Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

When to calibrate !

Daffy1 11 381 Ireland
1 Jul 2016 5:55PM
Hi All
Is it better to calibrate your monitor in daylight or in the dark ? Just wondering

Damian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

themak 5 1.0k Scotland
1 Jul 2016 6:03PM
If you use Spyder calibration, it will tell you when the light level is suitable. It will be a pretty subdued level, but not daylight or dark.
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
1 Jul 2016 6:53PM
Basically, calibrate it under the conditions it will be used which should not be extreme and free from glare. You can actually allow for glare in the Spyder calibration but its better not to have it.
hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
1 Jul 2016 7:21PM
Interesting this....

Owing to my recent upgrade from a Windows XP PRO PC, to a laptop running Windows 10 for my photo processing, I not only lost TOPAZ filters, but my Eye One Monitor Calibrator.....I was devastated.

In desparation, I did a little research.....then discovery if in PHOTOSHOP you go to FILE/ COLOUR Profiles.......then click on PHOTOSHOP 1989 .....

I did, and I have had nothing but praise for my post processing since.150445_1467397260.jpg

A tech, savvy friend states that LED monitors don't drift very much anyway...... So a repeat of the above every year or so should keep things looking right.......Right?

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
1 Jul 2016 8:15PM

Quote:In desparation, I did a little research.....then discovery if in PHOTOSHOP you go to FILE/ COLOUR Profiles.......then click on PHOTOSHOP 1989 .....

Not sure what you mean here, there is no option for colour profiles under the file menu and there is no profile named photoshop 1989, perhaps you mean aRGB 1989.

Monitor profiles control how things appear on your specific device.

When to calibrate and profile... as said you should do this in the conditions that you normally edit in, simply try to make sure that your normal environment is pretty neutral and not subject to big changes in light levels, maybe look at a monitor hood (you can make one yourself) and you should be good to go. Unless you have a dedicated editing area you will never reach perfection...

Phil
SlowSong Plus
10 8.0k 30 England
1 Jul 2016 8:29PM
Just to throw a spanner in the works, my colour profile went haywire when I upgraded to w10 and elements 14. I documented it on a forum on epz. Eventually I turned off colour management and ignored the monitor profile. It now works perfectly.
Also, a while ago I calibrated my monitor using Spyder, but it turned everything mauve and I had to return to a previous state. Never again.
Seems there's no magic bullet when it comes to colour profiling.
1 Jul 2016 9:28PM

Quote:Also, a while ago I calibrated my monitor using Spyder, but it turned everything mauve and I had to return to a previous state
One thing to watch here is that the eye/brain do not react in an objective way.

If you have a car wit tinted windows and open the window slightly, you will notice that the sky is pink.through the open part. Your brain knows from experience the likely colour of the sky and makes it the colour it expects it to be, eliminating the window tint. By looking at it through the pen bot of window, you are given a sna[shoit pf the colour correction it is applying.

When i used to shoot Kodachrome day in day out for foreign publications (the UK was still mono for years), I started to 'see' colour a Kodachrome perceived it. I would look at a person under a tree on a bright day and they would appear blue and i would know what warm up filter to apply. No, in days of auto white balnce, that skill has left me. It is all subjective.

If you use a monitor set to a color temperature of 4000 deg k it ill not be long before you see that as the norm and a properly calibrated monitor will appear horrendously blue. The purpose of colour calibration is not to provide pleasant viewing but an agreed standard, that's all. If _everyone_ agreed that 3000 deg k was the standard for monitors, that would be fine.
SlowSong Plus
10 8.0k 30 England
1 Jul 2016 10:11PM
I understand about colour, but if mine was out by a vast amount I'm sure it would show in my images here or in print. I've no problems with either as far as I can see, and projected images at my club look fine too.
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
2 Jul 2016 9:41AM
I agree with Chris.
I've always thought of all this business of calibration as being akin to snake oil.
I've never calibrated either of my monitors; nor any of their predecessors, yet my images look fine to me, both here and on other people's machines (I have looked).
Likewise, any prints that I make, or have made for me.
2 Jul 2016 9:44AM
I was fixing my TV once. Picture looked great but electric parameters of a circuit board were considerably off. When I asked an advice of an experienced master the answer was "Do you look at the screen or at the board?"
Since then I apply this approach to everything, including my photography. If it works satisfactory - it is correct.
I had problems with colour in the past, but since I stopped toying with profiles, etc. and left it as it was set for me by manufacturer problems did not dare to pop up.
With that, I do not print really large images. So this approach may have limitations of its own.
2 Jul 2016 10:53AM
There is one and one only reason for calibration. It is the same reason as the establishment of Greenwich Mean Time. It provides a standard reference point for others so that they can cooperate effectively.

For me, it means that when I supply pictures I can be confident that the people who want them will see near enough what I do since they are calibrated to the same standard as me. When I have prints made, I know that my prints made in a professional lab will look exactly as I expect them to. When published online or printed, they will look quite different. But just as a clock can gain or lose time, that doesn't mean you don't set it accurately.

There always seems a tendency to see things as better or worse but calibration is nothing to do with that. Colour accuracy is neither here nor there outside of technical considerations. Sensors themselves differ in colour sensitivity, makers apply corrections, software changes things. It's chaos if what you want is colour accuracy. But does anyone imagine that Constable wanted his blues to match exactly the colour of the sky he painted? Of course not. All he required was as consistent mixing as possible from his paint supplier so that he knew what he was buying and thus the results he would get when he used it.

Calibration is of use only when all devices are calibrated to the same standard and all the devices it will be viewed on are capable of displaying to that standard. If someone's work looks purple after calibration and shows that way on all devices common sense tells you there is something amiss with the calibration or the calibrator.

If you have a good quality monitor, it's best to make your work look the way you want it to in the knowledge that it will look just fine to most other viewers. Calibration is not relevant. If you are sending it to a professional business, however, calibration to the same standards each end mean that you are all speaking the same language. Once it leaves that professional circuit, anything can happen but the professional part has been done more quickly and effectively because of the calibration.
SlowSong Plus
10 8.0k 30 England
2 Jul 2016 11:24AM

Quote: If someone's work looks purple after calibration and shows that way on all devices common sense tells you there is something amiss with the calibration or the calibrator.
Or operator error. But then, I'm not a professional. Wink
Dave_Canon 12 1.5k United Kingdom
2 Jul 2016 12:17PM
I use dual monitors and they are similar Dell models. One of the monitors always seems to be fairly accurate but the other drifts over a couple of months or so both in brightness and colour. I normally calibrate both monitors every 3 months. Last week I upgraded from W7 to W10 and initially found the monitors were well out of calibration even though W10 had automatically used the previous profiles. I was not surprised as others have reported this. I re-calibrated with my Spyder 3 Pro and all is fine. My impression is that some LCD monitors do not change much but I have one that does so, if I did not have a calibrator, it would be unusable for photography.

Dave
thewilliam 10 6.1k
2 Jul 2016 1:12PM
When using dual monitors, do you always use the better one for displaying the picture for colour-grading purposes. Many workers use the second screen for palettes etc where colour fidelity is less critical.
Daffy1 11 381 Ireland
2 Jul 2016 3:01PM
Thanks for all your comments . I think I wiil leave it alone as my monitor and prints are OK. Damain

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.