Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

What is the cable that connects the phone line to the computer,called ?

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2016 7:29AM
Hi....What is the cable that connects the phone line to the computer, called ?
....and is there a best one ?
My phone line comes in at the front of my house and my office is at the back, so I'm looking for 10 metres and at the moment some of my carpets are being replaced so I thought this may be a good opportunity to replace the cable.
....Advice appreciated...many thanks....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AlexandraSD 8 762 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2016 7:37AM
Ok, been awake like 5 minutes so forgive my stupidity but, is it an ethernet cable your looking for? My IQ is naturally low first thing in the morning lol
11 Jan 2016 7:55AM
There is no such thing ,computer cannot "talk" directly to phone line. So you need a qualified contractor to put new phone socket(s) where you need it. They will use phone line cable which they bring themselves. Doi ng it on your own is asking for trouble later if the phone/internet won't work properly for some reason.
Migster 6 107 England
11 Jan 2016 8:04AM
If you have broad band already and your PC is wifi enabled why don't you use a wifi router. If you don't have broadband already how are you going to connect to your PC? If you end up running cables under carpets be careful as they wear out really quickly if people walk on them.. Wifi is really the WAy to go.
John
11 Jan 2016 8:32AM

Quote:If you have broad band already and your PC is wifi enabled why don't you use a wifi router.

I already have broadband, not WiFi, when I first scrapped dial up and went with broadband some 10 plus years ago, I laid a cable, mostly under the floorboards but partly down the side of the carpet in the hall. In all these years I've never, other than being a bit slow at times, had any bother.
I cannot see why I need a contractor to charge me hundreds of s as has been suggested.

As I'm having a lot of new carpet I thought it a good idea to lay a new cable, hence my unanswered question, I like the idea of WiFi but I just don't understand how to do it.
I know it's easy...everything is easy when you can do it Smile
...and if it's not broke....why fix it ?
.....cheers.....Mike
wynn469 10 157 Wales
11 Jan 2016 8:55AM
Cable is Cat 5 or Cat 6 the 6 is faster or a good alternative is home pug which uses the electrical system of the house can be bought from Argos, pc world Maplin etc and can be used as a wifi .
Gaucho 17 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2016 8:57AM
It was answered. Ethernet cable. Or you could try these which work well without the hassle of long cables.
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2016 9:46AM
If it's the cable that plugs directly into your phone socket, it's not a CAT 5 cable, or CAT 6. That kind of cable and plug connects your computer to your router but not your router to your phone socket, so beware.
ikett 9 545 England
11 Jan 2016 10:05AM
I'm pretty sure you want a standard RJ11 phone lead.
PRC 5 218 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2016 10:26AM

Quote:Hi....What is the cable that connects the phone line to the computer, called ?

You need to clarify; do you mean the cable from the master phone socket to the router (or hub) or from the router to the computer?
11 Jan 2016 10:40AM

Quote:It was answered. Ethernet cable

Sorry, weren't sure if this was an answer or another question.
11 Jan 2016 10:43AM
[quoteYou need to clarify; do you mean the cable from the master phone socket to the router (or hub) or from the router to the computer?]

Sorry...I mean the cable from the master phone socket to the router.

cheers....Mike
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2016 10:55AM
keithh 16 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
11 Jan 2016 10:57AM
So you need both. An RJ11 for the phone line and an ether net for the broadband. Both via a micro filter.

So long since I had to use micro filters and so I may be talking stupid
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2016 11:26AM

Quote:Wifi is really the WAy to go.
That is not really sound advice. I have nominal 152mbps broadband. Over my ethernet wired connection I get slightly more than that. You will not, in the real, rather than theoretical world, get that speed via WiFi.

WifI is great for tablets and phones but for sheer reliability and consistent speed a wired connection is better.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.