bright sunshine - love that combo on a landscape!
martyn05 11 363 England
24 Dec 2009 11:36PM
For me, it is a way to relax, leave my job behind etc.

I like all aspects of it, from deciding to take an image, which lens, what camera settings, processing then printing, finally I frame it myself. When I look at it, I know that I did it all from start to finish.
11 Jan 2010 3:07PM
As someone who has walking difficulties, any photographs that I take have to be from around my home and garden. I am fairly new to this interest so am still reading the how and why's. The pleasure for me is finding so much around me that was not noticed before, taking the shots and seeing some of the end results on my wall. I feel a great sense of achievement when someone shows surprise that the picture that they admire, is there by my effort.
tepot 14 4.4k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2010 3:54PM
There are many opportunities around gthe house and garden, especially if you like macro for bugs and stuff.

Terry.
ade_mcfade 14 15.2k 216 England
11 Jan 2010 4:04PM

Quote:As someone who has walking difficulties, any photographs that I take have to be from around my home and garden. I am fairly new to this interest so am still reading the how and why's. The pleasure for me is finding so much around me that was not noticed before, taking the shots and seeing some of the end results on my wall. I feel a great sense of achievement when someone shows surprise that the picture that they admire, is there by my effort.

Good answer - like it.

You get a heightened awareness to your surroundings when you start to change from "normal person" to photographer.

That's a nice side effect, I'm constantly composing shots in my head as I walk around places, when you do that you see things you'd normally miss - especially in cities.

Seems photography is a very social thing for many of us - which is good, so I guess the question to those who've put that down as their most enjoyable part of togging would be

"why photography, and not, bird watching, hiking, fell walking etc."
JJGEE 13 7.4k 18 England
11 Jan 2010 4:28PM

Quote:bird watching

It appears that there are numerous epz members into that activity as well Wink
Robin_TB 9 204 9 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2010 4:43PM
For me, as I continue to learn, the most enjoyable bit is starting to 'see' a possibility for a photo rather than just stuff. A quick snap is now not good enough and I make considerably more effort.

The extra pleasure comes when that effort pays off and I get the satisfaction of thinking that I have improved.

Also combining pleasures such as hiking/birdwatching (of all kinds Wink)and photography, now eased by purchase of a camera rucksack!
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2010 4:48PM
Iíll equate it to golf, getting out and about, looking at the land from a different angles and of course getting those perfect shots. Though better that Golf you can play almost anywhere at any time; And you can improve you shot on the computer afterwards Wink
Nick_w Plus
11 4.3k 99 England
11 Jan 2010 10:18PM

Quote:Kit talk leaves me cold, I often don't respond or just change the subject as soon as it rises.

like all those last year on the lensbaby Wink

to get back to the post. What intrests me varies, but mainly just getting out with the camera trying new things, maybe too many new things. But that's probably my scientific bent.

Dont dismiss kit Ade,forget the bells and whistles the greatest leap forme has been the muchbetter high iso performance of the more recent models , love the film like grain at 1600 in mono.

My latest project is HDR panos tho processing takes an age to do the number crunching.

What is great is we all see it differently - it would be boring otherwise.
Picture_Newport 10 659 19 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2010 10:35PM
My interest lie in creating images that my Wedding clients are pleased with. It's nice to know that I have done a good job for them.

I'm with Alison on the Model Shoots side of things. You can't beat the buzz you get when all the ideas yourself and the model have brought to a shoot come together and you get images that you both love, it's even better when others like them.

I also love the feeling I get when I am out and about, just me and my camera equipment, be that on top of a mountain, at the coast or in a grotty subway. It gives me time to think, clear my head, I tend to worry less about the results when I am out for myself.

To answer the question, I suppose my interest changes depending on what I am shooting for and who I am shooting for.
LensYews 9 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2010 10:48PM
For me the interest is everything up to the point the shutter trips, I'm analytically minded so enjoy the research and preparation most, as well as the anticipation waiting for the shot and the process of capturing the moment. I'm concentrating on technique at the moment, trying to master my depth of field to increase the number of sharp shots I get. Also trying to improve my reviewing and selection skills, with the aim of improving overall.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.