Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

When is hdr too cartoony

Eckyboy 8 51 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2016 9:01AM
Are both too cartoony here?
210217_1457773284.jpg

210217_1457773299.jpg
daveupton 13 18 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2016 9:11AM
Looking at your portfolio I don't think you need HDR your photos are excellent.
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
12 Mar 2016 9:34AM
You could negate the effect in the second one by reducing saturation and sharpness. The first looks totally wrong.

Try doing it manually by dodging and burning. I suspect you only need to bring the sky back?
arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2016 9:54AM
The problem with HDR programs, is that they take away the users control over what they can do to with the individual bracketed exposures taken.
A more realistic looking image can be created using the best exposure of the building, mask in the best sky exposure, then dodge/burn any other details necessary with further brackets.
That said, I have seen some good, realistic results from HDR programs, so it all comes down to what you want to ultimately create - realism or surrealism.
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
12 Mar 2016 10:02AM
HDR is wrong whenever you can tell its HDR.
12 Mar 2016 10:16AM
Thanks for comments. I am using photoshop so there's some control over the hdr effect although found it hard to use and just mucked about until I thought it looked ok (might be better with say Easy HDR )
12 Mar 2016 10:19AM
I suppose it's HDR versus using filters and bit of editing
12 Mar 2016 10:23AM

Quote:The problem with HDR programs, is that they take away the users control over what they can do to with the individual bracketed exposures taken.
A more realistic looking image can be created using the best exposure of the building, mask in the best sky exposure, then dodge/burn any other details necessary with further brackets.
That said, I have seen some good, realistic results from HDR programs, so it all comes down to what you want to ultimately create - realism or surrealism.

Will look into that masking business although sounds complicated))
12 Mar 2016 10:23AM
Ironically, one of my photos in our camera club competition this week was marked down because "..these days we all know you can drag the saturation sliders over to the right, so judges expect it - you should have done that and made it more "punchy"..."

Sod realism.
12 Mar 2016 10:24AM
You should also mask out the ghosted figures, where people have moved between shots - that's a dead giveaway.
tom67 13 1 England
12 Mar 2016 10:26AM
I used to use HDR software and loved the results, nowadays I am not using it, probably because I have moved more into portraits of women...HDR is not a good plan for this!!
The main problem with most HDR images is the haloing effect, there is some control available for this, but as someone else suggested dodging and burning can create some equally exciting effects.

At the end of the day it is your choice! If you like what you are doing then carry on!!

Tom
12 Mar 2016 10:29AM
I also used to use it a lot but find for most of my work now, Lightroom can pull so much detail from the highlights and shadows, I make do with that.
12 Mar 2016 10:50AM
How does Lightroom do this, and can earlier versions of photoshop do the same (I have cs5)
12 Mar 2016 10:55AM
When you convert from RAW, there are sliders for blacks, whites, highlights and shadows. You can also do the same thing with the curves tool.
I can't remember which version of PS introduced it as I'm on CC now, but it will also depend on your camera, and what dynamic range it captures.
arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2016 11:20AM
Re masking, yes it takes time initially to familiarise yourself with the technique, but like most things, the more you do it the easier/quicker it gets.
Just do a you tube search for 'replacing skies in photoshop' - that will certainly help you on your way.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.