What would be a good starter D-SLR?

miptog 16 3.6k 65 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2010 3:37PM
What's his budget as this will be the key factor in deciding what to buy?
Arvorphoto Plus
11 144 6 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2010 2:42PM
I would guess for 350-400.
thewilliam 13 6.1k
8 Dec 2010 5:10PM
Devote a good chunk of your budget to a nice lens because the glass rather than the body really determines the quality of the pix.

If you buy carefully secondhand and your nephew doesn't like it, he can change marque with a minimal loss. Previous generation digibodies are virtually worthless, yet capable of great results.
miptog 16 3.6k 65 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2010 5:52PM
Sony Alpha 550 + 18-55 Kit lens for 449

LINK
Perry_95 11 59 1 Wales
8 Dec 2010 8:01PM
If you are looking at the Pentax K-x then a great place to buy it is in curry's as it is 399 as in most places but for an 18-55mm AND 50-200mm lens!
Arvorphoto Plus
11 144 6 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2010 11:16PM
Thanks again all for your added thoughts and info.

Certainly I agree the lens should take priority.

Mmmm......

Must take him out to get a feel of different camera bodies as well as I find some just don't sit comfy in the hand, something I think that is important if you are using it a lot.

The weekend is taking shape I think.....
Alokchitri 11 61 India
9 Dec 2010 3:15AM
I am not sure about the exact price of the D3100 in UK, but it should be within 400, or a little over. This camera is a new launch, and offers 1080p video shoot with continuous focis tracking as an Extra feature, and I beleive this particular feture is unavailable in any other model of similar class. As your nephew will be a starter, with this he can also experiment with video shoot beside Stills, and with no extra investment. I would suggest that you do a comparitive study of all the models suggested here and decide yourself. Smile
Happy hunting
timiano 17 894 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 10:37AM
First thought, if you've got Sony A-Mount lenses, then being the doting uncle you are, it would make sense to get an entry level A-Mount camera and let him borrow some of your kit now and again. So as a few others have said, Sony Alpha 450/550 with kit lens.

The other option that springs to mind, is micro four thirds. There's either the G10 at about 320, or the G2 at 450, both with 14-42mm kit lens. What's attractive about this format, is that your nephew will have access to a raft of legacy manual focus glass and not feel limited by having very little money to buy modern glass - as we all know it's quite expensive. He also gets to learn photography the hard (some might say better) way, by slowing him down and considering the shots that bit more.
9 Dec 2010 11:48AM
My suggestion would be to look at Canon/Nikon because of the availability of cheaper 3rd party lenses. As he is young he may find the cost of lenses prohibitive. Worth looking at 2nd hand kit and as another option look at something like the Canon G10/G12 where you still have all the manual functions but he wont have to shell out on lenses etc. If he gets serious and decides on his style then he can decide on which D-SLR to buy.

As many of us have found although we love our DSLR's they seem to be a never ending drain on our wallets.

Chris
juliesmith 11 1 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 5:25PM
i want to buy my first slr digital camera,im currently using a compact and needed a bit of advice
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
9 Dec 2010 5:36PM

Quote:I would guess for 350-400

Well PC world are doing a cheap deal on a basic Sony Kit for 299, 100 off, leaving a little change for memory cards and other bits and bobs.
Dave_ 17 60 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2010 1:05PM

Quote:My suggestion would be to look at Canon/Nikon because of the availability of cheaper 3rd party lenses. As he is young he may find the cost of lenses prohibitive.

Chris

This was my thought as well, I tried Olympus for a while but when the time to upgrade came I went back to Canon. The major reason was the scarcity of anything but expensive Oly lenses. Even when a cheaper brand (eg. Sigma) lens is actually made, not many dealers actually bother to keep them in stock.

Have a look at the ads in any magazine and note how many quote Canon/Nikon mount availability compared to the other brands.
Arvorphoto Plus
11 144 6 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2010 8:33PM
Plenty of food for thought from everybody.

I shall go digest it all and take my nephew around and have a closer look.
Already had a look at the Pentax and certainly has a good feel about it.

Cheers
Daryl
Alokchitri 11 61 India
14 Dec 2010 5:29PM

Quote:Plenty of food for thought from everybody.

I shall go digest it all and take my nephew around and have a closer look.
Already had a look at the Pentax and certainly has a good feel about it.

Cheers
Daryl

Get a feel of D3100 from NIKON and you would surely feel great... Smile
ianclark12 10 20 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2010 11:59AM
Go for the Nikon D3100 bought myself one two weeks ago as soon as I got home my teennage daughter took charge of it and within days was producing some beautiful pictures.
When i had the chance to try it I found it simple to use and with the Guide mode it tells you all you need to know

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.