Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

What's staid?

photoid5 18 154
10 Jan 2003 8:10AM
Staid to me is old. "Old" is a state of mind. "It takes many years to become young" in mind and heart. Forgive me if I have offended anyone with my choice of words.
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
10 Jan 2003 8:42AM
Where has the "offence" occurred?
photoid5 18 154
10 Jan 2003 9:21AM
It's a tricky business posting comments in the readers gallery. Assuming that comments left are intended to help or encourage the photographer on his/her journey of self discovery and development and no mindless slating is intended, maybe it is best to stick with compliments or short four letter words which are easily understood with no intellectual straining required. Just say it's "crap" and leave the author to work out why.
railton 18 304
10 Jan 2003 10:07AM
Not sure if you wanted this Leanne but here is confirmation: Staid, adj, "of a settled, sedate, and steady character." John.
photoid5 18 154
10 Jan 2003 10:28AM
Thanks John. Bear with me if I find images fitting this description utter crap.
Digital1 19 93
10 Jan 2003 10:43AM
Hi Leanne

I must admit it seems at times you are not allowed to have your own opinions.

I have stopped commenting on the forums now, and also trying to help people with problems and questions. This is due to having had some very nasty e-mails slating both myself and Jessops who I work for.

So I will now only view and not comment or make suggestions.

Baz
photoid5 18 154
10 Jan 2003 12:11PM
That's sad, Baz,.

There are people on this site who need help.
SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
10 Jan 2003 12:31PM
Here's the way I see it. If I put up a picture and someone doesn't like it for any reason or they think it's c**p, I honestly don't mind them saying so - especially if they say why. I don't take it personally. I'm not only here to learn I'm also here to join in with the conversation with other people who take photographs - both amateur and professional.

Leanne I always find your work fresh and exciting. What I don't always do on this site is to give my opinion based on what genre a piece of work might represent. I'm not sure that it's valid to criticise a photographer for being based in a particular genre or for tying in with a particular market's image or guidelines, even if I don't like the piece of work. But first class work always shines. Grin
photoid5 18 154
10 Jan 2003 1:57PM
You are absolutely right, Suzi. I have learned from this episode not to get involved in other people's troubles.

"You makes your bed and you lies in it.

Just take the money and run."

Regards to all...
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
10 Jan 2003 1:59PM
Baz. I wasn't aware of the problems you've had. If you, or indeed anyone else, gets personal attacks I'd like to know so I can monitor it. If people have to attack I'd prefer them to do so through the forums rather than going off on a personal email campaign. Then we can have a clearer understanding of what's happening, and hopefully control any unfair behaviour. I know you've been a gem when it comes to answering readers questions and it seems such a shame that someone has spoiled that for being petty. Hopefully you'll give us another go. I'd also appreciate copies of the emails that have caused the offence.
Katie 19 76
10 Jan 2003 3:28PM
Can't believe that some people have had such a negative experience on this site from other users.
I'd hoped that this fine website which i am proud to work for, would be a positive, response fulled community. As Jean Luc-Picard said-"Make it so".
As i have minimal photographic experience, but enjoy photography as an artform, i'd hope that when i leave any comments it's up to the individual to either totally disregard them or appreciate it for what it is-a comment.
As for you Baz, come back to the forums and gallery areas. We want everyone's input. If you get any arsy emails, send the buggers to me and i'll send the boys round. Obviously not Pete and Will as they don't do physical violence but i'm sure i can muster up some men who will. (BTW-the last comment is in noway endorsed by ePHOTOzine, and is just a personal comment). Nuff said
Paddy 18 254 8 England
10 Jan 2003 7:09PM
Baz.. What a shame, come back the site needs you..I feel everyone has something to offer.... Some people, take things the wrong way.. we all have something to give & learn, I have learnt & grown with the help of you all on site.. I just wish if you have something to say, it was with a nice tone & manor.. harse words hurt.....We can't all like everything ..
Constructive criticism.. is the way forward...Curt comments Hurt.... paddy
BOB S 18 2.6k
10 Jan 2003 7:48PM
Hi Leanne - STAID does NOT equal OLD, I am old but I am not staid.
Staid equals for me unchanging, similar, boredom.

BAZ, I'm dissapointed to hear about your problems that is definately out of order! PETE,the only way to put a stop to this is to NAME NAMES !!

BOB
photoid5 18 154
10 Jan 2003 7:52PM
Read me again, BOB
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
10 Jan 2003 8:21PM
Happy to name names Bob, I just need them!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.