Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

When is a photograph not a photograph ?

pabloisme 10 566 England
11 Oct 2011 8:53AM
what on earth are we talking about? why define what is art?

(some like tracy emmin and call that art, mmmm we used to call it a totters yard)

loads of people have wasted lots of good photo time (or art time?) defining it

In photography: take what you like, and laugh in the face of critics, poor craftsmen and deep thinkers

Goethe defined art as a second nature founded on the very basic fundaments of insight and on the innermost character of things. SO THERE IS ANOTHER KNOW IT ALL!

or as they say "where goethe thou?" & I SAY "I'M OFF TO TAKE SOME PIX"

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2011 10:17AM
A photo is a fair representation of a scene from a shortish period in time.
A Non photo is a creation/composite that was not visible at that time.

Black and White photo's are typically still photo's observed with a reduced colour space.
Radio telescopes and thier coloured images are photo's

But images and compositions, even fractels, are somtimes really great as they can depict ideas way beyond what we can see.
If www.eImageZine.com existed i'd belond to that too.
Let the recordists and artists live together in harmony.

But should images be entered into photo compertions ? depends on the rules.
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
11 Oct 2011 10:57AM

Quote:When is a photograph not a photograph ?

29th Feb
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
11 Oct 2011 11:07AM

Quote:When is a photograph not a photograph ?

29th Feb

or April 1st

11 Oct 2011 12:46PM
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/samsung-photography-competitions---winners-announced-17587

I've just looked at the winner of a photograph competition for the 'compact SAMSUNG' camera.
One of the winners, though good, is not a photograph to me; it's a photoshop editing job, I believe, derived from photos and would be a good for an advertising promotion. It's artwork.
(JackAllTog: sums it up correctly for me).
But, I don't know the rules of this particular competition.
Are these competitions 'photograph' competitions or they 'artwork' competitions ?
I might have to become a graphics artist as well.
IMHO.
SlowSong Plus
11 9.0k 30 England
11 Oct 2011 12:51PM

Quote:When is a photograph not a photograph ? - 29th Feb

Ah, that explains why I didn't upload anything that day. Wink
pabloisme 10 566 England
11 Oct 2011 3:32PM

Quote:When is a photograph not a photograph ? - 29th Feb
droll

but amusing!
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
15 Oct 2011 11:52AM
I must have commented on this topic many times over the years. For amateur photographers you surely have to look to the various institutes and authorities such as the Royal Photographic Society, Photographic Alliance of Great Britain, Photographic Society of America, Federation Internationale de L'Art Photographique (Worldwide). They only stipulate that the "photograph" is all your own work apart from two topics. For photojournalism and Natural History competitions, you are not allowed to distort the truth. So for Photo journalism, you could correct an exposure error but could certainly not clone a person in or out. For natural history, it would be acceptable to clone out an annoying twig or stran of grass but you must not alter the key subject or habitat. For all other photography anything is permitted. As far as I am aware, in professional photography there are similar restriction in photojourmalsim as I am sure there is in forensic and other scientific photography but otherwise anything goes.

As is often pointed out, photography always seems to be in the art department of colleges not the science department.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.