Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

When would a Pro shoot JPG instead of RAW?

PeterLondon 16 366
29 Mar 2006 1:11PM
If you count award winning photojournalists as pros then the answer is all the time.

In todays competitive world pictures have to be ediited, captioned and transmitted in 10-15 minutes or they miss the boat. The only way to achieve that even in areas with good 3g coverage is with jpegs compressed to down to about 1mb.

Many press photographers are now using a package that runs on the pocket pc to manage the whole edit, crop, caption and transmission process. Adding RAW conversion into that would not be viable with todays processing power.

In a remote location such as the recent earthquake in Kashmir then image transmission will be via sat phone and even 1mb files take ages to transmit so again RAW is not really practical.

I would imagine many sports photographers are also using jpegs especially for the remote cameras behind the goals etc as changing cards is not practical and even if it were the extra steps in the workflow make RAW an unattractive option.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Mar 2006 1:28PM
Quite a few shoot both together. I know of a number who also shoot exclusively RAW and simply batch them off...the speed issue isn't one if you get the workflow sorted.

In the studio...and I've also done it out in the field with the minimum of fuss... we fire RAW files down the pipe to clients. On some shoots I never even see the files until they appear at press or chroma stage.

Commercial photographers wouldnt shoot anything but RAW and by that I mean COMMERCIAL photographers not what passes for them.

I have a 1Ds that has never shot a jpg in it's life.
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
29 Mar 2006 2:52PM
I'll bet far more pros shoot JPEG than they let on!!

Probably when the novelty value of shooting RAW has worn off and they find they don't get any more money for the extra time spent processing RAW!!

;-D
peterjones 19 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2006 7:28PM
CB I started shooting JPEG and graduated to RAW only Smile At a wedding RAW gives me the dynamic range in case I muck up an exposure!

Using Rawshooter Batch Convert I have the advantages of RAW and JPEG and spend very little time in front of the PC.

Rgds. Peter
Frank_Reid 15 227 1 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2006 8:51PM
It has been said before press photographers will shoot jpg for about 90% of their working week however if needs must then we will shoot raw.
Take me for a sample, I am doing Hartlepool United tomorrow night against Oldham Athletic. About 2games ago I would have done the game in jpg.... then i was given advice and now shoot night games in raw WHEN I can, with the Nikon D2h and D2hs I can shoot raw and high jpg at the same time, yes it will use a bit more cards (so use them all) but for me it is worth it to have the best of both worlds... those of you who get the Oldham evening paper can have a look on Monday and tell me what you think.....
As for today I will be shooting every job in jpg..... unless
Frank
IanA 17 3.0k 12 England
29 Mar 2006 9:41PM
It's very much a case of horses for courses!

Ok, I was weaned (digitally speaking) on a camera that shoots RAW only, but now still shoot exclusively in RAW. That's because I need to remove as many of the (various) camera manufacturers ideas of what their Jpegs should come out like and get to the pure resolving power of the lens.
If, however, I was in a race to be the first to get an image onto an editors desk, I'm sure that I would revert to jpeg for the speed angle.
95% of the time, the final image is delivered in Jpeg though!

Wink)
29 Mar 2006 9:48PM

Quote:I'll bet far more pros shoot JPEG than they let on!!

Than they let on?
The file format that dare not speak it's name?
The dirty jpg under the sofa?

Jeez.
andart 19 538 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2006 9:58PM
I read an interview in Photoshop User magazine with Moose Peterson (american wildlife tog, book author etc) and he said that he keeps his D2X on Raw+Jpeg as his clients prefer jpeg and he keep the Raw for himself incase he wants to make very large prints.
wotashot 17 2.2k
29 Mar 2006 9:59PM
I shoot Jpeg for sport and events where I have to upload about 200 images and the output wont be more than 12x8 usually (although Ive had a 30x20 from one before)

The rest of the time I shoot Rooooaaaar because you just never know, might need to make a huuuuge file from it for a stock library or print it larger and need no loss in quality cos of the dreaded jpeg compression, and at the end of the day you can always convert it to a jpeg and compress the hell out of it if you need to,

Jamie
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
30 Mar 2006 1:02AM
Cheers for that everyone, it's an intesting debate and it looks like press and sports are the place to use JPG - for speed reasons, and elsewhere, use JPG?

I do mainly landscape and architecture (and grim northern scenes Smile ) at the mo, so it's always been a no-brainer for me to shoot RAW, or RAW + Large Fine JPG.

I guess my mate had a valid point to an extent, but he'll shoot JPG for everything - regardless of the factors discussed above!
30 Mar 2006 1:04AM
Although I will spend a good part of this summer shooting next years LTA images for promo etc....and everyone will be a RAW file.
Wink
wotashot 17 2.2k
30 Mar 2006 1:08AM
Ade, the only reason I shoot Jpeg at the sports is because for the karting I need to have the shots edited and online the same day and at the football Its a frames per second thing.

All other times (and including sport where I don't need the buffer space or have to deal with large files quickly, i shoot raw,

jamie
sairyfairy 15 116 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2006 1:09AM
I am shooting a design conference tomorrow and they want to project a slide show for people leaving at the end so I will have to do that in jpeg Sad
Frank_Reid 15 227 1 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2006 1:47AM
or work fast.....
Frank
jonjeds 17 509
30 Mar 2006 2:07AM
I can't imagine the average pro photographer would give a toss about RAW snobbery. My guess is shoot RAW when there is any risk, when conditions are difficult or the shots are for the highest quality work. But I think most pro's would shoot JPEG when speed is of the essence, or maybe to email images quickly. I read an article a while ago about a sports photographer who shot mainly jpeg.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.