Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

What to buy

CathyT 13 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2013 10:19AM
Unfortunately its gone........Sad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal Plus
14 8.9k 6 England
9 Apr 2013 10:27AM

Quote:Unfortunately its gone........Sad

oh that's a bummer - not surprised though at that price!
CathyT 13 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2013 11:40AM
I've put a WANTED ad in classifieds...hopefully someone will see it.
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
9 Apr 2013 4:51PM

Quote:They're a very diverse selection of compacts. The s110 and the Sony have no viewfinder, while the G15 and X10 have viewfinders (but not very good ones, in that they don't cover the whole picture - and there's no settings data shown in the G15's). There's also a big difference in the cameras' sizes - with the X10 being the largest

The x10 viewfinder is pretty good, sure its the standard 85% that most give you, but its not bad, overal the x10 is also slightly smaller and less bulky than the G15.
Steppenwolf 7 1.2k
10 Apr 2013 8:37AM

Quote:
The x10 viewfinder is pretty good, sure its the standard 85% that most give you, but its not bad, overal the x10 is also slightly smaller and less bulky than the G15.

True, but it doesn't give you what a decent EVF does. The V1 has a good EVF and it's not much bigger than the X10, despite the V1's much bigger sensor. I've compared these compact cameras and they don't come near the V1 when you look at all the features. And of course the killer feature of the V1 is that if you get bored with the limited range of the fixed lens camera (which you will) you can buy a new lens.
10 Apr 2013 1:58PM
Why not go the whole hog then and go M4/3,even better, but the posters interested in compacts not CSC`s Smile

There is a Pentax Q here, including three lenses, and a 12 month warranty for 200.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Pentax-Q-+-3-Lenses-*EX-DEMO*_70771.html

A pity there not going to make them any more.
Steppenwolf 7 1.2k
10 Apr 2013 2:31PM

Quote:Why not go the whole hog then and go M4/3,even better, but the posters interested in compacts not CSC`s Smile

When you compare the size of a G15 with that of the Nikon V1 there isn't a great deal of difference - they both fit in a coat pocket. I can see the attraction of the really small compacts (like the S110) which go almost in a shirt pocket but you lose the viewfinder, so it's always a compromise. People get too hung about categories - compacts, CSCs, etc. When you can get a high quality CSC like a V1 for 259 it seems strange to me that anyone would go for an X10 or a G15 - they're missing out on a lot of features and losing image quality - and paying more. As you say, there's also M4/3 - a Panasonic G3 can be bought for little over 300 and it's in a different league to the X10/G15 although it's getting a bit big to go in a pocket.

Pentax Q was always going to bomb. The sensor's so small you don't need interchangeable lenses.
10 Apr 2013 2:44PM

Quote:they're missing out on a lot of features and losing image quality - and paying more

Am I ? I use both, and each has there place, and your not loosing much in the way of image quality in most conditions like you say Smile
ChrisV Plus
12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2013 2:44PM

Quote:

Pentax Q was always going to bomb. The sensor's so small you don't need interchangeable lenses.

There are so many about going very cheap at the moment that I almost get sticky fingers. But then I ask myself what Pentax should have at the time of their conception: "What the hell are you thinking about?"
10 Apr 2013 2:51PM
200 quid for a Pentax Q, 3 lenses and a 12 month warranty, its about what you would pay for a second hand LX5 Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.