Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

What's the difference between event photography and reportage?

Jeroboams 1 9
19 Dec 2017 2:31PM
I presuming events involves getting the people to look, pose, smile for the camera but are there any other differences when it comes to event and reportage photography?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.5k 58 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2017 10:27PM
I'd say reportage is a visual story telling of the truth you see in a situation. Where as event photography is more trying to show the buzz of an event and the good times being had - i'd assume its typically less confrontational too as many events want publicity - but not all news issues want cameras.
Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
20 Dec 2017 8:09PM
As you said getting people to pose in small and large groups would be more traditional Event Photography.

If you were photographing a wedding celebration and you did it in a documentary style, with many candid shots and fly-on-the-wall shots that would be Reportage.

'Traditional' event photographers still do a mix - not all shots would be posed with subjects looking to camera.
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
21 Dec 2017 6:39AM

Quote:not all shots would be posed with subjects looking to camera.

Sporting events is possibly one such area, such as horse jumping or cross country mountain biking.
As we known, Reportage photography is more than a style, or a set of techniques, and it is actually much closer to storytelling, a phenomenon which is getting increasingly more central to the world of cultural and artistic production.
hobbs 15 1.3k United Kingdom
25 Dec 2017 7:41AM
I do quite a bit of event photography and I find I take about 75% of images as unposed. The interesting thing I find is that the stats on the galleries show that the non staged stuff gets a lot more interest.

Event photography is telling the story of the evening / day which in many ways is reportage, but the central story is the event. The storyline is already written before you start taking photographs.
mikeweeks 14 977 3 England
1 Feb 2018 9:09AM
I was one of those that many years ago asked for the "Event photography" section and at the time i would have classified event photography as people attending events and taking images for sale to the participants on the day (or later) so covering things like football tournaments & cheerleading events, corporate & social events such as black tie.

What was not intended was the reportage thing including taking images of the red arrows or a stage play because you would not be selling to the participants.

However like many things it has come to mean many different things to many different people.

Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.