Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

What ND Filter Do I Need for a Slow Shutter Seascape and Skyscape Photograph?

17 Jan 2014 3:59AM
Hi everyone reading
So I have a Nikon D5100 with an 18mm - 55mm standard lens
I am planning to buy remote because I wanted to do some slow shutter speed photography
What kind of remote would I need for this?

And also what ND filter would I need for a 3-5 minute shutter speed in unsheltered daylight?

Would I need any other accessories to stop the sunlight overexposing the photo as well?

Any help or tips would be appreciated

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andybebbs 12 596 1 England
17 Jan 2014 7:18AM
Hi Muzzyroach
I got myself one of these off ebay works great.
And i would get yourself some Neutral Density filters the higher the number the more light it blocks out.
Hope that helps a little.
saltireblue Plus
9 10.4k 59 Norway
17 Jan 2014 7:50AM

Quote:Any help or tips would be appreciated

For long exposures don't forget to cover the viewfinder to prevent light getting in that way.

JackAllTog Plus
11 5.9k 58 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2014 1:26PM
Hi Maisie On the ND front there filters known as Lee Big stoppers that have a 10 stop light reduction capability, they are quite expensive - a cheaper one i bought is this 9 stop one!prime-nd/c1622 available ebay/amazon i think.
But even with one of these and a small f16-f22 aperture and a fixed low ISO (100) the shutter time may only be 10's of seconds, so you may need 2 filters for a bright day situation - never tried 2 though always chose sunrise/sunset with just the one filter.

I once bough a cheap UV filter and that gave some very long exposure times though only light near the UV frequency came in - Odd effect.
LenShepherd 12 4.1k United Kingdom
17 Jan 2014 2:48PM
You need a good tripod - a remote can help but is not essential.

You cannot get good "white moving water effects" in bright sunlight because the contrast is too high.
On an overcast day shutter speeds of an eighth are easy on a tripod. If water is moving quickly you can get some good blur effects at an eighth.
To get "white out" of waves or long white cloud streaks in the sky you need shutter speeds of 2 seconds or more, difficult without an ND filter.
The Lee big stopper is popular but still on back order. You need a holder and lens ring as well - total cost with big stopper over 175.
Edit - after taking a photo you can get a good idea of how much water motion blur you have by looking at the histogram.
steevo46 7 3 Australia
24 Jan 2014 6:37PM
The Hoya ND400 is a 9 stop ND filter. Good value, a 52mm filter is about US$45. Hoya also make a ND8 (8 stops) for a bit less $$.
To go from 1/250th sec to 4 min is about 16 stops so if you combine two filters you will be close.
Even though your 18-55mm lens CAN go to f/29,(mine does), don't go that far!, you'll get soft pics, stick to around f8 for sharpness and calculate the filters you need from there.
smith934 6 2
31 Jan 2014 8:45PM
If you have an iPhone there is an excellent app (Long Time Exposure Calculator) that will allow You to input correct shutter speed without an ND filter then input a filter factor and give you the corrected shutter speed with the chosen filter.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.