Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

What is the future for Photography?

DaveRyder Plus
7 5.3k 9 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2021 10:28AM
In a training day a few years ago we were asked to present a 3min talk on our hobbies.

I made the point that photography (my hobby) and golf (a good walk spoilt) have something in common.
On that good day we get the perfect shot, just like a professional.

A hole in one on a difficult links course.
Or an image that moves the imagination or emotions.

I believe people will always take images it's what they take them on and that's always been the same, from Kodak Brownies to Hasselblad's.

The software and what is done with them will change and re-change with the wind with people gravitating to their preferences.
Photography sites where the content of the image is considered, like ePz
or
The Social Media and sharing site where over blown images are raved over.

From drawings on cave walls, to the first books and cameras... people will always record images.
27 Apr 2021 10:39AM
mrswoolybill is absolutely spot on - good points well made Smile
clicknimagine Plus
11 808 104 India
27 Apr 2021 12:58PM

Quote:Years ago I remember a member here talking about looking for images that 'Blow you away'. I said that I look for images that draw me in. I suspect that that is one of the big divides on the site.

That must be an Image BombGrinGrinGrin...

The reqirement of a good eye behind the viewfinder will remain same despite several improvements or introduction of various technologies, these are only improvement to the photography as a whole...The future of photography will remain same...
27 Apr 2021 1:06PM
I agree, but my only worry is that our audiences will be less perceptive and appreciative of our efforts. Along with the power that technology delivers, I also detect a diminishing attention-span amongst many. So us "enthusiasts" will continue to study an image and read between the pixels, the vast majority will just see "yet another whizzy image" and scroll right.
LenShepherd 13 4.3k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2021 1:16PM

Quote:I agree, but my only worry is that our audiences will be less perceptive and appreciative of our efforts .

Some in the "audience" can be educated.
When I produced some photos on good gloss paper for the then Leader of Leeds City Council he had no idea that this level of quality was possible - even with film.
NeilSchofield Plus
14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2021 10:15PM
I have found that the beauty of photography is that you never stop learning and there’s always something new under the sun, and regardless of what technology brings, those two things for me won’t change
randomrubble 16 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2021 4:27PM
25 years ago the future of photography, mostly, was Landfill. At least that's no longer the case.
2 May 2021 1:39PM
No-one has mentioned simply keeping a visual record of family and friends. For most of the people that I know, photography as practised by me and the other members of this site is not what interests them. They want snaps of the new baby or the marriage of a cousin. New and better automatic tools (almost exclusively in camera, very few do any post processing) provide just what the family wants. This is what most members of the public call photography and has nothing much in common with what we do. It would be helpful to have different names for the two activities.

The one downside of the super new snapshot tools is that almost no-one prints, so the images are frequently lost when the current smartphone is replaced. Who will have an album (paper or electronic) of today in 75yrs time ? Hardly anyone I fear.
2 May 2021 5:06PM
I'm with you 100% on the point of nomenclature - as I've said in other threads on here, the word "photography" is almost as broad as the word "jazz" - so broad as to be almost meaningless. you wouldn't ask someone "Do you like jazz - yes or no?" What is a good "photographer"?! We're all swimming around in the same pool - how do judges cope!
clicknimagine Plus
11 808 104 India
2 May 2021 5:19PM
What is a good "photographer"?

A good photographer is a person who can produce good photograph or images...

Good photograph often means a photograph that can engage the viewer...
petebfrance 9 3.0k France
3 May 2021 8:10PM
The future? It continues, and as things change so do the images that are produced. It's a great time for photography and long may that last with the smartphone democratising it even more than Mr. Kodak probably ever imagined. I still take lots of photos, occasionally share them to resounding silence from the audience, but if they please me then I'm happy enough. We can't all be Ansel Adams or whoever.
As a kid it used to interest me that people were enthousiasts - brown camera cases, brown light-meter cases, brown men in a black and white era? I even collected old cameras for a while, not the expensive stuff but the ones that 'ordinary folk' could afford. But what they produced was what was important to them, their way of seeing, a unique insight into how other people 'see the world.' Priceless stuff.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.