Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

When to calibrate !

Dave_Canon 12 1.5k United Kingdom
2 Jul 2016 3:29PM

Quote:When using dual monitors, do you always use the better one for displaying the picture for colour-grading purposes. Many workers use the second screen for palettes etc where colour fidelity is less critical.

You are right that while my monitors are in theory equally as good, one is much older and drifts faster. For that reason I use the older monitor as the secondary monitor. For LR you do see the image on both screens but for editing I rely on the primary monitor. For Photoshop, I use the secondary monitor for all the pallettes as you suggest. Of course for this reason I can have all the pallettes open.

Dave

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
2 Jul 2016 3:40PM

Quote:Or operator error. But then, I'm not a professional
I've seen plenty of operator errors from professionals too and plenty have seen operator errors from me.

There's always been a problem in the UK about taking about amateurs and professionals because amateur has a somehow picked up a pejorative 'inexpert' meaning but there's no there are no other terms that mean the same. Professional earns a living from it, amateur does it for enjoyment. I am an amateur now but I don't feel put down by that at all. I have met professionals who are less competent than amateurs and vice-versa. However, you are only likely to come across a fully integrated workflow between photographic and graphic disciplines in a professional milieu. That's not because one is clever and the other not, it is because it is of value in one and not the other.

I can relate it to my guitar. I plug it in to a ten watt amp because only I and some friends hear it. I could plug in to a amp and then put it through a large PA system. I don't because I have no requirement to feed my sound out to thousands of people in an arena or for a particularly finely controllable sound. Like calibration, It's not better or worse, just different.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.