What to take to malaysia..

Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
19 Sep 2013 8:59AM
Believe me, Ed, it is a lot worse than most major city in the world, a lot worse.
I am not saying Malaysian are less friendly now, far from it. I am saying crime rate is through the roof in recent years, and getting more and more violence as well. And because of the politicians and police still live in denial, criminals are getting darer and darer.
I am still following news in Malaysia everyday here.
I was going to go back to Malaysia for good sometime this year, but I am postponing it at the moment because of that.

BTW, nasi lemak, roti canai, curry noodle, dim sum etc for breakfast, you are spoiled for choice.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kit-monster 16 3.7k 2 Singapore
19 Sep 2013 9:36AM
That's very sad to hear, I'll take your word for it, it's hard to get a clear picture from here in ultra safe Singapore . . . All my experience of Malaysia have been very good and I'm heading up the east coast in a couple of weeks. I hope things settle down and you can head back.
19 Sep 2013 9:37AM
Got to agree with kit-monster about the people there. They are very friendly and helpful. Super place to visit, I am sure you will have a great time. I was using canon G10 last time I was there, light and easy to lug about. have fun. Alex
Gundog 6 629 Scotland
19 Sep 2013 11:12AM
I now never take my 14-24mm, 24-70mm or 70-200mm f/2.8 trio anywhere that involves flying (because of the cabin baggage weight restrictions). All my travel needs are met admirably by the Nikkor 28-300mm and, if I anticipate needing something wider, then the 20mm f/2.8 goes in a jacket pocket. Lots of exhibition and salon successes with that 28-300mm lens. In prints up to A3+ size, the IQ differences between it and the "holy trinity" are invisible to the naked eye.

If you don't have one, you might get it cheaper at an airport shop?

Have a great trip. I envy you the photographic opportunities it will provide.
crookymonsta Plus
11 842 10 England
19 Sep 2013 11:24AM
My friend had her handbag stolen when we were enjoying a coffee one morning in Melaka, all it took was a moment's inattention. My advice, which really applies to travelling anwhere these days, is to take the minimum number of lens to give you a reasonably wide range of focal lengths and watch your bag at all times. I tend to put my foot through the strap if I have to put mine down for any reason.
annettep38 Plus
8 219 42 Costa Rica
19 Sep 2013 12:40PM
thank you very much for your great feedback.

However, I took the 200mm macro last time and the 600 mm..
so here is lightroom's statistic, that is after chucking the rubbish.
265 x 600mm
327x 14-24mm of which about 40% were taken at less than 18mm *actually, they were the most spectacular rainforest ones*
1608x 24-70mm (well i'm not surprised)
523x 80-200
933x 200mm micro Nikkor yes most of them are butterflies Smile and dragonflies and they aren't any faster than here, if you look in my PF I never dew-drip them, I like them warm and sunny and lively.

which makes me think that 18mm instead of the big zoom is an option
snd sorry the guy who thinks you can take insects in Malaysia with a 100mm or a 24-70 has never tried.

1st conclusion
the 24-70 is a must, so is the micro Nikkor 200mm.
Now what do i do about the big fast critters like birds, monkeys and so on
200-400 (very good for big fast butterflies,too) but a bit limited for birds of prey
or again the 600 5.6 MF

and the 80-200 is very good for markets, people etc.
annettep38 Plus
8 219 42 Costa Rica
19 Sep 2013 12:49PM

Quote:My friend had her handbag stolen when we were enjoying a coffee one morning in Melaka, all it took was a moment's inattention. My advice, which really applies to travelling anwhere these days, is to take the minimum number of lens to give you a reasonably wide range of focal lengths and watch your bag at all times. I tend to put my foot through the strap if I have to put mine down for any reason.

Quote:My friend had her handbag stolen when we were enjoying a coffee one morning in Melaka, all it took was a moment's inattention. My advice, which really applies to travelling anwhere these days, is to take the minimum number of lens to give you a reasonably wide range of focal lengths and watch your bag at all times. I tend to put my foot through the strap if I have to put mine down for any reason.

Melaka is indeed a horrible tourist trap and I felt pretty uneasy there.. My pictures from there say enough I think.. I never took much to the town like the suburbs a lot more.
when I sit down my photo bag goes on the table between us.

Let me also mention that my partner looks pretty impressive for most locals , even the tall ones Smile they were often asking for a picture next to him (6'6")
-aan3282-2.jpg

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 Sep 2013 12:55PM

Quote:Believe me, Ed, it is a lot worse than most major city in the world, a lot worse.
I am not saying Malaysian are less friendly now, far from it. I am saying crime rate is through the roof in recent years, and getting more and more violence as well. And because of the politicians and police still live in denial, criminals are getting darer and darer.

Yours Sincerely

Mr Koh
Malaysian Tourist Dept.
KL
19 Sep 2013 1:00PM
GrinGrinGrinGrin
I am doing a good job, innit? Tongue

maybe not..... our government and police department have done a good job.
kit-monster 16 3.7k 2 Singapore
19 Sep 2013 2:05PM

Quote:sorry the guy who thinks you can take insects in Malaysia with a 100mm or a 24-70 has never tried.

I live on the Malay peninsular and they're the only two lenses I use for insect photography.

Have a good trip, you've been before, taken a whole stack of lenses before, know your own style of photography, so you choose.
13 Oct 2013 3:05PM
annettep38 Plus
8 219 42 Costa Rica
13 Oct 2013 3:16PM
Our friends here told me about this story, but the chances of me going into downtown KL WITHOUT our friends are pretty slim. I trust them fully to know best where to go and what to avoid.

As to the gear, I have not regretted what I did, only Friday night I could have done with the 14-24. I never keep money or documents in my bag, only camera... which never leaves me. BTW I tend to sling the very old and unbreakable strap round min arm so no chance of getting it.
13 Oct 2013 3:32PM
Oh, you have been then (or still there)?
Nice one, hope you enjoyed it. It is a fabulous country.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.