Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

What's better than Om-D EM5? Can I use its lenses for an Olympus DSLR instead?

ChrisV Plus
13 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2017 8:26AM
I wouldn't say stills are an afterthought from Panasonic. They push motion hard because from the outset that was the added virtue of the GH line and the GH5 looks as if it is specc'd up as the highest quality motion picture capture in the ilc market. But its stills quality will likely be very similar to the EM1ii. I have the earlier version of that camera (which I like), but IQ differences across most modern MFT cameras is splitting hairs.

Points of differentiation are more down to build quality and different features. The headline features of the EM1ii - aside from high build quality - appear to be its shooting speed and tracking capabilities. The Panasonic can't match it on the former, (although it's still ridiculously fast), but I've read some suggestions its dfd based tracking may actually outperform the hybrid phase/contrast CAF of the Olympus. We'll have to see if anyone does some rigorous side by side testing. It's a question of personal taste to some degree, but many (myself included) prefer the ergonomics of the Panasonic series.

It's a bit disturbing to see the considerable price hike both manufacturers have adopted in the newer top models. If IQ is of ultimate concern clearly better results (mainly due to sensor size) can be got from many other makers for less money. The slightly cheaper Panasonic does have the justification for film makers of being arguably the best bang for buck in that regard.

I suppose MFT shooters are in the fortunate position of choosing a system which is not limited to one marque. I use both Panasonic and Olympus and although it can make the head spin a little adjusting to the differing ways they work, I'll often take one of each out on a shoot so I don't need to change glass so much. That seems doubly important if you shoot with primes a lot and (imo) the MFT system does tend to pull you in that direction particularly if you want subject isolation.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kodachrome 8 723
22 Mar 2017 11:18AM
About right Chris, its quite a choice in a way for M/4/3 shooters, I use a couple of Panasonic zooms on my EM-10. I was hoping the Kodak M/4/3 camera would have taken off thus giving an even bigger lens choice, but it seems to have died a death. I would like to see more 3rd party lenses for M/4/3 but the 2 big makers seem reluctant to expand on what they already do. The Panasonic GH series seems to be the camera of choice for movie makers.

I'm sort of torn between M/4/3 and APS-C, both have their merits, will say more on this later.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.