Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

What's wrong with my film camera?

24 Jan 2019 11:09AM
323588_1548328028.jpg

I have a canon ae1 and my last few films have turned out like the photo. I was thinking it was a light leak so i tested a film reel but the orange or fading isn't consistent throughout. Does anyone have any ideas, it seems like the orange shows up outside and the camera is fine in indoor lighting?323588_1548328161.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob Plus
13 3.0k 129 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2019 11:14AM
Looks to me that the cat has broken it Wink
bornstupix2 2 86 1 France
24 Jan 2019 11:45AM
It looks as if you may have a light leak.....check the foam seal round the camera back and also if you have access to it take a look at the state of the cassette you loaded.....was it old stock or faulty.....the cassette would stripe the film in only one place normally outside the camera, but when loaded if the camera was left sitting in strong light a stripe may appear down the exposed strip of film where it winds on to the take up spool. The extent of fogging would depend on camera case, degradation of sealant, strength of light and also the width may change as more film is wound on to the take up spool. I have several older film cameras where the foam in the body groove has disintegrated or gone sticky and failed.
orangejuice 13 45 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2019 2:28PM
It could be the foam around the window which allows you to check if you have a film in the camera has perished or moved
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2019 2:47PM
What Charles said (bornstupix2) as far as I recall the AE-1 didn't have a window to check for loaded film. When used indoors the level of light will more than likely be less and cause little or no fogging, but in bright light fogging will be evident.
randomrubble 14 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2019 5:59PM
The AE-1 has a horizontal running cloth shutter. It looks a lot like the shutter is sticking at some point in its travel. You may be able to see this if you fire a few times at different speeds with the back open.

A few years back I’d say bin it and get a new one but they are now expensive enough that it may be worth getting it serviced.

Alternatively the T70 is a nice camera and quite cheap.
randomrubble 14 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2019 6:19PM
Sorry. I just looked again and with the colour of the problem it will be a light leak. The seals are quite easy to replace on these cameras, just look for Aki Asahi on ebay for pre-cut kits - I just got some for an OM-10 and it only took a few days.
24 Jan 2019 9:57PM
Surely if it was a light-leakage problem, the degradation would be across the whole frame, and/or very blotchy, not just a fairly defined ‘chunk” of the photo...? puzzled by it being predominantly outdoors shots though..!

sorry, only asking...

altitude50 15 15.7k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2019 11:12PM
As randomrubble points out the first time it looks like the shutter is at fault. The second blind is slowing down part of the way across the frame making one part of the film exposed to light for too long, this is indicated by the sharp line across the short side of the image.
You might be able to confirm this by choosing a slow speed, say 1/4 of a second and watching with the back of the camera open, also by listening.
Probably quite expensive to fix.
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
25 Jan 2019 11:06AM
It is a light leak, not the shutter.

The leak is more than likely around the take up spool.
25 Jan 2019 11:21AM
The answer is to look at the negatives. If the discolouration/lightbleed extends across the perforation area then it is a light leak. If it is only on the image then my bet is that the shutter is slowing down.Grin
26 Jan 2019 7:59PM

Quote:If the discolouration/lightbleed extends across the perforation area then it is a light leak. If it is only on the image then my bet is that the shutter is slowing down.Grin

Damn.. that makes sense...my money is on a shutter problem, but this is a good point..
miranadh55 New Member
10 Aug 2019 5:54PM
Hi there!

I have a Minolta X700. The last 3 film rolls, all different types have caused this to happen to all my exposures. I'm pretty sure that there is something wrong with my camera, just not sure what exactly. Just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar or might know what could be the issue.

Thanks!

326340_1565455958.jpg

10 Aug 2019 6:20PM
The shutter is at fault. The shutter blinds expose the film by travelling horizontally across the film one after the other, the gap betweeen them determines the time that the shutter is open. At 1/1000 second very narrow, at 1/30 quite wide..
Open the back when there is no film inside and operate the shutter at various speeds from about 1/4 second to 1/250 and watch the operation.
(I am assuming from the example that flash is NOT being used.)
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
11 Aug 2019 10:03AM

Quote:Surely if it was a light-leakage problem, the degradation would be across the whole frame, and/or very blotchy, not just a fairly defined ‘chunk” of the photo...? puzzled by it being predominantly outdoors shots though..!

sorry, only asking...

A sensible observation - and a sensible question Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.