WEX Deal: Free Grip With Panasonic LUMIX G100 Purchase

What makes a professional Photographer

Evertonian 7 729 England
1 May 2013 3:51PM

Quote:I was recently asked to quote a price to do a wedding photoshoot for a couple that I have known for over 10 years, I duly quoted the couple and they seem to accept my quote,.............................

What do other members here think ??

Collect a decent deposit at the time of booking, then if they do cancel you are not out of pocket for maybe cancelling a subsequent request for another on the same day.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

1 May 2013 6:20PM

Quote:To be fair if you ask most people what a 'professional photographer' is they will answer the same way

'Someone who's profession is photography'

I'd totally agree with that, but it does seem that a lot of folk think you are only a pro photographer if you are a wedding photographer or run a studio, forgetting that there's a lot of other photographic professions out there
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
1 May 2013 6:22PM

Quote:But last week the sister of the bride phoned me to say that she thought the price was a bit over the top as I was not a professional photographer and I had not got any qualifications,

Sounds to me like a hastily thought up excuse to justify pulling out of the deal.

They probably found someone who will do it cheaper or even for free.
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
1 May 2013 7:44PM

Quote:and you can soon spot those who haven't spent a decent amount of time editing photos - it stands out a mile

For being what, a rank amateur if they do.
Graysta 15 1.1k England
1 May 2013 9:06PM

Quote:, if you are a mechanic then that is your profession.

BUT at the age of 11 I was selling photo's of local village scenes, and have continued my photography obtaining City & Guilds qualifications.
Today I sell photo's(or Images) in a few places and shoot weddings.
Double BUT when I left School very few apprenticeship's arose in photography. as I was working as a lad on a farm on a Saturday for more than the average paper boy could earn in a month. the Farmer I worked for introduced me to the local Tractor dealer and although I loved working AND photographing farm life told me that a trade was important and that although I enjoyed farm life( and all the photographic needs) I needed a trade.
I went and was the Apprentice earning far less per week than I did on a Saturday on the farm, but all along still the photography was my passion.Often getting a bollocking for taking shot's of tractor's at work (as we worked on farm break downs ), Once the management saw some pics they dam soon had the office walls of the sales office scattered with my stuff.

So I have C&G photography -- C&G Engineering (read on)
I own my own garage . I do a fair few weddings. this year might tip the scales as the tog qualification's might tip the engineering.

SO WHO am I? not a jack of all as both lives have been hard worked for,
Inspiration was my key from some great mentor's as would call them today,
Sooty_1 10 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
1 May 2013 9:20PM
The last wedding I did was for a friend. I wasn't too worried about the cheapest price around, I just worked out what it would cost me, including the time for editing the results, and charged them cost price. They didn't quibble (even though I subsequently found they could have got it cheaper!), they paid in advance (even though I didn't ask them to) and they decided they only wanted a few pictures printed - the rest were on a disc as per their request.
They were more than happy with the pictures, and when they asked for more prints for relatives and I didn't charge them, they were surprised and bought me some beer as a thank you! I also did them a dvd of the day, with a slideshow and music.

I am not a professional photographer, and they didn't employ me as one, but I have a lot of experience and the right kit and ability to do a decent job. They knew that. They might not have realised it was an "all in" price, and were happy when I clarified it.

I wish all weddings were so easy to do, and all couples were so obliging.

Nick
brendish 10 1 United Kingdom
2 May 2013 9:08AM
Hi Essexphotographer i have just done a wedding for a friend, but he also had a professional to do the same when it came to the results my picture was better than the pro. Had you offered to do this for free. You would have had a better reponse.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.