WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

What the hell is a transparent proxy server?

xanda 16 244 2 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2006 1:50PM
...and what's it doing on my PC? While spending an innocent Saturday afternoon on EPZ I'm getting these annoying reports from Norton IS telling me something is trying to access the transparent proxy server on my machine.

What is it?
Who put it there?
What's it doing?

Any ideas????
AnthonyM 15 428 2 United States
25 Nov 2006 3:45PM
The Transparent Proxy is Norton IS's was of protecting your Internet browsing. It is trying to intercept and analyze what you view before it gets to your browser.

You could probably try looking up the exact message and get more details, but I am guessing this may or may not be a serious problem.

I dont use NIS, but it sounds similar to other firewalls and protection schemes. It could be expected, if say a known script was trying to access resources, but if an unfriendly source was trying to do the same it may not be so friendly. For example of the not-so-friendly variety, it could be a virus or worm trying to shut down NIS?? On the friendly side, maybe Flash or other valid web page object is causing the message???

The problem with firewalls and proxy's is that in order for you to make a good judgment call, too often you really have to know more information about what is going on than they tell you.
xanda 16 244 2 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2006 3:53PM
Thanks for that. It gives me somewhere to start. It only seems to happen while I'm on EPZ.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.