Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

What Tripod?

5 Oct 2017 7:35PM
Hi all, I have recently acquired a Nikon D750 and am in the process of getting a tripod for it to sit on, I have a budget of between 100 - 200, most of the shoots will be out in the elements and not in a studio. Does anybody on here have any recommendations on what one to get?

Cheers

Manny
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2017 10:28PM
Giottos and manfrotto are two brands i can recommend. Like any camera gear - think carefully about the features you need before you purchase. E.g. Weight, flexibility, size. Also remember that at this price point you may need to buy a head as a seperate item.

If you can wait a month there maybe some good Xmas deals
Fma7 6 1.1k United Kingdom
5 Oct 2017 10:55PM
3 legged, definitely 3 legged Smile
LesleyJ 14 247 England
6 Oct 2017 6:48AM
I use Vanguards tripods which i love
6 Oct 2017 7:25AM
Thanks all so far, I was looking at the looking at Manfrotto's and Vanguard's products especially, we may have to dig a little deeper lol

Cheers

Manny
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 7:58AM
I never got on with my Vanguard tripod. In particular I found it problematic to go very low - this is an example of what I mean by checking the feature set before you purchase. I prefer to use tripods which will fit a shortened centre column. Whilst the vanguard allowed me to adjust the legs to go very low to the ground, to do so required the swinging of the centre column. In practice I found this fiddly and it seriously unbalanced my kit whilst the adjustment was being made - not good in particular landscapes! A shortened centre column allows me to go as low as possible without needing to move the centre column out of the way. I have to say, I was disappointed recently to learn that some of the latest manfrotto tripods no longer takes a shortened column...
Ross_D 7 841 1 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 8:57AM
I have always thought thta it is better to see tripods 'in the flesh' so to speak as it gives you the chance to feel the weight, test the rigidity etc. Obviously, if there are no photographic shops near you then go for one of the main brands and wherever possible check out the reviews (ie on here or WEX/Amazon)
dark_lord Plus
17 2.8k 784 England
6 Oct 2017 12:03PM
If you're going to be shooting outside a lot are you going to be carrying the tripod for a while. If so weight is important but too light a tripod is counterproductive.
Carbon fibre ones would be worth a look in thst case but are likely to take you over budget.

As for centre colums, I removed mine ages ago (weirdly I came across it this morning at the back of the cupboard, first time I'd seen it in years Grin) and clearly haven't missed it.

Mine's a Manfrotto one by the way. Gitzo is another make, and on the whole are more expensive albeit very good. I'm not familiar with the current range (of either manufacturer) but they'd be where I'd start my search.

There's nothing wrong with getting legs from one manufacturer and a head from another.
alan6 14 70 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 1:58PM
I Have a Nikon D750 and use a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 tripod with a Manfrotto 498RC4 Ballhead attached and find it really great. Not too heavy either.
I believe the Ballhead has been replaced with another model but google it and you`ll be able to confirm.
I`ve used Manfrotto for many years and have always been happy with their equipment.
CBumpkin 13 32 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 10:46PM
Could have a look at SRB's On-It: minimum height just under 2 feet [550mm] with a payload maximum of 16 lbs [7.5kg]. Carbon fibre, carry case, quick release ball-and-socket, bubble level. And no, not an employee, but I do have one!
Jack57xc2 4 29
7 Oct 2017 11:50AM
have a d750 and a manfrotto carbon fibre tripod and it is very good. Not like my 3 legs one, which bits of it dropped off. I was told to return it but shoved it in a dustbin. Expensive crap.
7 Oct 2017 5:49PM
Well I have purchased a second hand Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 3 Section Tripod with MH055M0-Q5 Magnesium Pro Ball Head from eBay for 250.00, so looking forward to using it. Thanks for everyones input .

Manny

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.