50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

What size and make external hard drive is best?

RoyBoy 16 303 2 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2008 10:28PM
I have had two 120Gb Iomega external hard drives that are over 5 years old, one of which has been connected to my PC and starts up everytime the computer is running (which is typically most nights) and they have never let me down. I also have larger capacity Iomega and Maxtor drives each of which contain the same data (a bit of insurance). All have been great.

My view is that external hard drives are such good value for money, why take a risk with a major computer crash and possibility of lost data.

Roy
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
28 Dec 2008 10:37PM

Quote:Regardless of how fancy your disk array, regular backups to independent devices are a must.

Hear! Hear! The fact that everything is working today does not guarantee that it will be tomorrow.

The fact that it has done so for many years may mean that it is approaching the end of its reliable life!

Back up regularly, as Ian recommends!
Photogeek 15 605 6 Wales
28 Dec 2008 11:06PM

Quote:Regardless of how fancy your disk array, regular backups to independent devices are a must

Hear! Hear! The fact that everything is working today does not guarantee that it will be tomorrow.

The fact that it has done so for many years may mean that it is approaching the end of its reliable life!

Back up regularly, as Ian recommends!

Of course, Backups are essential (My day job is A DBA Wink ), but any software corruption will also be backed up, and hardware does fail we had two disk drives fail in a RAID 1 set the week before Christmas . . . the previous failure was when another server overheated and blew the RAID controller frying two disks . . . that was a year ago . . . .and we have close on 260 Servers in our estate . . . . the number of disk failures is not all that high . . . . but they are all backed up. Good data protection involves working practice not a reliance on hardware or software . . . Of course using reliable hardware makes life easier in the first place.
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
28 Dec 2008 11:13PM

Quote:Good data protection involves working practice not a reliance on hardware or software .

The provision of adequate laid down working procedures that are regularly adhered to are a must.

You contravene this to the peril of your data.

This also holds true in any sphere of operations.
jas
Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
29 Dec 2008 2:25AM
...and life in general ? Wink Smile
chinny 16 492 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2009 7:41AM
Tesco are doing a Iomega 1TB desktop hard drive for 70 anybody using one? and is USB2.0 ok ? link
djdanhealy 11 1
7 Aug 2009 1:15PM
I have a Porsche Lacie firewire drive which has been great, really fast and no problems. Before that I had a WD Mybook which died on me, I lost everything on it..

Looking at a 1tb Lacie drive:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lacie-1TB-External-Hard-Disk-Drive-USB-eSATA-FireWire_W0QQitemZ330346171056QQcategoryZ16178QQcmdZViewItem
It's the USB eSATA FireWire one and the read speed is 7200.
Anyone get anything bad to say about it before I seal the deal?

Thanks!
Krakman 14 3.6k Scotland
7 Aug 2009 1:41PM
You may not like Western Digital (personally I've had good experiences of them and bad with other makes, having had three hard discs fail - not WD ones) but 1TB Western Digital drives are currently 69 in PC World and Curry's. I just bought one, it's very nice.

Pay a little extra than your Lacie, and you could buy two of the WD's of the same size - one for your data and one for a back-up.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
7 Aug 2009 2:27PM
I agree. I put WD above any others mentioned (sorry Vince Wink) - currently have three on my m/c - 80Gb SATA for OS then two 500Gb SATA for data and backup.

Have never had a WD drive fail on me but have seen Seagate's go along with Maxtors etc.
Psychoian 11 18 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2009 1:03AM
Hi all ...

I use a 500GB eSata HDD (You can get an eSata PCI card if your MoBo does ot have eSata built in); it cost me approx 80 6months ago (Seagate ST300000XS). The file transfer speeds with eSata are approx 3 times faster than USB2.
This is also ideal for Photoshop when setting the primary scratch disk so as not to slow down the performance of your machine. This is also true when working on an image that is stored on the external drive so as not to use up resources on the primary drive even if the primary drive is partitioned, thus not slowing down the machine especialy on machines that do not have much processing power and a minimum amount of RAM. Editing a large image in Photoshop with only your primary drive and no external drive will slow the performance of your PC and limit the size you can make the iamage for editing.
I have worked on a single image ~ 'photo repair' of 800mb with great ease using this method.
The transfer rate from your digital equipment will be up to 3 times faster than USB2 making it a breeze especialy with any AVI's you may also have on the camera.
I can't see much point either in partitioning an external hard drive unless you are not going to be the only user of it.

Hope those make sense Smile.
vagabond 15 39 1 Wales
8 Aug 2009 8:24PM
I've had good experiences with internal HDD from WD and Seagate but lots of problems with their desktops. In my experience the electronics in their enclosures are prone to failure while the drives still function normally. Lacie external drives seem very good IMO. Their FW800 rugged portable HDDs are sweet too (if a bit expensive). I disagree that USB2 has caught up with FW400, maximum transfer rates might be higher with USB2 but in practice FW400 gives much better sustained transfer rates in my experience.
I think buying a 1Tb WD Caviar black and a third party decent enclosure probably makes a lot of sense at the moment.
blackfive 11 5 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2009 7:01PM
I have to agree that backups are a must and an external drive is the ideal source but as with anything electronic and mechanical failures can occur. I always used IBM hard drives, now Hitachi, that had a very good reliability record but one still failed.
At the beginning of this year I bought a Western Digital My Book external HDD of 1TB capacity. I was going to get a 500GB capacity but found that the 1TB capacity was 2 cheaper in Comet (of all places!) due to a special purchase offer. However I still burn my images to a CD as an additional backup as disaster has struck before.
I've been looking again at the external HDD's on the market and have noticed that, in just over 6 months, less of them now have eSATA as an interface and firewire also seems to be dying a death.
The good thing about the WD external drive I got was it was much cheaper than a bare HDD so I could always take the drive out of the case and install it into a desktop if I wanted.
wasper 15 533 1 Ireland
17 Aug 2009 1:48PM
I stumbled on this topic. I did my homework & went to Apple Irish site & ordered a Western Digital home version 1Tb, Firewire, USB2 & SATA all for 126. The price is 139 & free shipping. But I knew the guy I got a bit of a discount.
robertt Plus
15 142 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2009 8:35PM
Has anyone managed to get a 1tb Western digital my book external drive working on esata. I can only get mine to work on usb2. I installed a esata card and it still won`t recognise the drive. Asus a8n-sli, vista home premium.
robertt.
MeanGreeny 15 3.7k England
18 Aug 2009 7:53AM

Quote:This is also ideal for Photoshop when setting the primary scratch disk so as not to slow down the performance of your machine.

Not entirely true.

'Ideal' is having enough RAM to set up a RAM Disk and watch Photoshop really fly.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.