Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

What was your first digital camera and do you still own it?

doolittle 10 2 3 South Africa
11 Oct 2017 4:21PM
I owned a Pentax Spotmatic (film) camera for many years. Around 2006 my son kept pushing me "to get with the program" and go digital. I eventually caved in and bought a Panasonic FZ7 - thinking I'm only likely to use it for holidays. Wow! I was so impressed with the image quality it wasn't long before I decided to take things more seriously and so I moved on to a Nikon D50. I later bought a D90 and then a D7100. I've recently bought a Fujifilm XT 10 for travel purposes and although I'm very happy with it I don't intend to move over from Nikon completely.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Euan65 2 316 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2017 6:46PM
The very first digital camera I had was some cheap nonsense that was given away free with a PC I bought. It was about 640 kilopixels, ran off four AA cells, was good for about three pictures before the batteries died but could act as a portable handwarmer whilst they lived, and needed a serial port on the computer to (very slowly) transfer the images. I had a Cosina C1 then (still have one) and frankly it was streets ahead.

Then I got a Fuji S602Zoom in 2003 and only gave it to a charity shop two years ago. That took some good shots - at the time, it was about the best you could get without spending silly money on pro gear. So what if it sounded like the Tardis dematerialising when you switched it on?

The first digital camera I used was some device our personnel department had (years ago, you see, they weren't called Human Resources) - it recorded images on floppy disk (remember them?). Real high density storage back then. You had to wait a few minutes between shots for it to finish writing to disk.
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
12 Oct 2017 12:01PM
My son bought one of those - I thought it was amazing! I went to Comets (remember them?) to buy one - a Sony. Fortunately, I couldn't afford it so I bought a 1.4Mp Toshiba after some hard bargaining. A bit slow to operate, no zoom, but I thought it was fantastic.

I slipped the smartcard into a device shaped like a floppy disk - which I then inserted into the floppy drive. The image files were then loaded to the hard disk by a graphics program that came with device.

Happy days!

Incidentally, I still have the camera, in the loft.
LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
14 Oct 2017 7:31AM
Technically my first digital camera was an OM4 film camera.
The OM4 seems to be one of the first cameras to use a ceramic clock (or similar) for electronic control of most camera functions.
My first digital sensor body was a D200 which could not quite equal 100 ISO slide film or the era.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2017 8:52PM
my first was an Agfa ePhoto 1280 0.8 MP Digital Camera
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
14 Oct 2017 10:17PM

Quote:I slipped the smartcard into a device shaped like a floppy disk - which I then inserted into the floppy drive. The image files were then loaded to the hard disk by a graphics program that came with device.

Clarification: After removal from the camera, of course - then inserted the dummy floppy disk (with the card in) into the PCs floppy disk drive - then used the software to load to the PCs hard disk drive and then view the images. (The software, which came with the disk, was previously installed).
Zydeco_Joe 13 84 1 England
23 Nov 2017 4:40PM
Still own and on rear occasions use for stuff around the house like copying paper work etc a Nikon Coolpics 995. It only has a 3.1Mp but one of the A3 prints from it was used back in the day by the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain (PAGB) in a international comp that we as a country of I think 12 prints won the Gold Medal. Not bad for such a small sensor camera.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.