Use the code EXCIRE-EP to save 15% on Excire Foto Software

What lenses do you expect to auto focus on your camera?

MikeRC 16 3.6k United Kingdom
19 May 2010 7:07AM
My advice ...for what it's worth....ring your local trading standards....now.
Blenkinsopp 16 320 4 England
19 May 2010 10:39AM
I said I would keep you posted concerning my contact with WHE.
According to the WHE person the lens has been tested twice and is up to standard with no fault ----- they don't doubt my word that it doesn't work with my cameras so say I must have a faulty camera. (or more precisely 3 faulty cameras - 400D, 40D and 50D as I tried it on all 3)

He also argued that street scenes with the lens stopped right down which were the test images returned with it the first time are a suitable test for a lens advertised for wildlife. I expected shots of a small static object so you could see the area in focus. How do I know where it was focussed on in a street scene?

I asked for another lens to test on my cameras but the most they will offer is another day or two of testing before returning the original to me - they have already had it since March 31st this time.

I am gutted as its 700 down the drain. I can't afford to send my cameras or the lens away for independant testing and WHE will have nothing further to do with it as my cameras (bought from them) are out of warranty.

Seems like you have to be psychic when you buy a camera! - or buy all the lenses available for it within its warranty time?

How would trading standards help if the lens has been tested and found not to be faulty?

I'm broken hearted as there is no chance of me ever getting a lens longer than my 70-300 now.
photofrenzy 15 424 2 United Kingdom
19 May 2010 10:45AM
The ones that are AUTO-FOCUS silly Wink
19 May 2010 6:01PM

Quote:The ones that are AUTO-FOCUS silly

NOT ACCORDING TO THE SALES PERSON (I have his name) AT WAREHOUSE EXPRESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cats_123 Plus
17 5.1k 30 Northern Ireland
19 May 2010 6:57PM

Quote:or more precisely 3 faulty cameras - 400D, 40D and 50D as I tried it on all 3)

AF micro adjustment - have been doing a little Googling and wondered whether this information is of any use? It covers the Canon 50D
AF micro adjustment
lawbert 15 1.8k 15 England
19 May 2010 7:29PM

Quote:

AF micro adjustment - have been doing a little Googling and wondered whether this information is of any use? It covers the Canon 50D
AF micro adjustment

I use this method quite frequently as my sigma 120-300 f2.8 has some critical focus problems....I get +10 with the lens alone and -10 with a 1.4 attached.
I do then of course test it properly in the field to check its making a difference.....Which it really does.
In reality I need to send it off for a service and get it fixed full time but for now this works well for me.
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
19 May 2010 7:53PM

Quote:According to the WHE person the lens has been tested twice and is up to standard with no fault

This probably has nothing whatsoever to do with your problem
If you returned the first lens and the second lens within 10 days under Distance Selling Regulations you are entitled to your money back - even if the lens is not faulty
Ring WE, insist on being put through to a senior person and tell them they are required to refund your money under The Distance Selling Regulations.
I do not think you will need to go to trading standards.
Digressing I suspect the lens cannot AF on some Canon bodies at f6.3 - perhaps Canon owners can confirm. If so WE should make it clear on the web site the lens does not AF with some Canon bodies - and specify them. Advertising an AF lens without mentioning it does not AF with some bodies (assuming it does not) is a potential criminal offence under The Consumer Protection Act.
19 May 2010 9:26PM
I was gullible - I have had the lens since Feb 2009. I was unhappy with it the moment I tried it and phoned warehouse express - a seemingly kindly person asked me the longest lens I had used regularly up until then and I said 70-300mm. He then told me that a 500mm lens would take a lot of getting used to and to practice shooting static objects until I got the "feel" of the auto focus. I practised for a month but couldn't get acceptable shots and the auto focus rarely locked on and even when it appeared to the focus point wasn't sharp. Other photographers tried it and had the same problems so I phoned again and WHE said to send the lens back and they would have it tested.

I sent it back and they found no faults and returned it to me. We had the same problems - continuously hunting autofocus and unsharp subjects. I was shooting plant food packaging standing on the garden wall from a distance of approx 10 yards. I continued to phone regularly and was just fobbed off. "Try it over different shooting distances" "Try it using different focus points" "You must be moving it"
I even resorted to tightening the lens down on the tripod and getting someone to move the object I was shooting to make sure the "red light" was exactly over a "contrasty" bit of the subject.

