Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

what opensource / free software for editing?

Mizz82 5 7
26 Jun 2014 8:48PM
Hi there
Can anyone please give me recommendations for what opensource / free software is good for editing either on windows laptop or android tablet.
Needs to be easy to use but not too basic functionality.
Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2014 9:00PM
Free software I would suggest GIMP or paint.net. For simplicity I would say paint.net but GIMP wins out on functionality.
I think GIMP also runs on Linux.
Mizz82 5 7
26 Jun 2014 9:15PM
Thanks Mike. Any idea where safe to download from? So many dodgy sites out there
Ade_Osman 16 4.5k 36 England
26 Jun 2014 9:16PM
And for Android try looking at the free version of Photo Mate R2, I have the paid for version with all the bells and whistles which can do most things Lightroom can do on Windows. Such as converting/processing RAW files etc.
26 Jun 2014 10:01PM

Quote:Thanks Mike. Any idea where safe to download from? So many dodgy sites out there

Just google 'gimp.org' and it will get you there. Same for paint.net.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
26 Jun 2014 10:05PM
I usually go to cnet.com and find the download I want, and they generally supply a choice of links to off-site downloads. Haven't had a problem yet.
colijohn 8 59 2 Netherlands
27 Jun 2014 5:43PM
I use " iPiccy " is totally free and works on my windows laptop and my andriod tablet. Take a look at my portfolio all of the photos were edited using iPiccy.

Colin.
redsnappa 17 2.0k United Kingdom
27 Jun 2014 8:04PM
The best has to be Serif PhotoPlus Starter edition. The reason is Serif Photo Plus Starter has adjustment layers, a feature that is so useful. It's annoying that all other free editing software including Gimp does not have adjustment layers.
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
27 Jun 2014 8:16PM

Quote:The best has to be Serif PhotoPlus Starter edition.

Good call.

I cut my photo editing teeth on PhotoPlus many editions ago.
I'm talking about the paid for version here and a friend who had the then latest version of Elements installed them both on his machine. He reckoned that there as nothing to choose between them.
The only drawback with using the Starter edition; I looked at it quite recently, is that many of the features that exist in the paid for version are, unsurprisingly, disabled.
That, in itself, wouldn't be so bad but the buttons are all still there. They just don't work, instead a pop-up tells you that you need the paid for version to access it.
Having said that, by downloading the Starter edition, even if you don't use it, you'll automatically end up on Serif's mailing list and before long, they'll be offering you last year's paid for version for peanuts.
That's the one to go for.
Mizz82 5 7
27 Jun 2014 8:29PM
Thanks all, I'll check these programs out Grin
Mizz82 5 7
27 Jun 2014 8:45PM
What do you do with 'adjustment layers'?
27 Jun 2014 9:19PM
Adjust them Blush
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
27 Jun 2014 9:22PM

Quote:What do you do with 'adjustment layers'?

How long have you got . . . ? !

Seriously, in very, very simple terms, a layer is effectively a copy of your image which sits 'above' or, if you like, 'in front of' the image upon which you're working.
You make adjustments to the layer, leaving your original untouched and only when you're happy with those adjustments, do you apply them to the original; a process known as 'flattening.'

All is revealed here.
(I hope!)
Mizz82 5 7
27 Jun 2014 10:52PM
Thank you jester the clown
collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2014 8:05AM
............ and don't forget Perfect Effects 8......

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.