What's the point?

779HOB 8 1.2k United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 2:43PM

Quote:painting brush stroke for brush stroke

Which unless you are an expect forger is impossible.

Quote:All he is doing is using someone else's work.

Which is all we do when we photograph a building, stained glass window or anything else created by someone else.

Quote: I doubt you would be happy if someone copied it exactly and made money from it, whatever the medium used. You would (rightly) expect royalty payments

I'd be happy for someone to do this - I would try to capitalise on it by advertising my photo as the inspiration for the drawing/painting.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1 9 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 3:20PM

Quote:Which unless you are an expect forger is impossible.

The ability of the artist is not the question. It's the principle that it can be done. The exactness of the reproduction is less important than the fact that it is more than substantially the same.

Quote:Which is all we do when we photograph a building, stained glass window or anything else created by someone else.

Not if we are looking at it in a different way. We are not attempting to recreate the building itself, nor are we making money at the architect's or builder's expense. If we built a copy of a brick building and used wood instead, then tried to sell it, I suspect that if the original creators knew, there would be a copyright issue unless you demonstrated that there were significant differences. Most buildings etc we wish to photograph are old enough for it not to be an issue. For instance, if you built and sold an exact copy of The Shard, I would expect the designer/architect to be a little unhappy.

By all means photograph other people's work, just don't claim it to be great art when all you are doing is using someone else's intellectual property.

Nick
21 Oct 2012 4:04PM

Quote:So if you create a pen drawing that exactly recreates a photograph, you are saying its not a copy?

Nick

Correct. Thats what i am saying, except you are confusing yourself. How can you possibly 'exactly recreate' a photograph with a pen? Ok, an Olympus Pen, perhaps

Quote:

I wouldn't call a photograph "a drawing" because it isn't. However, it is a photo, a snap, a shot, a picture, a representation and more. You seem to be splitting hairs on semantics when it suits you.

Nick

I'm not splitting hairs to suit myself, just trying to show the difference in something that seems to confuse many folk judging by some of the responses on this thread.

In my driveway i have a car. On a shelf in my office i have a model of that car, and i have also photographed it and created some digital art with it. Now, thats three different instances of a car, but NONE of them are the same thing. I can hardly drive the model, nor hang the real thing on my wall, yet, according to your logic, each of them is a copy. Just because the drawings this guy does are similar to the photograph he works from DOES NOT make them the same thing

Quote: The artist isn't using the photos for reference, he is attempting to exactly reproduce them. Hence my earlier statement that if he changed them significantly or used his own photos as a starting point, that would be fine....more artistic and less of a technical exercise.

Nick

Again, read above for clarification on 'exactly reproduce'

Quote:
If you took a photo, I doubt you would be happy if someone copied it exactly and made money from it, whatever the medium used. You would (rightly) expect royalty payments.

Nick

As i have said earlier, i have had people approach me asking permission to use my images to draw or paint from and in the majority of cases i have allowed them to do so. Usually they give credit and on occasions show my 'original' alongside it. Now, if someone approached me saying they wanted to COPY my work, then that would involve them buying the rights to my image (in other words they would be buying the rights to copy the file/make a duplicate of the negative)

And, again as i asked earlier, can someone point me to the copyright infringement/plagiarism cases he is involved in, and the comments from the angry photographers?
Nick_w 12 4.3k 99 England
21 Oct 2012 4:25PM

Quote:If you took a photo, I doubt you would be happy if someone copied it exactly and made money from it, whatever the medium used. You would (rightly) expect royalty payments.

Eeerm that's a dangerous avenue to go down, we see so many "classic" views on here of the same location and viewpoint. Replication is one of the learning curves. I can't see the problem, with the original image, not my cup of tee, but if the guy gets pleasure from it what's the problem, he obviously has talent.
Sooty_1 9 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 5:13PM
I'm not talking about taking the same photo, I'm talking about copying one that a photographer has already taken.
Metalhead 12 1.9k 2 England
21 Oct 2012 10:25PM
As someone who enjoys drawing using a biro myself I can see a point to this guys work but I'm not I sure I can express what that point is! As with any "photo realistic" art for me it's the personal triumph of being able to use that skill to achieve that level of realism. There's no better arty buzz than to have someone look at a piece of work and say "is that a photo?" then they examine it closely and see all the intricate line work involved.

I added some pics of a Jag and an Audi R8 I drew a while back in another thread on here

It does take an enormous amount of patience and attention as there's very little room for error and I think if someone was to want to pay for a piece of art like this they would be paying for the appreciation of the artist's skill. Photoshop could produce a similar effect in minutes, maybe, but if you had that piece of paper in your hand you would be able to feel the texture of each pen stroke within the paper and Photoshop could never replicate that.
Eviscera 13 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 10:59PM
audrey.jpg

Smile
Cephus Plus
15 2.5k England
22 Oct 2012 12:34AM

Quote:Smile

WOW!!! Did you do that with a Biro or a Bic??
Carabosse 16 41.4k 270 England
23 Oct 2012 1:08AM
Does this count as digital art? Created using FSX and a tiny bit of skill on my part. Wink But no copy/paste or anything like that - just a screen capture.

Flying an aircraft through Tower Bridge.

sr.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.