The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

what makes a 'good' flower pic?

blackbird 13 159 15 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 6:08PM
I have been thinking about what makes a 'good' flower photo, obviously 'good' is open to personal interpretation but I am thinking along the lines of pictures that convey something of the flower characteristics and are attractive images rather than seed catalogue type pictures.
I find that I can't use clicks as a measure of success in producing a good picture as they are so variable that comparisions are useless.
Is there anyone on this site who successfully sells flower images?
My questions are prompted by a kindly remark from a relative who suggested that I could sell greeting cards with my flower pics. My instant reaction was that I'm just not good enough but now I'm pondering about what would be required to be good enough......
Merille

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

webby962 14 129 1 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 6:22PM
Not sure about that, but I do know what makes a good "flour" pic Smile
NatalieKinnear 12 280 8
18 Mar 2007 6:27PM
Personally I love the flower photography done by Sue Bishop. She has written a book on it entitled 'Photographing Flowers'. An easy to read book with beautiful photos for inspiration.

Natalie
blackbird 13 159 15 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 6:43PM
(quote)Personally I love the flower photography done by Sue Bishop(/quote)

yes I agree, it's a lovely book, very inspiring Smile
janehewitt 16 215 1 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 6:50PM
Hi, I haven't sold many photos but I did sell 7 flower photos to a company that produces calendars. www.infocado.co.uk (or it could be .com?!) They are looking now for next year, might be worth a look Jane
Geoffphoto 13 13.5k United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 6:52PM
Check out the flower photography of the late great Robert Mapplethorpe

here

His flower pictures are stunning and sensual, people may not like all of Mapplethorpe's work (he was a very controversial photographer), but his flower images are sensational.
JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
18 Mar 2007 7:04PM
1) Correct representation of the flower's colour

2) Macro type image showing structural detail - e.g. petals
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 7:28PM
I sell lots of flower greetings cards, they seem to be very popular as 'Sympathy' cards.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
18 Mar 2007 7:35PM

Quote:Correct representation of the flower's colour, Macro type image showing structural detail - e.g. petals
Quote:

Both are helpful, though most important is light.

Paul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.