It wasn't until I had had the lens for a year that I realised I had been conned - I phoned and told WHE as much. They were very apologetic and said I should return the lens to them and they would have it tested - the rest you know about.
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
19 May 2010 9:30PM
As said before the lens should AF on a canon camera body because it miss reports to the AF controls - however the fact that the AF is engaging and hunting means that AF is working - on a fully reporting setup the AF simply won't engage at all on a canon camera where the max aperture is smaller than f5.6.
The thing is that the lens is hunting for far too long and whilst the light loss at that extension will affect the AF it should be able to give reasonably results with a highcontrast subject and in decent lighting.

AF micro adjust won't help solve focus hunting either since that simply helps to move the point of focus a little further/closer to solve back/front focusing issues with cameras and lenses not the abiltiy of the lens and camera to acquire focus.

So we are left with either 3 duff camera bodies - 1 duff lens or some error on the part of the photographer when testing and considering Sandra's work in her profile I suspect that basic photographer error should not be present. The only thing I can suggest is that you either move to get a refund on the lens and then look at one of the sigma options (eg a 150-500mm or the original 50-500mm - both f6.3 at the long end and like the tamron both AF on canon camera bodies by missreporting this fact) or you send the one of your camera bodies for them to test the lens with themselves.

Ps thanks to the EU warrenties are now 2 years standard - and something else slipped in regarding that products should remain functional for a reasonable period of time for their funtion, when used correctly. So you should still be well covered under both provisions in that regard.
19 May 2010 10:29PM
Hi Alex,

They flatly refuse to offer any refund/credit note for the lens as they say it is NOT faulty and I just can't afford to have independent testing of camera and lens. The image quality even when manually focussed was fairly crap anyway - dull, flat and boring and lacking detail - I am just angry that I was fobbed off for so long - they convinced me that the poor quality of images and autofocus not working properly was because I couldn't use a long lens. If only I had had the confidence to put it straight back in the box and return it that first day

Thanks to everyone for trying to help but I don't think anything can be done now.
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
19 May 2010 10:42PM
Is there any chance that you can convince them to do calibration under warrenty with one of you camera bodies?
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
19 May 2010 10:52PM
Do you have an Ombudsman over there? That always makes them sit up and take notice over here, or failing that, The BBB, Better Business Bureau.
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
20 May 2010 7:30AM

Quote:I was gullible -
So were we Sad
You buy a lens in February 2009 and start a forum topic 15 months later as to whether it works or not.
Distance Selling Regulations do not apply after about 14 days so after 15 months you have no hope there.
If a lens develops a fault (dispputed by the makers and Warehouse Express) within 6 months under EEC law the fault is deemed to have been present when new as regards fitness for purpose. After 15 months you have no hope there.
You have a "reasonable" period (not specified in legislation) to reject faulty goods - I would regard 15 months as unreasonable - and I can understand Warehouse Express taking the same point of view after 15 months.
Your options include selling it second hand at a loss, buying a Canon AF body that supports AF at f8, or accepting it as it is.
It might be worthwhile starting a new thread asking for advice on getting it to AF on your body. The implication from experienced Canon users is it can - in bright light with a good contrast subject. Trying it indoors in low light levels if that is what you are doing may be an unreasonable test.
20 May 2010 1:29PM

Quote:You buy a lens in February 2009 and start a forum topic 15 months later as to whether it works or not.
Distance Selling Regulations do not apply after about 14 days so after 15 months you have no hope there.
If a lens develops a fault (dispputed by the makers and Warehouse Express) within 6 months under EEC law the fault is deemed to have been present when new as regards fitness for purpose. After 15 months you have no hope there.
You have a "reasonable" period (not specified in legislation) to reject faulty goods - I would regard 15 months as unreasonable - and I can understand Warehouse Express taking the same point of view after 15 months.
Your options include selling it second hand at a loss, buying a Canon AF body that supports AF at f8, or accepting it as it is.
It might be worthwhile starting a new thread asking for advice on getting it to AF on your body. The implication from experienced Canon users is it can - in bright light with a good contrast subject. Trying it indoors in low light levels if that is what you are doing may be an unreasonable test.

You haven't read what I said - this has been ONGOING since Feb 2009 - I contacted them straight away when I got the lens and they convinced me that I was doing something wrong and told me to practice and to try various things - the same thing happened when they returned it the first time. They stalled me and fobbed me off with excuses from the day I bought it. I used it in the back yard in good light on contrasty subjects and always used a tripod.
whipspeed 17 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
20 May 2010 2:39PM
Have you tried setting up the camera on the tripod and then taken 2 identical images, one with the lens that you normally use and then one with the lens you feel is faulty and view them side to side, this is what I was doing when looking at a lens that I felt wasn't working.
As you are an e2 member, you can then post them on this thread so we can see what you mean.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.