Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

What's in a name

flossie 17 1.6k
28 Jan 2004 12:59PM
Id like to find out how some of these (very!) strange user names came about.
Some are quite obvious some are downright intriguing.
'Park my ferret' started me off with this, so Paul, I hope you'll enlighten us as to where that one came from :o)

Right, better start with me;

Back to college days, I always used to have my toothbrush and floss in my bag (emergency provisions in case of an impromptu party, you don't need an overnight bag when you're 18) Everyone found it highly amusing that I carried my dental kit around with me but I have always liked to look after my teeth.
Me and my best mate were both called Anne so it got a bit confusing at times. We were big Anne and little Anne for a while but as we were both about the same size that didnt really work. Then, someone saw me 'flossing' one day ...the rest is history!
Nobody has called me that for many years, but it just came to mind when I was thinking of a name for here so there you are, how I came to be called Flossie :o)
ball942 17 53
28 Jan 2004 1:01PM
will mines quite boring really, its my suname and the last 3 digits of my old army number, its just something that i used everytime i got charged with not polishing my boots or not shaving correctly or something comletley stupid, so its something i will never forget, in fact i still get nightmares about it!!!!
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
28 Jan 2004 1:04PM
Anne this is potentially another very interesting thread that could develop. Shame I can't help....Pete...hmmmm not a lot I can say about that! hehe
Firebaby 17 1.2k Faroe Islands
28 Jan 2004 1:21PM
Mine is the first thing I thought of when registering here, and later I didn't want to create another persona, so I stuck with it.

I'm a bit of a kit-monster too!
FrankThomas 18 2.8k United Kingdom
28 Jan 2004 1:22PM
mine's dead obvious - it's just my name
kit-monster 17 3.7k 2 Singapore
kit-monster . . . speaks for itself really. I love toys, kit, gadgets etc. Not surprising I got sucked into photography!
I normally spend months and months researching something and then when I decide go for it, I get frustrated if I can't get my hands on it with-in 24 hours. This has lead to crazy shopping dashes across London during my lunch hour. The Internet has made things worse as I'm better off not knowing about something. So I've ended up with
- a camera I couldn't afford
- a lust for Canon 'L' lenses
- mountaineering gear you could use on the south col of Everest (or in my case, Cairngorm plateau in winter)
- on my 3rd mp3 player, 3rd gps, 6th PC, 4th mountain bike, 7th PDA . . .
I probably need counseling!
Boyd 17 11.2k 11 Wales
Mine's quite boring - my d.o.b. and first name.
roxpix 17 2.2k 11 Scotland
28 Jan 2004 1:32PM
Mines straight forward enough
My surname is Roxburgh and while looking for a short web address (about 10years too late) I just took the rox and changed pics to pix for a bit of simitry.

Alan
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
28 Jan 2004 1:33PM
Kit-monster you are what's known as an early adopter and really important in the eyes of the manufacturer because if you didn't exist no products would ever develop.
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
28 Jan 2004 1:42PM
Think mine's pretty obvious, although I suppose I could also have called myself 'GadgetFreak', I feel strangely in tune with kit-monster.

Ian
mkenney 17 64
28 Jan 2004 1:50PM
mine is easy, my name mkenney = Mags Kenney.
I am also a gadget freak and am in tune with kit-monster and digicammad!!!.
warb 17 839
28 Jan 2004 1:54PM
thanks for that anne, i would be very interested to see some more, there are quite a few that hav had me scratching my head, 'iscramble' comes 2 mind, is it obvious? and i hav 2 say ian (digicammad), the lack of spaces in urs baffled me at 1st but i think ive got it now :o)

my name is obviously the 1st part of my surname, but i like it, it goes with everything, kind of warp but not quite, a little more warbed.
Big Bri 19 16.7k United Kingdom
28 Jan 2004 2:02PM
my username on another site was kitmonster, so it seems there are a number of us.

My username is ironic really, as I am quite petite and my real name is Brenda. Wink
zippie 17 1.3k England
28 Jan 2004 2:06PM
My mother bought me a nice new parker when I was in school, it had pockets everywhere, with zips on....hence my nickname in school!
darla 17 341
28 Jan 2004 2:10PM
Well I seemed to adopt the nickname darla a few years ago when I got a pair of leather trousers and was out one night with my mates. Apparently I looked like the Darla from buffy/Angel. Can't see the resemblance myself but a friend took a pic a while back to prove it, shall put it in my profile sometime.
Rachael

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.