Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

Whatever happened to Pentax?

supertak 14 1 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2007 2:26PM
People were saying the same about Pentax over 10 years ago but they're still here and still innovating.

The K10D is one of the best cameras Pentax have ever made (up there with the LX and Z-1p) and compared with the D80 it's a bargain (same price but with dust removal and SR on ANY lens).

Some magazines are stupidly comparing the K10D with the Canon 400D (just because they're both 10mp) and conclude the Pentax is poor value for money! The fact the Canon has a cheap penta-mirror, cheap construction, no SR, no dust removal, limited interface (one dial) seems lost on them.

I almost considered a D200, despite the cost, but the release of the K10D shows nothing really happened to Pentax.
mdpontin 16 6.0k Scotland
25 Jan 2007 4:28PM
Take a look at this piece on Luminous Landscape, if you're interested in some thought-provoking opinion on Pentax and the 'big boys' (i.e. Canon and Nikon). Also a nice 'first look' assessment of the K10D.

Doug
tepot 16 4.4k United Kingdom
25 Jan 2007 4:55PM
My very first SLR was the Pentax K1000 fully manual which i absolutely loved, eventually i sold it to my dad and bought the Minolta X300 which has aperture priority as i wanted to try some automation, i'd probably still use it today if not for the advent of the DSLR....times move on i guess!
KenTaylor 16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2007 5:23PM
Thats a good link Doug. The recent Hoya partnership and Samsung shows the determination of Pentax.

I have been keeping an eye on the K10D with my interest growing with every article. The one feature I most admire Pentax for is the DNG raw format that no doubt Canon and Nikon will be watching and persuaded to hand over the keys and let the user decide.
Ken
User_Removed 16 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2007 5:46PM
I've been using the Samsung GX-10 this week and I have to say it has impressed me, has some great features and gives excellent results.
Merl
mdpontin 16 6.0k Scotland
25 Jan 2007 7:59PM
I've been looking around at other options since Konica Minolta sold their camera division to Sony (I have a Dynax 7D). Whilst I could stick with Sony, there are a number of reasons why I'm thinking seriously of a complete change. Of course there are the obvious choices of Canon or Nikon, but...

I bought a Pentax ME Super back in the 1980s and loved it. The K10D is strongly tempting me back to the Pentax brand - I've seen several reviews and recently took the potentially fateful step of handling the camera in one of my local Jessops stores, and it really does look like a very good camera.

Doug
User_Removed 16 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2007 10:00PM
P.S. Samsung camera is a Pentax K10D in disguise - allegedly.
owen_john 14 29 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2007 1:25PM
"P.S. Samsung camera is a Pentax K10D in disguise - allegedly."

Nearly the same,but not quite, can pick the GX10 up from Argos with twin lense kit for 599.
welshwizard 15 106 Wales
26 Jan 2007 1:32PM
New Firmware update has been announced for the K10D which gives it additional functionality..

Wonder if Sumsang will offer the same with the GX10??
Mark_Readman 15 922
26 Jan 2007 3:11PM
They never invested in a flagship dslr
BigK 15 8
26 Jan 2007 10:39PM
I think Pentax are well and truly focused on being a serious player in this market and have just recently sponsored a high profile professional photographer "Benjamin Kanarek" who has jumped ship from canon to Pentax.

Found these comments by him most interesting - particularly 645D in 6 months.

I often used the Canon 1DS MKll, specifically for the EDF campaign. Loved it. Look at what my partnership with Pentax allows me to do. I can choose between a very mobile and light venue such as the K10D that is more than adequate for what I am being published in. If I need to go larger which is not often, I will use a Pentax 645 with a Dalsa back perhaps. In six months I will use the new 645D for jobs that require that kind of resolution. Just have a look at my Lumas Gallery images. They have been blown up to 1.2 meters by .80 meters from an 8 mega pixel image interpolated in soft bicubic in PS and the prints are amazing. I know that Pentax will be working on some very interesting solutions in regards to full frame imaging as well as competitive medium format digital solutions. The fact that Pentax have expertise in both domains is very attractive to me. I know that future looks very promising for Pentax...We shall see.

Here is a link to some of his work

http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.asp?langue_id=2&owner_id=5144

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.