What's the most important accessory?

Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
8 Aug 2009 11:04PM
Tripod

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 12 736 4
8 Aug 2009 11:56PM
Head. (Have we unwittingly started another single word association football thing?)
JamesBurns 11 1.3k 7
8 Aug 2009 11:58PM

Quote:Head. (Have we unwittingly started another single word association football thing?)

I love head when I'm shooting, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the most important thing...
User_Removed 12 736 4
9 Aug 2009 12:00AM
Tee hee! Surely that would give you camera shake though?
JamesBurns 11 1.3k 7
9 Aug 2009 12:02AM
I'm fairly sure that it would depend on how hardcore you were
User_Removed 12 736 4
9 Aug 2009 12:06AM
Perv! Wink
JamesBurns 11 1.3k 7
9 Aug 2009 12:13AM
Humph.

You started it. Tongue
User_Removed 10 718 9 England
9 Aug 2009 12:36AM
Some honey and bird seed.
JamesBurns 11 1.3k 7
9 Aug 2009 12:37AM
I'm not that kind of boy
User_Removed 12 736 4
9 Aug 2009 12:53AM

Quote:I'm not that kind of boy

Really? Wink
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
9 Aug 2009 2:36AM

Quote:Apart from bags whats the best accessory or more important accessory you never leave home without?

Its tricky as its going to depend a lot on what I go out intending to shoot. If its macro then my flash and spare (charged) batteries are high on the list; if its landscape then the tripod is going to be there;
I think the important thing is to make sure that whatever you are getting/carrying that you have a clear idea in your mind of when, where and why you will use that bit of kit on the days shoot - if not then its best to leave it at home if space and carrying is a limit, if not then heck take it with you.

However for me there are always a few things stuck in the bag for any occasion:
Gloves, hat, small foldup waterproofs (sadly not expensive breathable types, but they are good in a pinch if there is a downpour), OPTech Raincover for the camera, torch and probably one or two things I have forgotten.
That way even if the weather does turn I am not caught out, nor am I if I stay out to late and the light goes.
keithknight 14 60 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2009 10:00AM
From Dictionary.com
Quote:a subordinate or supplementary part, object, or the like, used mainly for convenience, attractiveness, safety, etc., as a spotlight on an automobile or a lens cover on a camera.

Surely the most important accessory is an oxymoron, since by being the most important it ceases to be an accessory.

But I do know what you mean - for me a tripod is an essential, so must be the spirit level.
User_Removed 12 736 4
9 Aug 2009 11:48AM
Black bin bag. Comes in for all sorts of uses, from protecting gear from sudden downpours, to lying down on in muddy places, to actually transporting rubbish. As for favourite accessory....it's currently my ringflash adapter.
miptog 14 3.6k 63 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2009 12:29PM
Sometimes I just hate all those accessories I have to bring with me for a day's casual shooting:

- I want saturated blue sky, where's my circular polarizer
- The sky keeps blowing out, wheres my ND filter
- I want more of this landscape in view, wheres my wide angle
- Blimey I need to shoot at 1/10th at f/20, wheres my tripod
- It would be nice to have just a little bit of light reflected to fill the shadows on this portrait, wheres' my reflector, or maybe I could use my off camera flash, but better diffuse the light, wheres my lightstand, brolly and in case it falls over in the wind, my sandbags
- Bu**er, its starting to rain, and all my expesive kit is going to get soaked, wheres my bin liner/plastic bag

So the one absolutely essential item, for me, is a plastic bag... now where did I leave it ... Smile
rowarrior 12 4.4k 9 Scotland
9 Aug 2009 6:25PM
a microfibre towel, especially in this country!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.