WEX Deals: Sony Summer Cashback - Claim Up To 300

What Micro Four Thirds lenses would you like to see next?

AndS 7 2.2k United Kingdom
30 May 2014 8:02PM
Think I'll steer clear of looking at those then, doing my best to not buy any more lenses for a month or two.Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coast 12 1.6k 292 United Kingdom
30 May 2014 9:54PM
Can be a consideration on the second hand market as they can be bought for not a
lot of wonga. . But they are bigger and heavier than the dinky m4/3rds lenses plus the addition of the adaptor.

Just bought the 45mm f1.8. Missed delivery today so picking it up in the morning from the good old Royal Mail Office. Just looking for best price on the 60mm macro as this will be added next in the coming month, all being well. No wife to sell to get one though so will have to rely on plain old cash Grin
AndS 7 2.2k United Kingdom
30 May 2014 10:08PM
That's the beauty of the M4/3, so small and light, not missing the Nikon stuff all. Tend to be taking the EM-10 with me most places now and will be getting the 45mm f1.8 next then either 25mm or 17mm f1.8.
Wife's used to me now and basically turns a blind eye until she want's to waste money on clothes, shoes, make up etcWink
Coast 12 1.6k 292 United Kingdom
30 May 2014 10:23PM
I have the 14mm f2.5 and 20mm f1.7 Panasonic Lumix lenses from my GF1 days but am tempted to sell these and replace with the Olympus 12mm f2 and either the 17mm or 25mm f1.8.

Have had mixed advice about swapping the 20mm f1.7 Lumix as quality from this pancake lens is excellent so not sure about that one.

Still using the FF Canon kit but the OMD comes everywhere with me and has got me taking more photographs and enjoying the opportunities it is giving me to do this. I guess it'll only be a matter of time before I make the decision and sell off the Canon kit.
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
31 May 2014 2:30AM

Quote:Can be a consideration on the second hand market as they can be bought for not a
lot of wonga. . But they are bigger and heavier than the dinky m4/3rds lenses plus the addition of the adaptor.

Just bought the 45mm f1.8. Missed delivery today so picking it up in the morning from the good old Royal Mail Office. Just looking for best price on the 60mm macro as this will be added next in the coming month, all being well. No wife to sell to get one though so will have to rely on plain old cash Grin

The 11-22mm can be picked up quite cheaply now.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Olympus-11-22mm-f/2.8-3.5-4/3_98325.html
dandeakin 12 209 3 England
31 May 2014 3:53AM
I shot the 20mm 1.7 II along side the 17mm 1.8 for about two weeks on my GX7 - I could have kept either. I ended up keeping the panasonic - it was noticeably better wide open and quite abit smaller. The only thing I preferred about the Olympus was the manual focus clutch ring which was pretty useful for zone focusing on the streets.
lemmy 13 2.8k United Kingdom
31 May 2014 7:49AM

Quote:I shot the 20mm 1.7 II along side the 17mm 1.8 for about two weeks on my GX7 - I could have kept either. I ended up keeping the panasonic - it was noticeably better wide open and quite abit smaller. The only thing I preferred about the Olympus was the manual focus clutch ring which was pretty useful for zone focusing on the streets.

I did the opposite. I didn't find any great difference in sharpness but that's never been a top priority for me anyway.

The main thing for me is the 17mm focal length which i've always had as my standard prime since I first went over to 35mm for my news work in the late 60s. The 20mm is a nice lens but just that bit to long for my taste and the focusing belongs to another age whereas the Olympus is lightning quick like all modern MFT lenses. Plus the feel of solidity is just the same as my old Leica, Canon and Nikon 35 f2s, metal and solid.

The focus clutch doesn't matter to me much as I can focus manually by just holding the shutter button halfway and the auto -focus is faster at acquiring initial focus than I am anyway. I used to zone focus (actually stick my Nikkor on 7 feet, stop it down to f8 and jut take pictures anyway, zone focus is a bit of a posh name for what I do) but the 17 is so fast on focus that I don't find any great advantage.

What is astonishing about MFT is that in a few short years it is a system that offers choices of lenses at 15, 17, 19 and 20mm at a range of prices. There's something for everyone there which means that dandeakin's and my my differing preferences can be be accomodated. I never envisaged such a system when I bought my GF1 as a backup to my DSLR four years ago.

I still want the 150 f2.8 and a 1.4 and 2x converter, though.
hobbo Plus
9 1.5k 3 England
31 May 2014 8:07AM
I recently acquired a SIGMA 60-1.2:8 ART ( portrait) LENS, it is exactly that, an amazingingly sharp bit of glass, that does exactly what it says on the tin.

The design with its smooth chrome, focussing ring, and its disconcerting rattle when the camera isnt switched on, or, is off camera, can be a bit off putting.....

But dont be put off, the results are truly amazing.........

......does anyone else use one on a PANASONIC GX7?
31 May 2014 8:13AM

Quote:But dont be put off, the results are truly amazing

I reviewed the 30mm Sigma for MFT. The optical quality and speed of focusing were up there with the best but at an absurdly low price. Real value for money. The rattling when the camera is switched off is a bit disconcerting but it's a part of the design and simply doesn't matter.

I've always liked Sigma lenses, film, DSLR and MFT.
31 May 2014 2:19PM
The thing I liked about the 17mm 1.8 focus was you could set it to focus at a set distance manually using the markings on the lens, say 2 meters. Then put it back into autofocus. Then when you're out on the streets autofocusing and something comes along suddenly just by pulling the collar the camera will instantly focus at whatever distance you set.

Why you can't allocate a few function buttons on the various cameras to do this is something I've always wondered.

The m43 fast prime options are remarkable given how new the mount is. It puts the Nikon/Canon crop ranges to shame.
31 May 2014 5:08PM

Quote:The m43 fast prime options are remarkable given how new the mount is. It puts the Nikon/Canon crop ranges to shame.

Yes, the first MFT was 2008 - fewer than 6 years ago. Remarkable, as you say.
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
31 May 2014 8:12PM

Quote:But dont be put off, the results are truly amazing

I reviewed the 30mm Sigma for MFT. The optical quality and speed of focusing were up there with the best but at an absurdly low price. Real value for money. The rattling when the camera is switched off is a bit disconcerting but it's a part of the design and simply doesn't matter.

I've always liked Sigma lenses, film, DSLR and MFT.

The 30mm is a bit of an odd length for me and I prefer the 19mm, but as you say there is something for everyone's taste and this is really good.
1 Jun 2014 12:38AM
There's a great value 25mm 1.4 in the classifieds at the moment ... Wink
Nouche 4 4 Switzerland
26 Dec 2015 4:17PM
heard theres a new Panasonic lense coming out spring 2016 ,the leicia DG 100-400mm f/4-6.3. Wondering about the price. Would like to invest in the Nocticron 42.5mm. So glad I don't have a Canon!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.