Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What were the top visual clichés for 2012?

NEWMANP Plus
7 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 8:01PM
Cheers Dave, is 20 odd layers that heavily photoshoped ? Grin at the club comps, there are too many blurred racing squirrels and waterfalls for my liking

Hobbo, that bloody tree - has gone as far as i am aware so there will probably be less next year.

too many landscapes with no real light on epz

Phil

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
6 5.2k 29 England
31 Dec 2012 8:09PM
Some of the captions could be a bit more imaginative too. Getting a bit tired of "Who're you lookin' at?!". Grin
Paul Morgan Plus
14 16.9k 6 England
31 Dec 2012 8:12PM
Its a bit like the mags, what evers in season Smile
saltireblue Plus
5 4.9k 28 Norway
31 Dec 2012 8:13PM

Quote:Wot Jools said Wink
The year of the seascape
What do you predict for next year then?

Unfortunately:

The year of the seascape
Hali 4 44 Scotland
31 Dec 2012 8:35PM

Quote:Less captive birds and animals masquerading as 'wildlife/nature'. Might as well take photos of sheep and chickens!

I like taking photos of sheepTongue: :lol:
comma 7 104 6 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 8:44PM
I think 2013 will be big for composites with people who are positioned like half-giants floating in mid-air.
comma 7 104 6 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 9:01PM
i am also intending to buy the new Lee Mega Stopper (1000 stop ND), so I can take seascapes where the water completely disappears and I get to do star trails in a oner. By combining three exposures, I get to witness the next stage of evolution and perhaps the end of the world.
Paintman Plus
8 970 175 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 9:13PM

Quote:Hobbo, that bloody tree - has gone as far as i am aware so there will probably be less next year.

There is anotherSmileSmile
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
31 Dec 2012 9:47PM

Quote:I am starting to get a bit weary of HDR, mostly when that is all an image is about.

If HDR is well done for the best reasons, it should not be possible to tell that it has been used. Think of HDR as an essential technique in certain circumstances, rather than as a "style".
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
31 Dec 2012 9:52PM
....actually, I was not really aware of any new clichés in 2012. Many of the old ones were still in evidence but some of them were happily seen less often:

e.g

* Grotesque distortion of foreground perspective in landscapes by using ultra w/a lenses

* Milky waterfalls and beach scenes by overuse of ND filters

* Oversaturated and over-sharpened images.

* Pasting in full moons in locations that are astronomically impossible

Of course, all of those techniques, if done in moderation in appropriate circumstances, can produce good images. It is only when they get used as clichés for clichés sake that they get overbearing.
StrayCat Plus
11 16.4k 2 Canada
31 Dec 2012 10:02PM
Just as I was adjusting to taking photos of animals in cages.Tongue

Still haven't gotten round to doing my first HDR, but when I do, watch out; there'll be no stopping me.Wink

People's attempts at recreating Steve McCurry's (I think that's his name) iconic image of the Afghan girl. It's getting soooo boring.

Next year for me will be lots and lots of butterfly images, animals in cages, plants from around the world in a conservatory, captive penguins, unsuspecting pretty girls, and a tonne of macro images, I hope.

Cheers Paul, hope you and Magda are well, and good shooting in 2013.

Denny

PS: Coming in 2013...lots of photos of dinosaurs.
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 10:59PM
I agree with rev2, what is the point of taking a photo of a tame bird of prey?
User_Removed 7 736 4
31 Dec 2012 11:54PM
Robins. HDR. HDR robins.
Tooth 10 5.8k 227 Ireland
1 Jan 2013 1:03AM

Quote:i am also intending to buy the new Lee Mega Stopper (1000 stop ND), so I can take seascapes where the water completely disappears and I get to do star trails in a oner. By combining three exposures, I get to witness the next stage of evolution and perhaps the end of the world

well, I'm getting the Lee Hypermegastopper.. (100,000 stop ND)

I'm going to use it to show the majesty of the ever-changing landscape by taking a year long shot which blends all four seasons together into one blurry average for the year, which looks a bit strange and ethereal but makes you wonder what the point is

Wink Smile Tongue

HNY y'all
eddwillis 3 1
1 Jan 2013 8:03AM
Good news then Hobbo that tree blew down in May

eddwillis

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.